rugger

NEWBIE...WITH STOMACH ISSUES

I have suffered from health anxiety for about 10 years,on and off.  Well, I'm on in a serious way right now.  Started bowel issues 7 days ago, cramping and diarrhea...out of the blue.  I haven't felt anxious for a while, in fact I've been feeling really good!  I'm a 49 year old male and I'm convinced that I have stomach/colon cancer.  I just can't understand how I can have diarrhea for 7 days straight with cramping most of the day.  I don't have any fever, so how can it just be the flu.  Having a lot of trouble getting it off my mind!  I haven't googled...yet, as I know it will confirm my fears. Not sure what to do!!!  I'm convinced that it can't be anxiety, it doesn't make sense.  Any advice would be appreciated.  I hope this site can help me.

rugger

Hi Rugger,

It's most likely just a bug. Tis the season for that now. Still, since you're 49 it may make sense to have a colonoscopy since the recommendation is to have your first one at age 50. That assumes you haven't already had one before.  As for stomach, from what I understand you'd be far more ill with that, like being unable to keep anything down and bloody stool and/or vomit.

See your GP and see what he thinks is best.

Bob

• Like 1

I had a stomach bug that lasted for 7 days 2 years ago. It was horrible. I went to my gp and he gave me a specimen jar to collect it so we could run tests but it stopped soon after. 

Also, for what it's worth, anxiety can absolutely cause diarrhea, so you could be just extending a stomach bug with the anxiety you feel. I do agree with Bob, going to the GP might be best, not because it is anything cancer related, but because they might be able to give you some relief. 

Yes, anxiety can DEFINITELY cause diarrhea. It gave me really bad diarrhea for four weeks - I even ended up in the ER dehydrated and with very low potassium. Now, I was at a residential treatment facility that doesn't believe you can do the deep therapeutic work if you are on any dose, no matter how small of a benzo, so they weaned me off of a low dose of Xanax in 2.5 weeks (which I have since learned is basically inhumane - it should be done over many, many months). I actually developed colitis from the unrelenting anxiety I was experiencing. I'm doing better now, but I'd still say my GI system is not 100% despite being back on Xanax. So yes, anxiety can cause major GI issues, or visa versa, having major GI issues can cause anxiety. In my case, my GI system was fine until they weaned me from the Xanax. I did eventually have a abdominal CT scan, which showed the colitis, but because I just had a colonoscopy in May, no one is jumping in to recommend another one right now, and again, the GI issues are better than they were a month ago.

Most cases of diarrhea are just annoying disturbances that will clear itself up. If you have no other signs or symptoms, its very likely that it is nothing to worry about. Your doctor will advise what is the best way to approach it! 

Thanks for the support.  Now into day 8.  At this point my only symptoms are cramping and frequent diarrhea...I eat and I have to go not long after.  I know it is 'probably' a bug but I'm still freaking out.  Had a colonoscopy 10 years ago and all was great.  Probably time for another one.  I'm trying to relax...easier said than done.

Thanks again for the support.

Rugger

I get diarrhea when I've got a lot of anxiety.  

My dad had colon cancer, he wasn't able to have a bowel movement at all.  It definitely sounds more like a bug or some anxiety.  Maybe even some IBS, which is super common. 

Wow! I thought I was the only one going through this!! I don’t have diarrhea but every so often I have narrow stool. Of course after googling obsessively I have myself convinced I have colon cancer as well. I have no other symptoms, like you. I keep telling myself it’s anxiety. If I’m busy I feel better but if I think about it enough I think I have little pains. Scary as heck!! I’m sorry you’re going through this. It terrifying!