Sign in to follow this  
AbeLinkedIn

Unintentional Weight Loss?

So this has been kicking around my mind for a while and I wanted to hear you all opine on this matter of import. I don't normally weigh myself often unless I'm at the doctors office or if I'm curious. Last time I was weighted at the doctor I was 257 lbs. I was curious today and I weighed about 252 lbs. I started the year off in the 260s around 265 lbs. Against my own better judgment,  I Googled and as you'd expect, cancer was an answer along with several other little diseases. Naturally I was a little freaked out, but this is where my inquiry comes into play:

I haven't really changed my eating habits much, but I'm going through a lot of stress and anxiety from my folks divorcing and my car dying as well as a build-up of other tiny stresses which snowball, including my HA attacks. I've been walking more since I have to get out more often to go to the store and such so you could say I'm exercising more, but I haven't noticed any changed with my sizes. I used to be a 38x30 in pants but now I'm a 40x30 and I've always been an XL in shirts even back in high school. I haven't changed appearance wise either to my knowledge. I also don't recognize any other symptoms that could be problematic.

I guess my main question is given all of these factors, is my weight loss anything to worry about? Did I lose enough to be concerned?

There are similar threads from the past couple of weeks. Weight loss is usually not concerning unless it's 10lbs or 5% of your starting weight lost "within 6-12mos" according to Google. But that's if it's *unintentional*. You already have the answers though, and it sounds like it's not unintentional (or at least not unexplained): you've been walking more and you've been under a fair amount of stress / anxiety. I know how this goes, I have the same problem.

I was pushing just under 180 around the beginning of 2018. That's the most I've ever weighed, with my average being 160-170 over the past several years or more. I'm now around 162-165. But like yours, it's easily explained - stress, anxiety and being busier than before. My doc has said nothing at all about it. You're fine.

Thank you, I noticed there was another poster who made a similar thread and I skimmed through those first before making this one. I guess I'm trying to find a rationalization and honestly aside from the odd symptom that goes as quick as it came, I'm okay. My doc actually praised me on losing some and didn't see any issue with it and like I said, I don't look much different.

I think the one thing that blows is I have this lingering feeling that I'm not okay or I'm missing something. I weighed again and I'm anywhere between 255 and 250 lbs (It's an old fashioned scale, not a digital) when I used to be 265-260. I think my highest was 268 at one point. I know it's anxiety telling me I'm wasting away but given the other factors like the stress, more activity, and sometimes eating less it would make sense. I want to nip this in the bud and end the cycle before it starts.

You can: stop weighing yourself. It is absolutely anxiety telling you that something is wrong or that you're missing something. That's a classic anxiety thought process. Don't worry about weighing yourself. You're fine, IMO.

That's the cycle I'm wanting to break but it seems as though it's begun. I'm doing my best to fight irrationality with facts but it feels like a losing battle. The one thing putting me slightly at ease is the phrase "96% of the things we worry about never happen" or something to that effect. I recall someone here posting that.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, AbeLinkedIn said:

That's the cycle I'm wanting to break but it seems as though it's begun. I'm doing my best to fight irrationality with facts but it feels like a losing battle. The one thing putting me slightly at ease is the phrase "96% of the things we worry about never happen" or something to that effect. I recall someone here posting that.

I'm not aware of any hard statistics, but I wouldn't be surprised by that number at all. Either way, fight the urge to weigh yourself repeatedly. When it comes to weight, it's best to check at the same time each time, under the same conditions (clothing / no clothing, etc), and so on. But if it's causing anxiety, just don't do it.

That's not weight loss you should be concerned with. If you read the other thread you know my friend that had cancer dropped a lot of weight in a tiny amount of time. Like 20-25 pounds in 2-3 weeks and she was still eating!!! She couldn't fit in her clothes. It was alarming. My weight can change up to five pounds in a day. 

I wouldn't waste another second worrying. Hugs. And yes I believe you are right. 96% of our worry is lies lies lies.  I love that statistic it does help when I can't get out of a worry. 

I had a friend pass from colon cancer. He went from 220 to 140 in a couple months. Cancer weight loss tends to be profound, often measured in the tens of pounds per month.