Sign in to follow this  
GMan

Mental symptoms

I'm wondering if anyone else experiences the mental attacks. I know that's where the attacks usually start, from different thoughts, but my panic usually begins with obsessing over a physical symptom. Now, terror goes through my mind without physical symptoms. It's like panic is tied to my every thought, good or bad. A thought of joy or excitement is immediately met my panic. It's as if a dark cloud traps every one of my thoughts. If I think about doing anything, this dark cloud of panic immediately grabs my thought. Every thought leads to panic, fear, or terror. It feels like every time I reach my hand out of this dark cloud, I'm immediately pulled back in. So even when I'm not feeling physical symptoms, I'm still trapped. This is very discouraging and debilitating.

It's almost like your brain has programmed itself to expect the worst.  I see it's been 2 months since you've posted this and I hope you're doing better. 

Please, please, please don't be offended.  I am a Christian. When I start to feel those panic attacks of doom and gloom, I talk out loud and tell the devil to SHUT UP.  I then imagine myself putting on a helmet to block the sounds/ voice of doom and I pray and ask God to only let me hear HIS voice and the brush of angel wings protecting me from bad thoughts.  

You could try something like that even if you're not a Christian.  Just adjust it to something like earphones with your favorite music playing and refusing to listen to the part of your brain trying to ruin your day. 

Let us know how you're doing.  I can't imagine feeling like that all the time and hope by now it's gotten much better or is gone!

Diane

Hi. GMan.

Yeah I know!!! It's habit! Now that sounds too easy, but that's what it is. When you have been anxious for some time your mind gets tired and thoughts stick. Trying not to think them is useless so let them come. Yes, that's what I said. You are fighting the thoughts. Go through them with as much acceptance as you can manage. Don't struggle with them. Thoughts are thoughts whatever they are and whatever form they take, and therefore harmless, unless WE make something of them. 

Diane's advice is good. "Get thee behind me Satan". This was what Christ said when tempted by the devil. YOU are being tempted to believe something that is not true and never will be, that you have a mental problem. Anxiety is not a mental problem in the generally accepted sense of the word. It's a problem of the way you think. Real mental illness is not. So you are NOT going mental. OK??? Neither are you trapped.

Physical symptoms in anxiety can feel so real, but you are being bluffed. If you have been checked out then believe the medics. Believe that everything passes and so will this, but quicker if you stop giving the thoughts so much importance. They are not worth it.

Not offended at all Diane. I too am a Christian... And after going through this disorder for the last 2yrs without any professional help or meds, God is the only reason I haven't given up. I understand the deception, but unfortunately, my body and mind don't always walk in agreement. There was a time, late last summer, where I had gotten to a point where I thought I could enjoy life again. Now, I find myself dealing with some of the worst aspects of this disorder. It's been up and down lately, with a lot of down. Before, I was able to break those cycles, and continue moving toward recovery. Now, it sees like there's no break in the cycle. Just daily fear and panic.. a lot of times starting a few minutes after I wake up, until I fall asleep.. and sometimes throughout my sleep. It's been a big struggle lately.