Kylie21

worry about sleep ,can't sleep , anxious cycle :(

It's been a vicious cycle for me and one thing really making things worse . My sleep has been awful. If I do sleep I still wake feeling drained . Granted for the past three weeks I've had female time , loss of appetite snd bad sleep .  I lay awake and think about sleeping ( not good I know ) I worry before I even try to go to bed that I won't be able to sleep . With how tired I feel my anxiousness climbs . I try to do things to distract. I journal or watch a movie . It's very hard to read or focus when you feel in such a fog and so tired all the time . Then stupid doubt makes me worry something is really wrong to be this tired . I am currently in cbt therapy and we have talked about it . She made me rationalize it and realize I'm exhausted and all the weeks of higher anxiousness , lack of appetite and not sleeping well are just catching up to me . Sleep aids freak me out so I mostly try chamomile tea . Though I think I've drank it for so long it's not as effective as it use to be . I have melatonin though pharmacy said if u are really anxious it won't calm u to sleep . My doctor said to try it but it's not the lack of tired it's my mind won't shut up and I worry I won't sleep therefore not sleeping . Everyone around me is like a few good nights sleep will help u so much snd they are right but I get so irritable cause I am like of course I want to sleep and know it will help . I have .5 Ativan my dr gave me for as needed and I've debated trying it for a night or two just to give me a little help to relax . I don't like meds so I avoid it as much as possible. I've tried tv off though I always sleep with it on .. Funny enough has it off last night couldn't sleep l turned it on put a movie on and fell asleep not long after movie began .  I've tried the soothing sounds and they are calming but don't seem to help .

i get so upset about not sleeping that I know I make it worse . I will lay there till my husband comes to bed cause the comfort of him relaxes me . Or my kids will lay with me . I'm a grown woman and I feel ridiculous needing that but I do . 

Sleep is natural and here I lay worried about it . Tired all day , higher anxiety because I am worried about sleeping and my worrying sbout sleeping is what is making it all happen ! ? My therapist said I have to take  the pressure of sleep away .  That I am on a leave from work and a time right now doesn't matter . I am just so upset eith feeling tired m drained struggling to focus . Patience it takes time I know !!!! But sleep we need my body needs to heal and I don't know how to break this cycle .... Suggestions anyone ????? If my body was rested I know the other things would settle . But as many who suffer with sleep know when we are super tired everything seems so much more intense and stressful ..

thanks for listening to me rant .. Just needed an ear .

• Like 1

Hi Kylie 

I have been having sleep issues of lately. I did take something similar to Ativan for two nights and yes I had that fear of maybe not waking up but I thought I need sleep really badly especially if you are in a highly anxious state that you are. Taking it a for a few days won't harm you . 

You need to relax and just tell your mind I will have a good sleep . Try a bubble bath before you sleep. 

May I suggest going for a massage too I found that helped in the past for me. Your muscles are all tense too probably. 

((Hugs))... Amber ....  I can't cuddle with my hubby he snores too loud he would probably blow me right off the bed. Lol 

Hi Kylie, reading your post, you do seem to have a grasp on what is keeping you awake.  It can be summarised in to two words 'Nervous Anticipation" The fact that you worry even before you get in to bed sets up the sleeping issue.  Your mind cannot settle if it is full of fear and nervousness, no matter how tired you are.  I'll use that word i always use.. "Acceptance" If you can accept that everything you are feeling is down to that nervous anticipation, and all of the other things and feeling that come with it, you lose a bit of that fear and frustration.  If you know you cannot sleep because you are afraid of staying awake, you mind eases back a bit, that conflict resolves a little.  Practice practice practice.  Don't rush it, take as long as it takes.  I hope you can find a resolution and get a great nights sleep in :)

• Like 2

It really is a self-fulfilling prophecy Kylie and Mark is correct. You're worried about it before it even gets there. I understand, I used to get panic attacks at night and every night I'd be so keyed up I'd barely sleep. I know you're not a fan of meds and all that, but you also need to be a fan of you. I've taken benzos before, I still on occasion take Klonopin to sleep. It's not a big deal. I figure if it'll help, then why not? Right now, the situation you're in, you really need to try and get some rest as I know first hand for me, not sleeping really, really messes with my state of mind!

As Mark said, you need to allow yourself to feel your feelings. You associate things like fear with a negative. You feel that you need to do something instead of allowing yourself to just feel what's going on, accept it and accept the peace that comes with it. The single biggest thing is letting go of trying to control how things are and how they'll work. If you're going to sleep and you feel nervous, ask yourself why. Then decide if that fear is something you want to let go of. If you can let go of it and if you can, when? Embrace it, don't dismiss it or try and wish it away because it won't go away. Just let the feelings come to you and realize that it'll be ok. You can't run from it, so try and become more comfortable with it. Take the control away from your fears and give it to yourself and allow yourself to know that you'll be ok.

• Like 2

Try exercising during the day.It doesn't have to be strenuous.Also try to avoid napping when you are trying to get back on track with your sleep schedule.Just my personal experience on wrestling with insomnia.gl:)

hi Kylie....so sorry you're still going through this...I wish there was something I could say or do to make you relax and get to sleep. I know this is a vicious cycle for you right now..I really hope the ativan will work..just remember it isnt permanent and is only there to help your anxiety go down so you can get to sleep..I'm sure just a few nights with the ativan will help you get the sleep you need and restore your normal sleep pattern...

• Like 1

Hi Kylie, reading your post, you do seem to have a grasp on what is keeping you awake.  It can be summarised in to two words 'Nervous Anticipation" The fact that you worry even before you get in to bed sets up the sleeping issue.  Your mind cannot settle if it is full of fear and nervousness, no matter how tired you are.  I'll use that word i always use.. "Acceptance" If you can accept that everything you are feeling is down to that nervous anticipation, and all of the other things and feeling that come with it, you lose a bit of that fear and frustration.  If you know you cannot sleep because you are afraid of staying awake, you mind eases back a bit, that conflict resolves a little.  Practice practice practice.  Don't rush it, take as long as it takes.  I hope you can find a resolution and get a great nights sleep in :)

yup mark I do worry before I even sleep .heck before I even lay down .  I do need to accept that . I let myself get so worked up feeling so tired snd not taking it for what it is which is simple . High anxiety ,lack of good sleep for past few weeks will catch up to me . I'm not use to this so it's harder for me to accept and I know I need to . 

• Like 1

Hi Kylie 

I have been having sleep issues of lately. I did take something similar to Ativan for two nights and yes I had that fear of maybe not waking up but I thought I need sleep really badly especially if you are in a highly anxious state that you are. Taking it a for a few days won't harm you . 

You need to relax and just tell your mind I will have a good sleep . Try a bubble bath before you sleep. 

May I suggest going for a massage too I found that helped in the past for me. Your muscles are all tense too probably. 

((Hugs))... Amber ....  I can't cuddle with my hubby he snores too loud he would probably blow me right off the bed. Lol 

yea my husband and I talked and he's like u need to give ur body a rest . So I'll try it for next few nights 

• Like 1

I'm glad I found this I hope someone is still active on here. Mine started with anxiet and panic attacks. And getting no sleep. Suffered with anxiety for a month during the day. My mind racing what's wrong with me. Then night night come and immediately anxiety and can't even relax. I have Ativan I've taken that off and on for a about a mont in a half. Trying supplements did very little. My dr said he wouldn't give me Ativan so trazedone but that only worked for 4 days and only got 4 hours of sleep. It destroyed my stomach. So game me ambien and took ambien and Ativan to get full night sleep. I only take it every 3 4 days and only if I'm not able to initiate sleep. When I do sleep it's light sleep and wake up every hour or so. I want to get off these pills. I'm working with cbt and doing insomnia work book, but I feel like I'm failing because I resort to pills if it's bad. Since anxiety started all this. Dr gave me lexapro 5 just started I feel pretty tired but only got 3 hours of sleep. I feel like when I'm sleep deprived it just makes sleep worse. If your that sleep deprived should you just knock out? Not me it's 10x worse it scares me. I'm going to sleep study next week. Any of you guys find any hope? How's your journey now? 

Sleep is one of the best medicines for your body. Your doctor should work with you to find something to help you sleep. I find that i am 10x more anxious when i don't have enough sleep at night. Just know you are not alone. I too, suffer from anxiety and panic disorder. I also have obsessive thoughts and am constantly scanning my body for danger. Feel free to chat on here any time!

Hopefully, your sleep study will help you sort out that problem.

Hi Rlaz. Welcome to AC. :),.

You look a young woman so sleep deprivation is not going to do you a lot of harm. But one thing that will is worrying about it.

Not me it's 10x worse it scares me. I'm going to sleep study next week. Any of you guys find any hope?

Exactly! It scares you so much that it stops you sleeping. Who can sleep when they are scared? Anxiety can and does cause insomnia. Racing thoughts occur  at night because we are naturally tired. The mind becomes less resilient. Your sleep rhythm has been upset by the anxiety. Don't ever feel bad about taking medication. In the short term it can help by giving you breathing space. It gives you time to think about yourself and your lifestyle. Anxiety has fear at it's root, so you have to find what you are so afraid of. You are doing something about it so keep at it. Take it easy. It does pass, honest!

Any of you guys find any hope?

There is always hope. No matter how long you have suffered or how old you are the light at the end of the tunnel is always there.

• Like 2

I wonder why I never posted anything in this thread Kylie... Insomnia and sleep problem have been a great cause of suffering for me. But is the insomnia the cause of anxiety or anxiety a product of the insomnia? If you look at my previous post, a lot of them relate to sleep, dreams, insomnia. I think we, anxious people absolutely want to control everything but sleep doesn't work that way...oh no no. To fall asleep and rest, you have to give up control, you just let it happen. I know it is easier to write but that's it. Prior to having sleep problems, I never even tought of having a fear of insomnia. What help me is to stay active and exercise almost daily. I recently began meditation and it's not easy to calm our mind. I hope your're doing ok.

I know I repeat myself but I apologize for my English, french is my first language.

• Like 1