Mango2016

Finger twitching worried about ALS, MS, PD. Health anxiety???

Hi everyone, I am having a really rough month. Let me start out by saying that I have a really bad health anxiety/OCD condition that I have been on and off dealing with for the last 3 years. I'm currently in veterinary school and my anxiety levels lately have been going through the roof. This last month in particular has been rough as I have not been sleeping well, I have been dealing with my cat that had a horrible illness and had to get multiple procedures, surgeries, biopsies, a feeding tube placed, etc. It was right in the middle of midterms and it was incredibly stressful running around taking him in and out of the hospital. I was incredibly worried for him and freaking out it was rabies. I went to the hospital to get the rabies shots. After a while I was convinced it was ok and I stopped worrying about it. After all the stress of this, I started to develop a finger twitch in my right index finger. it happens all throughout the day both at rest but also when im using my computer or after I perform an action and then rest. It's been causing me a lot of grief over the last week and I saw 2 primary care doctors about it. Both of which refused to refer me to a neurologist and told me it was most likely from stress or anxiety. right and sometimes left arm. IDK if those are just from being more anxious and hyper-vigilant. Other things have started happening like pin and needle feeligs in my left foot and percieved weakness in my I've been worried sick about ALS, PD or MS. 6 months ago I was taking Accutane and around finals time I had parasthesia in my left arm. It freaked me out so I went to the hospital numerous times to get cervical and brain MRIs...they found nothing. I also got tested for Lymes, had general panels done at the hospital and had my thyroid levels checked (all 6 months ago)...nothing wrong. It was dismissed as anxiety or problems from the Accutane, which I discontinued and started feeling better. Im worried the paresthesia in the left arm and the finger twitching in the right index finger are related and indicitave of a neurodegenerative disease. 

I used to be treated for anxiety and I was taking meds. I went cold turkey and stopped taking them out of laziness about a month and a half ago. Dumb, dumb decision I know, but my anxiety has gotten out of control since then. I started seeing a new therapist and I am getting back on my medication for good.

I don't know what to do. Does this sound like a neuro disorder or just anxiety? I know people here arent doctors, but have people experienced this? Just twitching in ONE finger due to anxiety???? I guess there is the pins and needles feeling in my left foot, but I'm just freaking out and I cannot think about anything else. Is it likely to just be anxiety? Should I just trust my primary care doctors and attribute it to stress???

Any comments, advice or help would be much appreciated. Im having a hard time functioning and I'm so close to going to the ER to just ask for more tests. 

Thanks so much all, Sorry for the rant.

4 hours ago, Mango2016 said:

Hi everyone, I am having a really rough month. Let me start out by saying that I have a really bad health anxiety/OCD condition that I have been on and off dealing with for the last 3 years. I'm currently in veterinary school and my anxiety levels lately have been going through the roof. This last month in particular has been rough as I have not been sleeping well, I have been dealing with my cat that had a horrible illness and had to get multiple procedures, surgeries, biopsies, a feeding tube placed, etc. It was right in the middle of midterms and it was incredibly stressful running around taking him in and out of the hospital. I was incredibly worried for him and freaking out it was rabies. I went to the hospital to get the rabies shots. After a while I was convinced it was ok and I stopped worrying about it. After all the stress of this, I started to develop a finger twitch in my right index finger. it happens all throughout the day both at rest but also when im using my computer or after I perform an action and then rest. It's been causing me a lot of grief over the last week and I saw 2 primary care doctors about it. Both of which refused to refer me to a neurologist and told me it was most likely from stress or anxiety. right and sometimes left arm. IDK if those are just from being more anxious and hyper-vigilant. Other things have started happening like pin and needle feeligs in my left foot and percieved weakness in my I've been worried sick about ALS, PD or MS. 6 months ago I was taking Accutane and around finals time I had parasthesia in my left arm. It freaked me out so I went to the hospital numerous times to get cervical and brain MRIs...they found nothing. I also got tested for Lymes, had general panels done at the hospital and had my thyroid levels checked (all 6 months ago)...nothing wrong. It was dismissed as anxiety or problems from the Accutane, which I discontinued and started feeling better. Im worried the paresthesia in the left arm and the finger twitching in the right index finger are related and indicitave of a neurodegenerative disease. 

I used to be treated for anxiety and I was taking meds. I went cold turkey and stopped taking them out of laziness about a month and a half ago. Dumb, dumb decision I know, but my anxiety has gotten out of control since then. I started seeing a new therapist and I am getting back on my medication for good.

I don't know what to do. Does this sound like a neuro disorder or just anxiety? I know people here arent doctors, but have people experienced this? Just twitching in ONE finger due to anxiety???? I guess there is the pins and needles feeling in my left foot, but I'm just freaking out and I cannot think about anything else. Is it likely to just be anxiety? Should I just trust my primary care doctors and attribute it to stress???

Any comments, advice or help would be much appreciated. Im having a hard time functioning and I'm so close to going to the ER to just ask for more tests. 

Fellow als worrier here. Twitching alone means nothing.. I went on the als forum (it's a forum where people with als answer questions. Please don't go there, it only feeds anxiety) asking about my twitch... They get very upset with this question Bec twitching means nothing. People with als twitch after muscle loss, loss you would not have to question. You would be failing at things.. unfortunately when I started twitching in my calves for the first time ever, I googled and als came up.. the als forum said they see so many people come there Bec of their twitching Google searches. Also pins and needle feeling is not an als symptom at all.. feeling weak is not either.. it's being weak.. not being able to do things you did yesterday not having a harder time at it. 

Anxiety can cause muscle tension and that can cause muscle twitching. You already answered a lot of your own question... You are under a lot of pressure with school, you had a tramatic experience with your cat.. I think  sometimes we are too hard on ourselves, we think we should just keep going and going but it's ok to let things get to us, to feel overwhelmed is ok, to not have it together every second of the day is ok. 

You are ok.. no als just anxiety. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mango2016 said:

Hi Mango,

I'm really sorry you are going through such a stressful time.

Please do not Google ALS or visit ALS websites.  It only feeds into your anxiety, and there is a lot of inaccurate information on the Internet.  We have recently had a lot of threads about ALS on this site, with lots of helpful, non-fearful information, so please use the search function and review those instead.

In short, you do not describe the symptoms of ALS.  Pins and needles, aches/pains, buzzing, vibrations, etc. are NOT symptoms of ALS.  ALS is a motor neuron disease and does not cause sensory symptoms.  It is characterized by progressive, non-painful, non-sensory weakness.  And by weakness, I mean clinical weakness, i.e., failure or inability to do something, not mere feelings of weakness.  ALS patients will often notice that they can no longer button their shirt, or pick up an object.  Their finger/hand/arm etc. feels completely normal; it just won't move/work.  By contrast, anxiety sufferers have lots of feelings of weakness and vague sensory symptoms.  Finally, muscle twitching by itself is not diagnostic of anything.  It can be caused by lots of things, including muscle fatigue, dehydration, diet, electrolyte imbalances, medication withdrawal, benign fasciculation syndrome, and ANXIETY.  Simply put, twitching by itself means diddly squat.  If you review the threads on here, you will notice that lots of us have had twitching of all sorts of body parts, but we don't have ALS.  

You don't mention your age, but unless you are an advanced age student in vet school, PD is extremely unlikely.  Your symptoms also don't sound remotely like PD.

MS can sometimes cause sensory symptoms, but if you have had clear brain and cervical MRIs, it is extremely unlikely as well.  The sensory symptoms you describe are also vague and located in diffuse body parts and certainly don't fit characteristic presenting patterns.

You do know that you suffer from anxiety, and acknowledge that you recently quite your meds CT.  Therefore, my money is on anxiety, which can easily cause all of the symptoms you describe.  You have a disease for which you need treatment (medication, therapy, etc.), but not the diseases you fear :) 

Best of luck.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DoxieMoxie said:

Hi Mango,

Please do not Google ALS or visit ALS websites.  It only feeds into your anxiety, and there is a lot of inaccurate information on the Internet.  We have recently had a lot of threads about ALS on this site, with lots of helpful, non-fearful information, so please use the search function and review those instead.

In short, you do not describe the symptoms of ALS.  Pins and needles, aches/pains, buzzing, vibrations, etc. are NOT symptoms of ALS.  ALS is a motor neuron disease and does not cause sensory symptoms.  It is characterized by progressive, non-painful, non-sensory weakness.  And by weakness, I mean clinical weakness, i.e., failure or inability to do something, not mere feelings of weakness.  ALS patients will often notice that they can no longer button their shirt, or pick up an object.  Their finger/hand/arm etc. feels completely normal; it just won't move/work.  By contrast, anxiety sufferers have lots of feelings of weakness and vague sensory symptoms.  Finally, muscle twitching by itself is not diagnostic of anything.  It can be caused by lots of things, including muscle fatigue, dehydration, diet, electrolyte imbalances, medication withdrawal, benign fasciculation syndrome, and ANXIETY.  Simply put, twitching by itself means diddly squat.  If you review the threads on here, you will notice that lots of us have had twitching of all sorts of body parts, but we don't have ALS.  

You don't mention your age, but unless you are an advanced age student in vet school, PD is extremely unlikely.  Your symptoms also don't sound remotely like PD.

MS can sometimes cause sensory symptoms, but if you have had clear brain and cervical MRIs, it is extremely unlikely as well.  The sensory symptoms you describe are also vague and located in diffuse body parts and certainly don't fit characteristic presenting patterns.

You do know that you suffer from anxiety, and acknowledge that you recently quite your meds CT.  Therefore, my money is on anxiety, which can easily cause all of the symptoms you describe.  You have a disease for which you need treatment (medication, therapy, etc.), but not the diseases you fear :) 

Best of luck.  

Love ya Doxie, you put things so beautifully. :) Perfect post!!!

• Like 1

Hello Mango2016,

I came to this forum about a month or so completely consumed by the same fear you have. DoxieMoxie and Holls were absolutely amazing and helped me greatly in getting some needed perspective. In short, like DoxieMoxie said paresthesia (tingling, buzzing, burning sensation etc...) are not indicative of a MND. The twitching is always quite innocuous without any other symptoms such as weakness, the type that causes a loss/deficit...meaning you can't pick up stuff, or do certain things you were able to do before. Essentially, we are talking about a loss of function here. 

You are ok Mango 2016, but health anxiety is a hell of a beast. It takes over your mind and turns your own thoughts against you. I was a complete mess when I first got here, still recovering but slowly. Please find the thread where we went into a lengthy discussion about this, I'm sure you'll find a lot of commonalities between your fears and mine. You'll see that both DoxieMoxie and Holls gave answers that I'm sure will help you too. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jay.E said:

Hello Mango2016,

I came to this forum about a month or so completely consumed by the same fear you have. DoxieMoxie and Holls were absolutely amazing and helped me greatly in getting some needed perspective. In short, like DoxieMoxie said paresthesia (tingling, buzzing, burning sensation etc...) are not indicative of a MND. The twitching is always quite innocuous without any other symptoms such as weakness, the type that causes a loss/deficit...meaning you can't pick up stuff, or do certain things you were able to do before. Essentially, we are talking about a loss of function here. 

You are ok Mango 2016, but health anxiety is a hell of a beast. It takes over your mind and turns your own thoughts against you. I was a complete mess when I first got here, still recovering but slowly. Please find the thread where we went into a lengthy discussion about this, I'm sure you'll find a lot of commonalities between your fears and mine. You'll see that both DoxieMoxie and Holls gave answers that I'm sure will help you too. 

Thank you Jay! You helped me a lot to when I had my set back. You are so great and helpful. Hugs!!!!!

• Like 1

On 12/1/2017 at 5:53 PM, DoxieMoxie said:

Hi Mango,

Best of luck.  

This is great!

These responses have been helpful. So anxiety itself can cause twitches too? I never knew that. Recently (last two weeks) I started having leg pains in my sleep, to where it would wake me up. They are intermittent. I am very active. I play hockey 3-5 times a week and obviously get hit and fall all the time. I have also been noticing twitching in my hands and occasionally feet as well. This is not new. I have had bouts with hypochondria my entire life and got worked up about twitching once in college. I was with family and pretty sedentary for the last week over the holidays and really have gotten myself worked up. I seem to have noticed that I'm very stiff and sore despite not having exercised that much. It's funny when I worry about twitching, I seem to notice it more. When I worry about muscle soreness, I seem to be even more sore. However, when I'm busy with friends or with work stuff, I notice nothing. I also have a very hard time sleeping and when I am away from home it is even worse, so I have gotten about 5 hours of sleep/night this past week which probably doesn't help. I'm sure whatever this is (if it's even anything) is probably something I did playing hockey, but of course whenever you look any of this up, all you see is neurological disorders which has caused me to freak out although from what I'm hearing ITT it is probably highly unlikely that I have any of these if I was able to skate for two hours with no problem just 5 days ago as well as go through other daily activities since then. I just never knew anxiety itself could cause things like twitching. 

Like I said, these responses have been helpful. I'm good for one thorough debilitating health freakout every 3-4 years. Usually around major life events (I am in the middle of a job switch now). I had a bad one right before college. Another when I was about to graduate college. And now this one. Thanks again for the responses ITT. It's nice to know it's not just me. 

8 hours ago, MUCO-13 said:

These responses have been helpful. So anxiety itself can cause twitches too? I never knew that. Recently (last two weeks) I started having leg pains in my sleep, to where it would wake me up. They are intermittent. I am very active. I play hockey 3-5 times a week and obviously get hit and fall all the time. I have also been noticing twitching in my hands and occasionally feet as well. This is not new. I have had bouts with hypochondria my entire life and got worked up about twitching once in college. I was with family and pretty sedentary for the last week over the holidays and really have gotten myself worked up. I seem to have noticed that I'm very stiff and sore despite not having exercised that much. It's funny when I worry about twitching, I seem to notice it more. When I worry about muscle soreness, I seem to be even more sore. However, when I'm busy with friends or with work stuff, I notice nothing. I also have a very hard time sleeping and when I am away from home it is even worse, so I have gotten about 5 hours of sleep/night this past week which probably doesn't help. I'm sure whatever this is (if it's even anything) is probably something I did playing hockey, but of course whenever you look any of this up, all you see is neurological disorders which has caused me to freak out although from what I'm hearing ITT it is probably highly unlikely that I have any of these if I was able to skate for two hours with no problem just 5 days ago as well as go through other daily activities since then. I just never knew anxiety itself could cause things like twitching. 

Like I said, these responses have been helpful. I'm good for one thorough debilitating health freakout every 3-4 years. Usually around major life events (I am in the middle of a job switch now). I had a bad one right before college. Another when I was about to graduate college. And now this one. Thanks again for the responses ITT. It's nice to know it's not just me. 

And that's why I hate google so so much! I trust what my doctor says and she says twitching can be caused by many reasons, neuro being the farthest one. Anxiety, low electrolytes, not getting enough sleep, stress, over exertion. In als twitches come long after muscle loss.. once I rationalized that, the twitches didn't scare me and they subsided. when you get anxious about them it's like fuel to a fire. hugs. they will go away..

I am the poster-child of twitches caused by anxiety (and also too much caffeine). I often get twitches in my eye (Remember the Pink Panther movies - inspector Clouseau?), lips, and thumbs...but I've been known to twitch ALL OVER. A few years ago I went through a period of twitching everywhere and I mean A LOT. Like a lot, a lot, a lot...like tons. I also drink a lot of coffee but had switched brands. I switched back to my "old brand" and voila...overnight...those lots of twitches completely stopped. I think the "new artisan coffee," though delicious, had too much caffeine. And that's saying a lot because I grew up drinking tons of coffee. Like I can drink coffee and a coke and go to sleep 5 minutes later...I kid you not. So think about how much caffeine must have been in that coffee to have that effect on me. Anyhow, for sure...for certain, anxiety can cause (a - at least for me - twitches...just think of me...you can even refer to me as "twitch-girl." 😀

• Like 1

I just posted this in another topic but I had my neurologist tell me today that Dr. google is right 17% of the time. Would you go to Vegas with an 83% chance of losing?

3 hours ago, PennyPanic said:

I am the poster-child of twitches caused by anxiety (and also too much caffeine). I often get twitches in my eye (Remember the Pink Panther movies - inspector Clouseau?), lips, and thumbs...but I've been known to twitch ALL OVER. A few years ago I went through a period of twitching everywhere and I mean A LOT. Like a lot, a lot, a lot...like tons. I also drink a lot of coffee but had switched brands. I switched back to my "old brand" and voila...overnight...those lots of twitches completely stopped. I think the "new artisan coffee," though delicious, had too much caffeine. And that's saying a lot because I grew up drinking tons of coffee. Like I can drink coffee and a coke and go to sleep 5 minutes later...I kid you not. So think about how much caffeine must have been in that coffee to have that effect on me. Anyhow, for sure...for certain, anxiety can cause (a - at least for me - twitches...just think of me...you can even refer to me as "twitch-girl." 😀

Yes lol!! Caffeine!!! My eye twitches when I have too much too. Penny your the best. Hope you had a wonderful holiday..😘😍

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, A11yance said:

I just posted this in another topic but I had my neurologist tell me today that Dr. google is right 17% of the time. Would you go to Vegas with an 83% chance of losing?

You went to a neuro today? So he or she did basic testing and said no als right? 

Well I posted in my topic about my 2nd visit. But he found that I have weak finger extensors in one hand and I told him I have pins and needles in hands/forearms sleeping at night. So he does believe something is going on but doesn’t think it’s  motor neuron disease related. I told him I don’t doubt I have anxiety Ive Just never had it with this many symptoms. I’m assuming he thinks that I do even though he never formally said it because he told me to do cardio for 30 min a day, prescribed klonopin, drink a gallon of water, and gave me some website class with worksheets for anxiety/stress

• Like 1

Just now, A11yance said:

Well I posted in my topic about my 2nd visit. But he found that I have weak finger extensors in one hand and I told him I have pins and needles in hands/forearms sleeping at night. So he does believe something is going on but doesn’t think it’s  motor neuron disease related. I told him I don’t doubt I have anxiety Ive Just never had it with this many symptoms. I’m assuming he thinks that I do even though he never formally said it because he told me to do cardio for 30 min a day, prescribed klonopin, drink a gallon of water, and gave me some website class with worksheets for anxiety/stress

Sorry..I didn't see that post about your appointment. Ok there you go. No need to go any further with the als fear..a neuro is trained to spot this and test for it. He did and now you can move on from this fear. 

I know me and as much as I want to help people.. als anxiety is a rough road . Get out now. Especially since you have been seen and cleared..that's it...there should be no more als thoughts in your mind. Just like with any anxiety the more you talk about it, the more you think about it and the more you think about it the more you start looking for stuff.. that's why I'm so careful these days how much I talk about als. It's been a nice 4 months having zero also worries. Mine have been coming and going for almost 2 years. Don't be like me. Get out now.

Hugs. 

5 minutes ago, Holls said:

Sorry..I didn't see that post about your appointment. Ok there you go. No need to go any further with the als fear..a neuro is trained to spot this and test for it. He did and now you can move on from this fear. 

Thanks for the replies. I’m just anxious now though because I don’t know why my finger extensors are weak, why I have hyper reflexes, and why my left thumb twitches and appears to be atrophied in the thenar region of the muscle? It also worries me that he thinks something is going on but doesnt know what. 

He said that it’s not neuromuscular. He wants you to take a benzo. Benzos are for panic and anxiety. Listen to the doctor. I understand your attitude towards taking meds, but sometimes it’s necessary.