JungleJulia

TV Shows that help you feel better when you're anxious

I'm sure lots of you use tv to focus and relax when you're having a bad day. Some shows make me more anxious, and some make me feel good/ calm. I'd love your recommendations!!!!! Pls no spoilers :) In the past these have helped me: Arrested Development, Kath & Kim, Daria, Beavis & Butthead, All Aussie Adventures (with Russell Coight), Heroes, Gossip Girl, Pretty Little Liars..

lol @ Aussie Adventures.. can't imagine what that could be like haha

I dunno that there's any TV shows that help my anxiety.. but I suppose the brainless or funnier ones help.  Brooklyn Nine-Nine is good! :)

Hi JJ 

I don't watch a whole lot of TV but if I am having a sad day a you tube clip of babies doing the darnedest cutest things make me laugh. They are so innocent they don't even care if they are acting silly. 

Sigh... Can I have what their drinking :p 

5 hours ago, ashes said:

lol @ Aussie Adventures.. can't imagine what that could be like haha

I dunno that there's any TV shows that help my anxiety.. but I suppose the brainless or funnier ones help.  Brooklyn Nine-Nine is good! :)

I caught a bit of Brooklyn Nine Nine on tv a few months ago accidentally and it looked pretty funny, i'll have to try to watch more. 

Heres a clip from All Aussie Adventures :D

2 hours ago, rainbow said:

Hi JJ 

I don't watch a whole lot of TV but if I am having a sad day a you tube clip of babies doing the darnedest cutest things make me laugh. They are so innocent they don't even care if they are acting silly. 

Sigh... Can I have what their drinking :p 

Ooh yes youtube helps too. Babies and puppies and kittens :) 

• Like 1

I can't watch much tv because it causes me so much anxiety. My favs are Seinfeld, Friends and Everybody Loves Raymond. Yes, brainless and that's what I like!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bones0013 said:

I can't watch much tv because it causes me so much anxiety. My favs are Seinfeld, Friends and Everybody Loves Raymond. Yes, brainless and that's what I like!

Me too. I just pick specific shows that work for me. I love Seinfeld too :) Havent seen Everybody Loves Raymond tho!

Try Everybody Love Raymond sometime. Pretty funny!:) Seinfeld is my all time favorite. I watch it every day. Still makes me laugh know matter how many times I've seen it!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JungleJulia said:

Heres a clip from All Aussie Adventures :D

lol.. I imagined that spike going up there before he stood up :o

• Like 1

For me its The Vicar of Dibley, Keeping Up Appearances, The IT Crowd and Black Books.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Catherine84 said:

For me its The Vicar of Dibley, Keeping Up Appearances, The IT Crowd, Shaun the Sheep, Black Books, Kath and Kim and Modern Family. I also love Criminal Minds, Law and Order, The following and Suits.

Oh my gosh Catherine you're right, some of the British ones have helped me too! Vicar of Dibley, Kepping Up Appearances, Black Books and IT Crowd have all cheered me up when I've felt down :) I saw Dylan Moran from Black Books doing stand up when he came to Sydney last year. It was hard for me with anxiety to go into a crowded theatre but he was so funny I just focused on him :) 

• Like 1

You mentioned Beavis and Butthead lol....fire:p.There is plethora of animated comedy out but you really have to test the waters your self to find the flavor you like:)

Gilmore Girls or Friends always calms me down.  there is a series called planet earth and it is so calming and interesting to see different parts of the earth and animals that you don't even know existed.  sounds boring but its really good.  im not sure if you can download it anywhere but the show MONK Is really good.  about a former police officer and he is now a detective and he has OCD.  I really liked it.  it was funny too me cuz I could relate to a lot of things he did. 

For me it's always been the simpsons and friends :D and sometimes bernie mac show 

I've never thought about anxiety and tv shows calming me down...I'll have to try that...sometimes I'll lie down on my bed in my room and watch stuff on the Internet, and that calms me down if I'm anxious. 

I'm weird!  I watch no daytime TV unless I'm going to take a nap and then I watch re-runs of Flea Market Flip.  At night I watch BONES, Criminal Minds, Bull, Chicago Fire and Med, Bates Motel, Mercy Street and my favorite, 'The Walking Dead'.  Last Man Standing, American Housewife and The Middle are on the list, but only for those odd minutes while waiting for my fav's to come on. I don't find most comedy 'funny'.    BONES and Bates Motel will be finished in a few episodes but I've saved Ransom, Timeless, Designated Survivor and others for summer watching.  We have ACORN TV just so we can watch Murdoch Mysteries.  I fall asleep watching 'Dead End Street' from Season 4 every night.  

TV, in general, gets my mind off life.

• Like 1

I love watching 90's sitcoms when I'm feeling particularly anxious, just to distract my mind from all the anxiety: Third rock from the sun, Frasier, and Mad about you. In general though I watch a lot of science fiction, the Star Trek franchise has always been my favourite. Farscape, Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica (both the original and the remake), the X-Files, the expanse, and Firefly are also very good. I do love murder mysteries such as Hercule Poirot, Midsumer Murders, Father Brown,  Rosemary and Thyme, Miss Fisher's Murder Mystery, and psych.