Full Member
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Everything posted by cbhaga01

  1. I had two MRI's this past spring. One for my brain and one spinal. Both came back clean. I was surprised by how pleasant the experience was, to be honest. I dozed off during the second one.
  2. Bruh. Your kidneys are fine. There could be a million different reasons for why your BUN levels are slightly off. Reasons so insignificant, they can vary from day to day. Kidney issues aren't subtle. When you have them, you know you have them. There's no second guessing it. And even if they are acting up (which they're not), remember that you have two. You can live with one. And if they're both being assholes, you get a transplant and you're golden. Hell, I'll hook you up with a kidney if you're really desperate. As long as you agree to pay off my student loans 🍻
  3. Hey folks. So, my wife and I are getting ready to sell our home. We've got an inspection lined up for next week. Way back before Christmas, we checked something up in our attic (where we never go) and noticed a large mound of hay way in the back. We knew we had to get that cleaned up, whatever the cause, before next week. Yesterday, I put on an N95 respirator mask, safety goggles, one of those full-body coverall suits with the hood (like you see painters use), two sets of thick gloves, and booties. I was in the attic for roughly 20 minutes. I ended up pulling two of those huge black contractors bags full of hay out of there. At no point did I see any bird droppings, nor signs that the nest was actively being used. But, in the midst of doing that, I had a full-blown panic attack. In the dark, with only my flashlight on to show me all the shit that was flying up off that nest, I had the terrible thought of, "What if I didn't get my mask sealed tightly enough?" Cue freakout. I got out of there and immediately took a super long, hot shower. Today I feel okay. I've got a slight tickle in my throat, but that could very well be allergies. The idea of something like histoplasmosis freaks me out a bit, but Dr. Google says it's usually pretty mild. I'm more concerned with getting some of the more obscure shit, like the stuff that causes brain swelling. If I get brain damage from cleaning out a bird's nest, I am going to be pissed. Do you guys think I have anything to worry about? Do you have experience with stuff like this? TIA!
  4. I'm three weeks out from my second Pfizer shot. So is my wife. Other than feeling like someone had taken a baseball bat to our arms for a day or so, we're absolutely fine.
  5. Final update: Got the results of my brain scan back today. Totally clear. I do not have MS. At this point, all signs indicate a vestibular issue, as I'd previously mentioned. I'm going to get back into my VRT exercises and try to start enjoying life again.
  6. The saga continues: Got a call from the neurologist's office today at work out of nowhere. They said they'd submitted an appeal to my insurance and got the brain scan approved after all. I go in next Tuesday afternoon. To be honest, I'm super anxious, super annoyed (because I feel like this should have happened already), but almost a bit relieved. Getting clear results from the spinal MRI helped calm me down, but I didn't get that definitive answer that I wanted. So, while I'm amped up quite a bit again, I'm not nearly as bad as I was the first time. I'll update this again next week. Fingers crossed, folks.
  7. I got it last Thursday. They hooked me up with the Pfizer shot. It was fine! The shot itself hurt less than a flu vaccine. My arm was pretty sore for a day or two, but again, less than the flu shot. I did feel a bit of fatigue for a few hours. Nothing extreme, however. You're gonna be fine. Get the shot 🍻
  8. UPDATE! Ended up having a spinal MRI and not a brain scan. My insurance denied it on grounds that it wasn't "medically necessary". I took that as a sign. Test results came back completely normal. Neurologist said there was no reason to follow-up. So, while I didn't get an ironclad answer to my worries, I feel much, much better. Also, my wisdom teeth surgery went great! I'm still on soft foods, but I'm 90% better. And I've lost 8 pounds in the past two weeks while still drinking milkshakes most night, so that's pretty awesome.
  9. MS. Multiple times. I'm just now coming down from a recent scare that had me in shambles for three weeks. Ended up getting a spinal MRI which came back completely normal (insurance denied a brain scan, saying it wasn't "medically necessary"; I took that as a sign).
  10. Isn't that the truth? I saw several dermatologists when I was younger who I can honestly say were in the room with me for less than an entire minute. They didn't even give me time to ask them questions.
  11. My top two are perfectly straight. My bottom two are both sideways. Those have potential to be a complete pain in the ass. But I'm loaded up on protein shakes and Superman ice cream, so I'm ready to rock.
  12. Oh, the MRI isn't until the Monday after next. Yesterday was just an initial consult. I'm having to wait on it due to me getting my wisdom teeth out next week 🤮
  13. Hey folks. I went through a big M*/A** scare back in 2013 after I had an inner ear infection (note: I was never really dizzy). I had quite a bit of buzzing, twitching, etc. I never saw anyone about it, and when my anxiety finally subsided, it went away. When I had the inner ear stuff, I experienced roughly 3-4 months of what I would call a "haziness". My brain wasn't foggy, per se; it was more like I hadn't got enough sleep the night before, but all the time. There's just general sense of something being off, but I can function like normal. It finally diminished as well. Since then, I've went through two more bouts of said haze, the current one lasting since around Thanksgiving. I saw my GP, who told me to check with an ENT. He also suggested I see a neuro, just to put my mind at ease. The ENT appointment was awesome; the guy explained that not all vestibular issues are with the ears, and it could be my neck, eyes, etc. He gave me exercises to do and told me to work on them for the next few months. He was confident I'd get back to normal soon enough. That's been a month ago and I'm slightly better, but not all the way. So, yesterday, I saw the neurologist. Let me start off by saying this dude was a trip. He wasn't American, so there was definitely some cultural differences at play, but his mannerisms were just sort of off-putting, to say the least. I described what I was dealing with and he began asking questions. He asked if I'd ever injured my neck. I told him I'd sprained it back in 2009 and had issues with it ever since. He then did reflex tests all over, then mentioned I was hyper reflexive and positive for something called Hoffman's sign, as there was weakness in my ankles. He wants me to do an MRI to check my neck. He also wants to check my brain "just to be safe". When I point blank asked him if he thought I might have the big M, his response was "let's see what the MRI says". Now I'm beyond scared. He mentioned a possible neck compression, which would make sense with the pain I've had for years. But I'm 100% convinced they're going to find something more sinister there and I don't know if I can take it. I keep trying to remind myself that he himself never mentioned anything neurological, so maybe I shouldn't panic. But I can't help it. Anything you guys can relate would be sincerely appreciated.
  14. Hi Bella! Blood work said by thyroid levels were fine, but my vitamin D was deficient. I've been taking supplements for the last five days now and I'm already starting to notice a difference. Well, as much of a difference as I can with my anxiety still through the roof. Hey, maybe you can help me with something in the test, though: my thyroid hormone levels were low? I think? They were 0.559. The normal range is 0.25 to 4.2. But apparently that means mine is working super well? I don't get that.
  15. @Nutmegbella I'm getting my thyroid checked out tomorrow. Vitamin levels too. My wife has hypothyroidism and she deals with issues being cold, especially if she forgets to take her meds for a few days. And I just found out yesterday that my dad, grandma, and two of my aunts all have thyroid issues, leading me to believe I may have just been a ticking timebomb all along. On the plus side, though, I don't have covid!!
  16. Oh, I've dealt with the anxiety itches before. They stuck. Just talking about them made me scratch my scalp! What you're dealing with is an abundance of cortisol wreaking havoc in your CNS. That can cause widespread, indiscriminate itching. Getting your anxiety under control will 100% make it go away. You're gonna be fine 🙂
  17. Hi folks. It's been a while. Ever since Friday night I've been cold. And when I say cold, I mean legs and feet are freezing, chills shooting through me kind of cold. Putting on extra clothing helps marginally. And sometimes the situation just resolves itself magically for a while, then it's back out of nowhere. This is nothing I've ever dealt with. I'm 33 and I've always been crazy warm natured. Now I'm bundling up like the heat is out while my wife walks around in a t-shirt and yoga pants. I did decide to play it safe and go get a coronavirus test. My results won't be back until Tuesday. That being said, I don't have a fever, cough, fatigue, nothing. Just cold. But since the virus tends to affect everyone differently, I figured it wouldn't hurt to rule it out. Obviously, this is made me incredibly anxious. Part of me is afraid it is the coronavirus and it might get worse. Part of me is afraid it is the coronavirus in this is going to be the only symptom, but I'm going to be one of these Long Haul people who is dealing with this for an indeterminate amount of time. And, to really ratchet up my lizard brain, part of me is afraid something has short-circuited in my body and I can't regulate my temperature anymore. Everyone else around me is telling me it's either a small bug or it's just my anxiety playing tricks on me. Any advice from you guys would be sincerely appreciated.
  18. Hey wingnut! I haven't talked to you in a while (nor have I been on the site), but I got to wondering how everyone on here is doing and, lo and behold, yours is the only active COVID post. It's easy to get freaked out by this. It's literally the only thing people are talking about right now. News? Coronavirus. Email? Coronavirus. Social media? Coronavirus. And rightly so, because it is a big deal. But you have to remember: this is a disease, just like any other, and we have to treat it like any other when it comes to our anxiety. Use common sense. Wash your hands, use hand sanitizer, don't do anything stupid. As far as exposure to information, really try to limit yourself. My wife and I have both stopped watching the nightly news and have deactivated our Facebook accounts until this all blows over. Those steps alone have done wonders for our psyche. And, for the love of all that is holy, don't Google this shit. Remember, too, that this panic isn't over you or I (32, M) getting sick. If we catch it, we'll most likely get over it just fine (if anything, it'll be like a really shitty cold). The panic is over us, or anyone, getting it and transmitting it to those more vulnerable to the disease. All these precautions are for everyone's safety, obviously, but it's far more tailored to stopping the spread to those who will be hit hardest. Hang in there, man. We're gonna be just fine.
  19. I have all those same things. Like, to a T. It's 1000% anxiety. When I get nervous or frustrated, it gets significantly worse. And then I become aware of it, which makes it ever worse still, and it's a shitty cycle that doesn't really break until everything else starts to calm down. And I worry about dementia too. I worry that I'm showing the early signs of something sinister. But my wife reassures me that no one else notices that kind of stuff, and EVERYONE has those sorts of issues. We just tend to be hyperaware. Trust me, you're fine.
  20. No clue, honestly. Everything I've read says the scope I had looks for issues with the bladder and urethra, but I can't recall seeing anything regarding the prostate. I'm going to assume they go in through the backdoor for that business 😳
  21. Glad to hear everyone else has had (relatively) pleasant experiences. @Leah1976, did they have a setup where you could see what was going on? My doc just had a scope he himself could see into. I was kinda bummed. I wanted to see my innards.
  22. I was blown away by how quickly it was over. When my doctor said he was pulling out, I asked him if we was sure he was done 🤓
  23. Okay, maybe it isn't that exciting, but at least it sounds fun. Also, warning: if you're squeamish about medical procedures, especially those involving sexual organs, take caution. I'm not looking for advice here. Instead, I'm posting this in hopes that some poor soul who may eventually come here and search for "cystoscopy" might see this and take some comfort in what I'm writing. I try my best not to Google when something doesn't feel right, but I have no qualms looking around on here. So, if you're reading this because you found out you have to get "scoped", let me put your mind at ease: it's not that bad. What is a cystoscopy? Cystoscopy (sis-TOS-kuh-pee) is a procedure that allows your doctor to examine the lining of your bladder and the tube that carries urine out of your body (urethra). A hollow tube (cystoscope) equipped with a lens is inserted into your urethra and slowly advanced into your bladder Why is cystoscopy performed? It is often used to find causes of bleeding or blockage, or any abnormalities of the bladder and its lining. In my case, I developed epididymitis last spring, which resulted in me having to do a few urine tests. All came back totally normal, aside from a tiny amount of blood in my urine (which was only detectable in the test; never visible to the naked eye). Because I'm in my thirties and the results came back positive every time, they urged me to have some testing done in order to rule out anything serious. How is cystoscopy performed? Cystoscopy is most often done as an outpatient procedure. Before the procedure you will empty your bladder. Then you will be placed on an exam table. A liquid or gel local anesthetic may be used on your urethra. The average cystoscopy takes about 5 to 10 minutes. The cystoscope is inserted through the urethra into the bladder. The cystoscope is a thin, lighted tube with lenses. Most often it is bendable, but some models are rigid. Water or saline is infused through the cystoscope into the bladder. As the fluid fills the bladder, the bladder wall is stretched so the urologist can see clearly. So, this is why I'm posting this: the fear of the procedure itself. Going into this, I was terrified. I was ready to go through something akin to medieval torture, despite everything I read online telling me it wasn't really all that bad and similar reassurances by the people at the urology office. Let's call it what it is: they stick a tube down your urethra. That's a one-way street, and the idea of something going in the out door there sounds AWFUL. Why wouldn't it? The prep was easy enough: they made me use the bathroom, then change into a gown (I got to keep my shirt and socks on). They then covered everything down there up, cleaned it, put that weird yellow dye stuff on there, and then numbed me. Numbing consisted of the nurse shooting a syringe of lidocaine down into the urethra. I would almost argue that this was the worst part of the whole thing: I still have full sensation and the lidocaine was cooooooold. But even that wasn't just outright terrible. More like an, "Ouch, that sucks" kinda thing. Then they let the numbing agent do its thing and left me to hang out alone for a few minutes. The urologist then came in and revealed what reminded me WAY too much of the tripods from War of the Worlds. He told me, "This is going to be over way quicker than you realize", and then he started. Going in wasn't all that bad. It wasn't really painful, just uncomfortable, like my body was saying, "Hey, that's not supposed to be in there." When he got to the prostate (which he mentioned beforehand was the worst part), he told me to take a huge breath and let it out; this allowed those muscles to relax so the scope can get into the bladder. There was a slight pinch, but nothing bad whatsoever. And it was in! Now, I will say this: they're not lying when they say you feel like you have to take the worst piss of your life. They're blowing saline solution into your bladder, which causes it to feel like you chugged a two-liter of soda right before walking into a three-hour night class. The nurse said people sometimes require a bedpan once they're finished, because they simply cannot make it to the bathroom. Fortunately, that wasn't the case for me at all. But anyways, the doctor looked around, did his thing, and then pulled it out. I seriously doubt it took more than two minutes. He left, the nurse left, I put my clothes back on, went to the bathroom again, and that was it. No restrictions, no follow-ups, nothing besides popping a single antibiotic (which, if you're worried about those messing with your anxiety, the one they gave me didn't do squat). The "tip" was sore for most of the day (I'm a boy, if you couldn't tell from the moustached avatar), and the first few times I went to the bathroom afterwards stung quite a bit, but by the next morning, I'd forgot anything had even happened. And that's it! If you're reading this and you have a scope coming up, trust me, it ain't that bad. Remember: big breath when they tell you, and try your best to relax. You're going to be fine.
  24. Good! Glad to hear it helps. And yeah, therapy is the best.
  25. It's not MS. The MS scare is a VERY real thing among anxiety sufferers (I had mine back in 2013; I was convinced), as their physical symptoms are incredibly similar. You're gonna be fine, I promise.