Sign in to follow this  
Derekkest

What are your coping techniques?

I have had HA for close to 30 years. I am not on medication as I do not like the side effects.

I have good days and bad days. Lately it has been rough and wanted to know how others cope?

I usually look at statistics, specific symptoms, and than rational it out.

Problem with benzodiazepines is that they are very (and I mean very) detrimental for your health, which for us folks is even a more sinister fact than for the non-HA anxious peeps out there. Brain cancers, Alzheimer's, sleep apnea, dementia... All that good stuff is brought to you by these stress reducing, sleep inducing drugs. One has to rely on different venues to cope with stress in the long run. 

I've discussed that topic with my doctor and we came to an alternative plan of action. Benzos would be replaced with antihistamines and very low doses of neuroleptics which help with anxiety, while sleep is taken care of by melatonin and herbal teas. Cannabis was also on the menu and still is as it works wonders for relaxation and sleep. 

The next step was to implement relaxation techniques based on breathing, and meditation via mindfulness courses. 

Third step was increasing the weekly load of sporting activities. I went with body weight workouts and lots of road cycling. As long as you don't skip your workouts, it probably is the golden cure for stress. 

All in all, I'm coping now, without benzos and without antidepressants. A feat I'm kind of prouf of, but that was quite demanding to achieve. But frigging worth it.

As for specific HA strategies regarding symptoms, it now all comes to : never Google, never test, always ignore until it fades away. It usually does. 

• Like 1

I do therapy every two weeks and walk and ride my bike to keep my head clear. I absolutely never, ever google. I try to eat heathy Bec when I eat healthy, I feel healthy 🙂 hugs everyone!! Trying to find what works for you is a huge step in the right direction. 

Hi. Holls. How are you? So there are a few of the old members left. I have been away for some time and it's good to be back. In these times of so much anxiety is it any wonder mental health suffers. I think there will be a big upsurge in mental health problems when this is over. You are so right. Trial and error is always the best. Some do odd things to make themselves better and why not. This is a very personal journey we are all on. There is no magic wand as you know, and that's why it is difficult to generalise. What suits one can be rejected by another. Good to see you again.    Best wishes.    John.