PennyPanic

Breast Bruise or Infection After Mammo

So on April 20th I had a routine mammogram...all clear. All bloodwork is excellent. All good right? Not quite. 

The mammography tech was very very very rough. I was in pain for 3 days after and had a bit of torn skin (she was Godzilla!)...but it all went away and I thought nothing of it until I noticed a big old red bruise on the underside of my breast.

Called my gyno who got me in and told me it was a bruise and it would go away in a week. It's red...doesn't look like a bruise...but okay.

It didn't go away in a week...gyno said she was surprised (not good) and to go see a derm.

Derm said it was a bacterial skin infection and gave me antibiotics. Said it should get better quickly but to take the full 10 days worth of meds.

It's not getting better.

It's not getting worse...but it's still red.

It's only been 3 1/2 days of antibiotics so perhaps it needs more time.

I'm beside myself.

My mind is racing with the following:
If it is a bruise (honestly, it sorta looks like one) how long should it take to go away and do bruises blanch? This thing blanches.
If it's not a bruise and it's some sort of infection...how long until the redness goes away?
What else could it be?

Of course I googled...big mistake.

ACK!!!!

No change.

Called my gyno...she said it's not IBC. I asked if I could get an ultrasound.
She said it's not IBC because it doesn't look like it.
She said an ultrasound doesn't diagnose it anyway as it can only be diagnosed by a biopsy.
She was very firm in telling me it's a skin issue on skin that just happens to be over the breast.
She suggested I go back to derm.
Derm on vacation for the long weekend.

I don't trust her because she thought it was a bruise. Truthfully, perhaps it is, but I would have expected a bruise to at least change colors by now.

I'm trying to work and not freak out.

Honestly, this has been a terror...weeks of terror.

I am not handling this well at all.

That’s really good that the gyn doesn’t think it is that. She would be the expert in this case.  I know you said you don’t trust her, but how long have you been seeing her for? If she had been your dr for years, you can measure your trust based on your past experiences, not just this. You could also get a second opinion if you feel you simply can’t trust her. 

Has anything improved? Also could it just possibly be the regular coloring of your skin by chance? I really hope this clears up for you soon. 

1 hour ago, BeautifulDisaster said:

That’s really good that the gyn doesn’t think it is that. She would be the expert in this case.  I know you said you don’t trust her, but how long have you been seeing her for? If she had been your dr for years, you can measure your trust based on your past experiences, not just this. You could also get a second opinion if you feel you simply can’t trust her. 

Has anything improved? Also could it just possibly be the regular coloring of your skin by chance? I really hope this clears up for you soon. 

Thank you for asking. No improvement. No worse. No better. No change. The color is definitely, dramatically different from the rest of my skin. "Something" is going on there...what it is, I don't know. It itches a wee bit so I'm wondering if it's eczema...I've had that before. I didn't look like this...but who's to say. It's been about 30 years since my last bout with Eczema. I understand that bruises can itch as they heal. It looks very much like a fresh bruise...but that's just it, it hasn't changed color like a bruise would. It also does not hurt at all.

Your point on how long she's been my doctor is well taken and a very good point. She's been my doctor for 8 years now. So...yes, I've trusted her before. I just guess I'm not understanding how one doc says it's a bruise and another says it's an infection....and yet apparently they are either both wrong (or both right) because it hasn't budged.

Sigh...

Anyhow, thank you for answering...it helps me to not feel so alone...and that helps very much!

No worse is a good sign. What you are worried about moves very quickly. You said the color is dramatically different- did the dr feel that way about it? (Either dr?). Are you married or have a partner? If so, what are their thoughts? I ask because I have had fears over this too due to skin color. And the skin color I would question always looked “dark” to me or “red” but I was always told “nope - that’s not “red””. I  am definitely not saying there is nothing there to see, but I am wondering if it looks worse to you than it is because you are so worried which is understandable. The fact that it isn’t getting worse is great news. Hopefully the derm can help. I am assuming you will contact them again this coming week?  You believe this was caused by the mammo right? What did the gyn and derm say about that?

• Like 1

First, thank you for replying BeautifulDisaster. Your willingness to listen and help me to figure this out means everything. Truly you have no idea how comforting it is to "talk" with someone who gets it and is patient with me and also challenges my thinking etc...

Both doctors were surprised it wasn't painful. It's not. It is, however, that red...but it doesn't hurt. My husband thinks it's less red than it was before and his belief is that it's a bruise and that bruises can take a while to go away! I pray he is correct.

You are correct in that "not getting worse" is definitely good when most times "what I'm worried about" does move quickly. Of course there are those horror stories online where "what I'm worried about" isn't diagnosed for months. Anyhow, there is also good news that there is no pain, skin texture changes, no swelling etc...There's also a very teeny tiny little "bruise like thing" on my other breast (teeny tiny) in approximately the same spot. That would point to bruising from the evil mammo-tech because the likelihood of "what I'm worried about" being in both breasts infinitesimal - probably unheard of. 

The gyno thought it was a bruise from the mammogram based on what I told them about how painful it was. The derm didn't really mention that at all and just said it was a bacterial skin infection and was surprised I wasn't in pain. I actually contacted a teledoc (derm) who said it didn't look like an infection but looked like a bruise to him. He was surprised it hadn't gone away though and suggested I take the antibiotics any way because they can't hurt me over the short term. Of course, I took them. He also confirmed that working through pictures is very difficult and being seen in person would be better...so go with whatever the derm who saw me in person said. He was nice, encouraging, but ultimately not helpful.

If it is a bruise, my theory is that the bruising happened deep inside the breast and fell via gravity to the bottom underside of my breast which is why it doesn't hurt but looks so discolored there. The teledoc said my theory was sound ...but again...he was nice and agreeable to everything with no real thoughts of his own...so....you know.

Next week (tomorrow) my derm is out of town for the week (sigh) so I have to decide if I should wait for him or see if someone else can squeeze me in. I'll be calling his office to see if someone is on call for him, I guess and then go from there.

Was the bruise caused by the mammogram itself?  That's really bad!

2 minutes ago, Ironman said:

Was the bruise caused by the mammogram itself?  That's really bad!

I think so...if it's a bruise. I had the mammogram...it was awful. I mean really awful. I was in bed the following day in pain. The tech even tore some skin. 3 days later, all was well skin wise as far as I could tell. Fast forward a week(ish) or so...and I felt a bit of discomfort. I thought it was from my sports bra when I got home from the gym I noticed a big big big red area on my breast. My husband he had seen it thought it was a bruise from the mammo. I hadn't seen it. That's when this all started. The gynecologist said it's not unusual to bruise or have torn skin after a mammogram. If this is actually a bruise from that...let me just say...there has to be a better way. I pray that's what it is. Derm didn't think it was a bruise, he thought it was an infection. What it is is anybody's guess at this point. The only good news is that the mammo was clear and that whatever it is, it doesn't hurt or itch or anything. So who knows....

You are welcome. I know this is really scary and sometimes a new perspective can help. 

So your husband thinks it is going away? That would be a great sign. It probably won’t look that way to you because of the anxiety but if he sees it that way, that’s great. 

I would expect it to be difficult for a tele doctor to help with a skin spot like that because it would be really hard to see it and to feel it if it is warm or what not because that also helps them make a decision about what it could be. 

I have also heard of bruises being really deep and then having to come to the skin’s surface. 

Did you call the office today? Did they give you another dr in the practice?

How does skin tear with a mammogram? That sounds really terrible!  If it is a bruise from the mammo - that is insane and I would definitely find another place to go to next time. It’s also frustrating that the tech showed no compassion to you about how the mammo was done. And that’s really disappointing.  Please keep us updated.

Beautiful Disaster...big hugs. Truly...for helping me through this.

My doctor is out of the country, but I have an appointment with another dermatologist tomorrow. Perhaps a fresh perspective is warranted any way. This new derm has a stellar reputation and even teaches at a major university. His credentials are impressive. So hopefully, he'll know and it won't be scary. I got in to see him so quickly because (1) his nurse took pity on me and (2) he doesn't take any insurance, so I have to pay out of pocket entirely. I can't afford it, but I don't have much of a choice because all other area derms are booked out for months.

I'll never go back to that mammo place ever again...never ever. Basically my skin was torn I think from her long fingernails. I'm sorry...that should not be allowed for mammo techs that are "man-handling" the patients' boobs.

Not gonna lie...I'm really scared. I don't understand why this hasn't faded by now. Again, my husband thinks its much less red. We are absolute opposites...he's very happy, calm and positive. Me, well...I'm here so you know... Somewhere in between his assessment and mine lies the truth.

Again...BeautifulDisaster...how can I thank you enough for standing by me through this...you have no idea how much you've comforted me.

So glad you find this helpful. It does help having someone to talk to sometimes.

Sounds like a good plan that you see a different derm tomorrow. This will hopefully solidify things between what the gyno said and the other derm. Hopefully he can give you some insight right away. Please let me know what happens. Hoping for the best for you.

Wow. That’s disturbing that a tech can have long fingernails like that and not take any care or have any compassion. That experience would have definitely freaked me out too. 

That’s really great that your husband thinks it is “much less red”. He would actually know. I am guessing that you are looking at it quite a bit which means you can’t really tell. On top of the fact that you are so anxious, rightfully so, I am taking a good guess that you aren’t “seeing”’ what it really looks like. It probably looks way worse to you than it really is. I would go with your husband’s opinion. And then you should get some answers tomorrow. 

I am really glad it has brought you a little comfort to talk. I am glad to be here. I really hope all goes well for you tomorrow! Let me know!

Went to the derm who was virtually useless. He gave me 3 possibilities...one of which is dire. I can't even mention it here. This feels like a horrible nightmare. I freaked out. He refused to do a biopsy saying it wouldn't be conclusive any way...WTH?
Walked myself into another derm's office who took me in. I've been to him before. He's a bit of a jerk...but he knows his stuff.

He said "Let's not mess around. Let's take a biopsy."

He took 2 biopsies in fact.

I'll need to wait at least a week for the results.

The horror continues...

The first derm - he wouldn’t biopsy it? So then, what did he tell you to do?

I can’t believe you were able to see another derm today just like that - that quick of an appt I mean - ok - he just said let’s not mess around. That’s a typical dr. Of course he will take a biopsy because… why not. He is just making sure . A clear biopsy would say - well we ruled everything out. Don’t know what it is. It sounds to me like he was doing his job especially if you came to him very frantic, which it sounds like you did, understandably.  Did he give you any thoughts or insights to what it is?

Oh a whole week! That really sucks. I am so sorry. Neither one of the drs is with the first derm you saw correct?

Neither of the docs is my first derm. My first derm is out of the country for a few weeks.

The second derm wouldn't biopsy it because he said "I biopsy on the breast is no picnic" and "biopsies for these sort of things usually come up as inconclusive" His course of action was to put steroid cream on it and if it went away and stayed away then it was "probably" okay.

The third derm (second one I saw today) I literally drove there from my first appt of this morning. I've seen him before. I don't like him - he's a bit of a jerk, very arrogant. But arrogance be damned if he can figure out what this is. I explained the situation to the nurse up front and I guess she felt sorry for me. They got me right in. Honestly, he was very caring and very nice.

I'm not handling this too well...as one of the possiblities is really really really bad...the big "C" bad. ...really really really bad. I'm not finished here yet. I want to be with my husband. I don't want to die....not yet....not yet....

Hm I thought biopsy was how they diagnosed it?  Did he give you a steroid cream? You may not be able to use that now with a biopsy.

That’s Amazing that the second one was able to see you today that quickly. What was his opinion of it? I am very certain he was biopsy-ing it “just because “ - you were there and he could do it and that’s what they do. And he is probably thinking he is helping you by doing this. 

I know this won’t mean much right now but no one is saying anything about dying! The gyn said it wasn’t that. The first derm said it wasn’t that. The second derm kind of brushed you off and the third derm - you didn’t state his opinion yet - just said well we can biopsy it.  Also - if it is a skin infection or a fungal infection or anything like that, the biopsy will identify that too. I know the first derm thought infection. You said the antibiotics didn’t work. Your husband says it looked a bit better. It may be a wrong antibiotic. You can look at it in that way too.

What does your husband think of all of this? The anxiety makes things very uncertain and unclear. It is hard to see beyond the catastrophic thinking. How does he see this??

Hang in there - it’s going to be ok!

The third derm (second one today) didn't want to give a diagnosis. He was honest and said he didn't know. I gave him the full story and he said, "let's not mess around, let's just biopsy it." I am thankful for that. Under the circumstances and varying opinions, that is the right thing to do, I believe.

My husband is still convinced there is some correlation with the mammogram. I hope and pray he's right.

At this point, I've exhausted myself. Of course, I googled and have determined that what I have looks exactly like the worst case scenario. (big surprise there, right?)

Definitely can't use the steroid cream now and it was good that I didn't use it or the biopsy might have been compromised/inaccurate.

Honestly, I'm just praying for God to be merciful. I'm really very simple. I really am. All I want is to just be at home with my husband. I'm very low maintenance. I'm easily contented with just being a wife. I feel like I have it all if I can just be at home with my husband. I try not to hurt people. I try to be good. Sorry... I'm just in a mental spiral and feeling like I can't stand the thought of not being with my husband.

I called my childhood BFF...she was amazed as well that I just walked into another derm's office and asked to be seen - and that they saw me. At that point, I figured I had nothing to lose. Perhaps it was Divine Intervention. I don't know. I just needed help and I guess they felt sorry for me. I just had this strong feeling to go there and try and so I did. I guess that in itself is a miracle I suppose. I thanked them profusely.

Again, BeautifulDisaster...thank you. You have no clue how much you've helped me. I appreciate you caring.

Well - he said he didn’t know which does NOT mean it’s bad. It might really be nothing to worry about. So he was being smart about it and thankfully he didn’t make you make another appointment for this biopsy.  Did he seem worried?

Your husband thinks it is less red right?  

definitely don’t google!!! It won’t help!!!  You cannot diagnose yourself.  The good news is you have seen 4 different people who don’t know what it is but aren’t convinced it’s terribly bad! It’s not getting worse, right? And everything else is ok but the color right? Those are all good signs. Will you see the first derm next week when they come back from vacation?

I definitely understand why you are in a mental spiral. It’s ok. Anyone would be in this case. But you have seen all the doctors and you even had the biopsy. 

what does your husband think of the spot now? And what the drs were saying? I ask because he is not in a state of anxiety and can think more rationally. I know you are spiraling but you don’t have to yet. Things aren’t getting worse. And sometimes things happen and we don’t know why. 

It was pretty miraculous this last dr got you in and was able to biopsy it for you.  Be thankful for that. Because now all of the tests are done. It’s the waiting that sucks. But all of the tests are done now. It will all be ok.

Third derm said things like "we're not messing around with this." and that he'd have the samples sent by courier to the best dermopathology place across the state. He also said he'd call me personally with the results. So he was...not "worried" per se but taking it seriously.

My husband does think it looks less red.

I'm not going to make an appt with the first derm until I get the biopsy report...I'm thinking there's no reason to. I think I might stick with the third derm anyway because he was the one that took this seriously enough.

My husband likes the third derm, he's been to him personally. I think my husband is now a bit concerned because of what the second derm said but he's not letting on...he tries to be strong for me. He just keeps saying that it's a big pinch, a big bruise and that I'm fine and he won't let anything happen to me. Which breaks my heart because I love him so much and I don't want to be taken from him yet. I'm not that old. I'm only 56...so I'm no spring chicken, I get that...but I'm not done here yet.

Yes, it is pretty miraculous that I got in yesterday to the third derm and so quickly. Honestly, my BFF said so...she was shocked and you were shocked. I didn't realize it was such a thing until later...I guess I was on autopilot or something.

BeautifulDisaster, thank you for keeping me calm. You truly have no idea what you have meant to me through this...you really don't. You're a miracle for me as well. Thank you.

Well that is good that the third derm wasn’t worried per se. It sounds like he was doing his job. And taking things seriously, which is what you want. That should bring you a little piece of mind.

Yay that your husband thinks it looks less red! That’s a great sign! It probably won’t look any different to you because of all of the anxiety around it and I am guessing you are looking at it a lot.

that does sound like a good plan with the derms.  Stick with this one that did the biopsy. 

Nothing is being said about leaving your husband! It’s not getting any worse, which is great. The second derm sounds insensitive to me. He wasn’t sure what it was at all. No reason to scare you with all the possibilities. A dr can do that with anything. Even a simple sore throat. He could run through all of the possibilities and some of them would be scary freaky too- but at the end of the day, it’s not that. Yet a dr won’t do that to you. Unless that derm truly thought it was that and wanted to look for that specifically, then there is no reason for scaring you like that. I just think he had no compassion for you.

I am glad to help Penny. I am really hoping you get answers quickly. This is the worst part. Just keep to the facts in mind about it not getting worse, even getting lighter, the fact that 4 people have seen it, etc. 

Did those other 2 derms say it could have something to do with the mammo?

The first 2 derms did not think it was a bruise.
I don't  think I asked the third derm...but to be honest I'm not even sure any longer. It was a bit of blur and I was freaked out.

To put this into perspective...the second derm basically told me it could be lymphoma in the skin and then that, of course from there, it could spread and kill me - and yet he didn't want to do a biopsy...I don't get that at all.

I've been through some "stuff" in my life - who hasn't? But, not gonna lie, I am freaked out...

Thank you for "listening". Virtual hug from one stranger on the internet to another who is very thankful that you've stood by me...it helps so much.

Yikes never heard of lymphoma of the skin- that was not what I was thinking of. That is why he said a biopsy wouldn’t work? But then it would show up in bloodwork I would assume right? I wonder why he didn’t send you for bloodwork then?  I can’t believe he actually said it could spread and kill you 😩. That just seems wrong and insensitive. It does not seem like he was in any rush to determine this for you. So I am betting this really wasn’t at the top of his list of possibilities. I would have expected him to investigate that or refer you to some type of oncology specialist but he hasn't! That sucks that he put those thoughts into your head. 

Of course you are freaked out- anyone would be in this case! And of course your head is spinning - again, anyone’s would be! Do you know when to expect the biopsy results? Blood work is usually pretty quick- would that help? Getting bloodwork and seeing that it is clear?

Hugs back at you. I am glad this helps even a little. A cannot imagine the stress you are under. I am just trying to “see” this from a non- anxious perspective. Because it is hard to see it that way when you are in the mud of it. I really hope the answers come soon so you can put it to rest. I still believe everything will be ok 🤗

I had never heard of it either...I just can't even...

Apparently, bloodwork does not show anything if it is confined to the skin. I had recent bloodwork all perfect...but apparently that means nothing.

Also second derm said the biopsies could be inconclusive...and usually would be inconclusive...so I could still have it and not know and so why bother. I still can't wrap my head around that based on his information that he gave me.

I asked the third derm that and he confirmed that sometimes it takes a while for biopsies to be determinative of the cause of something ....but, obviously, he took the biopsies any way.

This is a horror. It truly truly truly is.

Thank you for being the clear headed for me.

So then if bloodwork doesn’t show it and a biopsy doesn’t show it, how on earth do they rule out that it is or isn’t that??  That doesn’t make a lot of sense! And you would expect it would be getting worse and spreading?  How terrible to get you thinking like this when they really have “no way to tell” right now - at least - that is what I am hearing!

and the second derms advice was to use steroid cream and see what happens? That’s all he had after scaring you half to death?  

At least you got the biopsy done quickly- as I said - amazing he saw you and just did it right there.  I know it is a nightmare but I am still going with it will be ok.

Right? If nothing shows it and there's no way to prove anything then what? Then anybody could have it, right? Anybody??? The second derm makes no sense... "let's just wait around and see" Oh AND...the steroid cream could take it away and it could still be lymphoma in the skin (or not) because that is apparently one of the treatments, he said. Maybe he was just trying to "cover his backside"...I don't know. I hope to never ever ever see him again ever. I literally could not make sense of anything. Once he said lymphoma, I went on total overwhelm.

I have literally given myself a headache from the crying and stress and the total unknowns.

The right thing to do is to try to figure out something concrete like the third derm. 

But I'll take all of this worry happily if God can just be merciful and let me live without some dreaded disease.

Sigh...

Again...thank you BeautifulDisaster...thank you. I feel heard and understood and that means everything.

20 minutes ago, PennyPanic said:

Right? If nothing shows it and there's no way to prove anything then what? Then anybody could have it, right? Anybody??? The second derm makes no sense... "let's just wait around and see" Oh AND...the steroid cream could take it away and it could still be lymphoma in the skin (or not) because that is apparently one of the treatments, he said. Maybe he was just trying to "cover his backside"...I don't know. I hope to never ever ever see him again ever. I literally could not make sense of anything. Once he said lymphoma, I went on total overwhelm.

I have literally given myself a headache from the crying and stress and the total unknowns.

The right thing to do is to try to figure out something concrete like the third derm. 

But I'll take all of this worry happily if God can just be merciful and let me live without some dreaded disease.

Sigh...

Again...thank you BeautifulDisaster...thank you. I feel heard and understood and that means everything.

Lymphoma of the skin can look like other skin issues.  Skin lymphoma is something that grows and spreads, but is rare.  If the mammogram pinched, it could cause a mark that looks like it, too.  

It's apparently early enough that they are just trying to figure out what it is.  Treatment goes like that.  

The thing to do is avoid doing something my father always told me I did......he would always say "you are putting two two and two together....and getting EIGHT!"