Sign in to follow this  
MeiEden

How has insomnia affected your life?

I have had bad insomnia for the past 6 months or so. It was so bad at one point that my husband and I decided together that I should quit my job because I was becoming so stressed out at work from lack of sleep and work pressures that I couldn't function well anymore. My usual general feelings of anxiety were degenerating quickly into depression, and I was constantly having mood swings. My memory and concentration were also suffering.

Since I quit, I have good days and bad days, and I like the idea of working at home with my own hours because it means I can choose when I want to be productive and work extra hours when I'm doing well and maybe fewer hours when I have bad nights. Of course, I am definitely blessed to have a husband who is our main source of income and supports me in this.

Have any of you been affected by insomnia to the point that you had to make changes to your lifestyle?

I have. I have constant issues sleeping. Even after working out and when I am exhausted. If it is a Sunday night and I worked out I have to make sure I take something to sleep of forget it. I also try not to stimulate myself too much those night I cannot sleep in. I am a night person which doesn't help me either. On those days I don't sleep I am usually a lot more anxious during the day the next day. I am prone to racing heart and light headed feelings. I counter this by avoiding even the slightest caffeine unless I have to "perform" at a meeting or something.

Luckily I'm still a university student so if I suffer from insomnia one night I can often change my schedule to accommodate a sleep in or a nap in the afternoon. I'm graduating next year however and am slightly worried about having to get up early for work and having had no sleep.

Does anyone else start counting how much sleep they'll get if they get to sleep at a certain time and then as you fail to sleep keep making new calculations?

I manage alright without sleep I'm just more lethargic than normal. The other strange thing is if I'm excited about something the next day I get insomnia. Whereas if I’m sad I have a great uninterrupted 8-9 hours sleep. :wacko:

I do start worrying about how much sleep I'll get - and then it makes it harder for me to sleep. The racing thoughts are the worst because once they start, it's definitely impossible to get to sleep, even after a long day of exercise (like xavalonxxx). Anyway, if any of you have ideas on how to help the insomnia, it would be much appreciated. Good luck to everyone!

Not being able to sleep is the worst. My sleep schedule is non-existent. I stay up all night and then I finally get sleepy and sleep all the day. I have tried sleep aids and prescriptions and that's only a temporary solution.

I usually don't have a problem with sleeping but recently I have had trouble sleeping, bouts of insomnia. The heat has probably had an influence on it, i struggle to sleep when it is hot. One night I slept for 2 hours, I felt awful the next day, anxious and depressed.

It has affected me a lot. I find that when I am staying up late and not getting enough sleep for work the next day, I become grumpy. I won't socialize with anyone in the morning and in my free time I will be taking short naps just for sleep. The cycle continues everyday especially when I feel like there is something going on in my life that I am extremely worried about.

I got insomnia back in the spring triggered by noisy neighbors. I'm still dealing with it to a certain extent, but St. John's Wort helps me there. Relaxation tapes and deep breathing help as well. The old neighbors moved and the new neighbor is much quieter, so that has helped. But when I was going through the worst of it, I can echo many of the points here. I'm also a night person, but forced by my job to be a day person. That only makes it more of a challenge.