Sign in to follow this  
Elizabeth1976

Proud of myself

Last night,  like I do several times a day ,, I went for a ride with my husband . We don't go very far usually no more than about six blocks . We got pulled over by the police because the light over the license plate in the back is out . He did not have his license or registration with him . Entire thing took about 10 to 15 minutes . I did not panic and I do not have an anxiety attack . Even now I am scared to death of cops . I emailed my therapist immediately when I got home and she said she was proud of me as well . At least it's a good moment I can look back on and feel good about . 

I would really like it if everyone that looks at this and reads this post post something they have done they are proud of . It can be anything . Perhaps you went to the mailbox to get the mail ? Maybe you got through a period of time without an anxiety attack ? Anything . I want to start something positive here where everyone can see they did something positive and can be proud of it . The thought process here is to make everyone feel good about themselves for a few moments . Anxiety robs us so much and makes us feel so bad about ourselves . Perhaps if we fight back with something positive it will help . Even if it just makes the next moment good we deserve that , all of us do.

• Like 3

Hi Elizabeth, nice job holding it together and thanks for sharing.  I have struggled agoraphobia and OCD for over 45 years.  I get better and then fall down, over and over.  When I was young it was very hard but in my late teen, Twenties, Thirties and Forties I did fairly well and drink a lot, Alcohol suppresses my issues.  As I passed 50 and beyond it’s gotten really bad again also I am dealing with depression and poor health as well.  But hope springs eternal as they say.  I think of my anxiety as a demon that follows me everywhere, I just try to stay ahead of it.  I am really blessed to have a strong wife who loves me even though she can’t truly grasp the extent of my issues.  She loves shopping and as you might guess I hate shopping, malls, stores any place I feel trapped.  But yesterday I went clothes shopping for my wife at the mall and I did a bang up job as her shopping assistant, holding her purse and all the clothes she was buying and checking the racks for her size.  We were in the store for over 2 hours; I have tricks to help me hold on like looking at pictures of places that help me feel calm or breathing exercises.  I feel my demons breathe on my neck each and every day but as long as it is on the back on my neck I am winning J  

Rick

• Like 3

Great job!  I hate shopping too.  I am in a down period.  I know it is temporary, but is so hard to deal with.  Every victory is so hard won.  I am glad it is behind you and not consuming you right now.  

Well done both of you!! Its hard for people who dont suffer from anxiety to understand just how much of a victory these small things are. To most people its no big deal, but to us it is a feather in our cap ;) Each time we manage something, its a great confidence boost and reminds us that we have it within us to handle these situations. I am also agoraphobic and GAD, today I went for a 20 min walk. Ive had a particularly bad couple of weeks with my anxiety so going out today, and managing to enjoy it felt wonderful! :) 

• Like 3

Good job everyone !!!!! I think this is a great post . So easy in anxiety to get stuck in the negatives . We need to focus as much as possible on the victories and positives . I've had a bad female cycle after a great non anxiety week . And through it ,because my last bad cycle is when anxiety stuck around , I still got up and went out a few times and didn't let the feels and emotions set me down for a full set back and I'm very proud of that . I've really worked hard to get where I am and I faced a fear of the same feelings when my anxiety first hit snd I didn't let it take me down again .  

We are all gonna get through this in our own time and in our own way . Keep positive and accept these sensations and work through those triggers and causes . Believe you can !  If you asked me how well I could be  and would I get better in October when it hit I would of had a negative attitude . But now after working,searching , facing and accepting I know I am on my way to finding my inner happiness and the kind that isn't based on anyone else but from me for me .

keep up the great work everyone !!!!!!!! 

• Like 3

Great thread Elizabeth. I have pretty much suffered from GAD all my life. I used to fight my anxiety attacks and it made them worse. Through this forum i have learned to float and accept my feelings. 

Today my anxiety was high I felt like I was going to pass out in the store. So many people around me. I hate shopping but I had to go. I just accepted that it was anxiety nothing more. I was not going to pass out or puke. 

One day at a time. I truly believe that there is no cure for anxiety... But if you have the right tools and work on your mindset. Than those stressful situations or whatever life throws at us...after all life is not always going to be perfect ...will be dealt better with. 

We are all a work in progress ;) 

congrats on not having an anxiety attack in front of the cop. I hate cops too unless they are hot too look at...than that's a different story... LOL

take care

Amber

• Like 3

4 hours ago, rainbow said:

Today my anxiety was high I felt like I was going to pass out in the store. So many people around me. I hate shopping but I had to go. I just accepted that it was anxiety nothing more. I was not going to pass out or puke. 

Amber have you read a book called The Dare Response, by Barry McDonagh? Your approach of just accepting the anxiety, and accepting that it would not hurt you, reminded me of his book. Its a really good read for anyone if you havent read it! :) 

What a good idea starting this thread. And well done for not panicking. You have every reason to be proud of yourself, that is a huge triumph for you. The same goes for everyone else too. It may seem like nothing and no big deal to some of these "normal" people but it truly is and we all know that.

I have been suffering from anxiety since I was about 11 years old. I'd always been a very shy and quiet person. Then when I was 18 I got diagnosed with Major Depression, GAD and Social Phobia. I got put on a high dose of Anti-Depressants straight away. I am still on them now BUT not that long ago, I was able to go on a lower dose for the first time since I started on them so I felt and still do feel pleased about that. I never thought that would happen. And you know what did it? This site. Finding this site has helped me SO much. Reading what people have put on here and the advice that's been given and I have been getting the best and most wonderful help. Obviously i'm not cured and I still have a way to go with things yet but there are definite changes in me. Finding this site and getting the help i'm getting has been an absolute godsend, it really has. I just keep thinking all the time thank goodness I found this or otherwise i'd still be in a real mess now.

Thank you for letting me have my say.

• Like 2