MARC

ER visit

It had been quite some time since I went to the ER. A few weeks ago I came home from Starbucks in the evening around 930pm and began to not feel well. I told my wife and I tried to lie down. Suddenly, I really felt badly and threw up. This happened 3 times and I thought I saw red. I did not panic and tried to lie down again. I had trouble falling asleep and got up again around 3 in the morning and threw up again 2 more times. I felt dehydrated and was really feeling bad. I also had pain which radiated from my stomach to my back and to my side. This made me a little concerned. My wife who does not have any health anxiety thought I should go to the ER too as she thought I may be dehydrated and my pain was still there. (She is a pharmacist). We arrived at the ER around 5am and it was pretty empty. I was signed in and they took me back and took my vitals and asked my symptoms. etc. They then put me in a room and a nurse came in and took my vitals again and again asked my symptoms. They took blood and urine. They hooked me up to an IV as I was dehydrated. Due to the pain. they also ordered a CT scan with contrast of my abdomen and pelvis. Both tests were noted as unremarkable. They also checked my cardiac enzymes which were also negative. The ER physician came in and thought it was a virus and they discharged me at 3pm. I still also had some persistent nausea. I lost around 7 pounds. They told me to follow-up with my physician and he said to be safe, to call my GI physician and schedule an EGD. I called my GI physician on Thursday and they scheduled me for an EGD on July 1st. There is no prep for an EGD and I have had many of them before. I went to an outpatient center and arrived at 945 am and was taken back to the room at 1045am. They hooked me up to a BP and heart monitor and I was taken back for the test. My GI physician said to me have a nice sleep and he was right, I did. I was out like a light and woke up in the recovery room and left the facility at 1130am and was driven home. The EGD results were essentially negative. I asked my GI physician why the nausea and he did not know and said maybe stress. It has been a little over 3 weeks now since the ER visit and I still don't feel 100%, but I think I am getting better and have gained around 3 pounds back. 

• Like 1

I'm so sorry for what you've been through. I'm glad all tests have turned out ok. It could very well be a virus or even perhaps food poisoning? My husband had a bad case of food poisoning once that knocked him down for quite a while. Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

• Like 1

Oh yeah - projectile vomiting like the Exorcist with food poisoning.  Then sudden pain and chills.  It actually lasted several days.  It had to pass through. 

Hopefully the symptoms will subside.

Hey, @MARC! Sorry you had that experience, but thanks for letting us know how you're doing. I hope you feel much better soon, my friend.

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for the well wishes. I am trying to keep the weight I lost off, but it is difficult. 

• Like 1

Thanks. I guess what really scared me was I thought I saw red in my throw-up. 

• Like 1

Given the number of tests you were given I don't see it being anything serious. Sounds like norovirus or food poisoning.