Mel1981

Bowel movement different colors, scared

Recommended Posts

Hey all,

Went to the restroom earlier and my bowel movement seemed to have a reddish hue to it I guess you could say.  There were about 3 pieces and they all had brown and then a different color that almost leaned toward a reddish color.  Now I'm freaked out.  I had been doing better with my anxiety the last few days until this.  I had some fried rice yesterday for lunch with sriracha sauce and then have had quite a bit of chocolate cake the last couple of days.  I had ravioli with a lot of pasta sauce about 3 or so days ago too.  I just don't know what to think.  Does anyone else get this sometimes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi.

Sriracha sauce seems to be a reason. In most cases reddish feces are caused by food.

I had the similar thing after eating beet and was freaked by this at first. Try to avoid red food and check your stool later. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

May you get better man that sounds scary.
Sorry, a little off track question. Does someone have knowledge of Irritable Bowel Syndrome? I have been diagnosed with it for years now. But it has gotten worse lately 😞 
What helps? Am I stuck with this for life?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Acie said:

Hi.

Sriracha sauce seems to be a reason. In most cases reddish feces are caused by food.

I had the similar thing after eating beet and was freaked by this at first. Try to avoid red food and check your stool later. 

I went again this afternoon and it seemed to be more a typical color.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mel1981 said:

I went again this afternoon and it seemed to be more a typical color.  

See, food affects our stool color a lot but we, who have HA, usually think that it is the end. I'm following flush and go philosophy almost for 2 years now 😃 but sometimes I think what if I don't notice some blood in my stool due to this philosophy. This is two-edged sword. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Acie said:

See, food affects our stool color a lot but we, who have HA, usually think that it is the end. I'm following flush and go philosophy almost for 2 years now 😃 but sometimes I think what if I don't notice some blood in my stool due to this philosophy. This is two-edged sword. 

Yeah people tell me to do that a lot too.  My brother and wife just said it a few minutes ago actually, just flush and go.  But they I also start to wonder what if I miss something.  But I guess a lot of times, you're going to have other symptoms as well.  I guess I'll start trying that though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mel1981 said:

Yeah people tell me to do that a lot too.  My brother and wife just said it a few minutes ago actually, just flush and go.  But they I also start to wonder what if I miss something.  But I guess a lot of times, you're going to have other symptoms as well.  I guess I'll start trying that though.

It actually helps. Besides of that we must be more relaxed in general because nervous attitude causes problems with health. Especially cardiovascular and GI system. Sometimes it seems like never-ending circle and then it's better to ask for professional help. We are not the firs ones with HA and we are not the last ones. Actually what else helps me is realizing that there are many people with same problems as me and I'm not alone. I wish I found with forum earlier. 😃 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Acie said:

It actually helps. Besides of that we must be more relaxed in general because nervous attitude causes problems with health. Especially cardiovascular and GI system. Sometimes it seems like never-ending circle and then it's better to ask for professional help. We are not the firs ones with HA and we are not the last ones. Actually what else helps me is realizing that there are many people with same problems as me and I'm not alone. I wish I found with forum earlier. 😃 

Yeah I've been on here for years and love it.  Wonderful people here.  I'll just flush and go next time and not go looking for problems.  I know we will have a little reddishness sometimes due to what we eat and I need to stop obsessing.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand you. Try not to look down, just flush it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Skin of peppers, skin of corn kernels - cause color issues.

I posted on here that eating blue cake frosting turned my poo black.

Grape Kool-Aid turns my poo green.

Poo in natural progression goes from dark green to tan to the brown that we all know and love.  Body chemistry changes it as it digests.

Don't you just love these conversations?! lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ironman said:

Skin of peppers, skin of corn kernels - cause color issues.

I posted on here that eating blue cake frosting turned my poo black.

Grape Kool-Aid turns my poo green.

Poo in natural progression goes from dark green to tan to the brown that we all know and love.  Body chemistry changes it as it digests.

Don't you just love these conversations?! lol.

Yeah this was a reddish hue that was on half of it but the toilet paper just showed brown.  It's been more typical the last few times I've gone.  Trying to put it out of mind.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mel1981 said:

Yeah this was a reddish hue that was on half of it but the toilet paper just showed brown.  It's been more typical the last few times I've gone.  Trying to put it out of mind.

Don't think about it. 

Push the handle

Flush it down

Bye bye poo

I know you're brown.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From someone who is err... unfortunately experienced with this because of some bowel issues.  If it's BRIGHT red - that's usually due to some tearing in your anus.  This usually happens if you're constipated or you have hard stools from not eating enough fiber.  This causes you to strain when you use the restroom and it - er - brushes roughly against your anus/rectum - the slight bright red tints that you see may be microtears from that.

Put it this way, if you see *bright* red spots, that's actually less scary.  It means it's something external and can be easily addressed.  I too freaked out when I had those... moments but it was usually associated with periods where I'd be constipated or have hard stools.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2021 at 2:29 PM, BrightPhoenix said:

From someone who is err... unfortunately experienced with this because of some bowel issues.  If it's BRIGHT red - that's usually due to some tearing in your anus.  This usually happens if you're constipated or you have hard stools from not eating enough fiber.  This causes you to strain when you use the restroom and it - er - brushes roughly against your anus/rectum - the slight bright red tints that you see may be microtears from that.

Put it this way, if you see *bright* red spots, that's actually less scary.  It means it's something external and can be easily addressed.  I too freaked out when I had those... moments but it was usually associated with periods where I'd be constipated or have hard stools.

I have a chronic anal fissure, I THINK caused by over-wiping over the years and I pretty frequently have blood on the TP or on my BM. I also believe after having babies I have a hemorrhoid that acts up here and there. I had that checked out by a doctor and this was her conclusion. The things we talk about when we have HA amirite??

Anyway, I think red pooh would be a food thing unless it is the outside of the pooh and then I think about the above mentioned situations. If you have blood coming from higher up in your digestive tract it tends to be black-ish by the time it exits your body. You could always ask your doctor for a fecal occult test if you're that worried but to me it sounds like food.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.