Ellebel

How normal is rectal bleeding actually?

Just curious, since colon cancer fears resurface for me every once in a while due to rectal bleeding (minor). How normal/common is rectal bleeding?

I had a clear colonoscopy 6 years ago when bleeding started. Last year i have had an abdominal ultrasound and a Contrast CT, both clear. 

Rectal bleeding started 6 years ago. once every couple of months it can be very noticeable, like a smudge on tp, but about a year ago i discovered that upon closer inspection i can almost ALWAYS find a tiny speck (1 mm on tp) after wiping. Its not food-discolouring, but surely is blood. Every single bowel movement. I dont know if this is new or has always been there because.. you know.. who inspects their tp up that close lol. Well, i do now😏. So time for more tests? Or could this be super super super common but most people would never see/find out because these specks its so tiny and hardly noticeable?

Any experiences you can way in?  When can i let this go OR should i need a new colonoscopy?

I will tell you what happened to me. I had a clear colonoscopy in January 2017. In July 2019, I had some pain and rectal bleeding. It persisted off and on for a while. The pain got pretty intense at times and it was painful when I wiped. I called my concierge internal medicine physician and he said to use wipes and to eat more fiber and drink plenty of water. In November 2019, it still persisted so I called him back and he said to call my GI physician, who is friends with my internal medicine physician and who I have been seeing for quite some time. I called his secretary on a Thursday and on the following Monday I had a scope which went as far as you can go straight up and not a full colonoscopy as it had not been 5 years since I last went. I was clear except for Hemorrhoids. I tried A&D ointment from Walgreens and that has really helped me. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you MARC for the reply! Since you are the only reply.. i can answer my own question i suppose... Not very common ..  So guess i am going private for a new colonoscopy.

Even though odds are it is nothing, I think it would be prudent to discuss your concerns and symptoms with your physician as speculation can bring on more stress. 

I will tell you one more story which happened to me when I was 25. I went to the bathroom and when I wiped the tissue was drenched in red blood and the toilet bowl water was all blood red. I had an immediate melt down and had myself dead and buried. It turned out to be a large hemorrhoid. 

I believe this might be a hemorrhoid or anal fissure. Try eating a little more fiber. Your stools might be hard or you're straining causing the rectal bleeding. I don't feel it is anything life threatening. 

@MARC i have spoken to my doc many times about this but she feels it cant be something since it hasnt really gotten worse in 6 years and my colonoscopy was clear back then. I dont really trust her judgement because i feel it has ‘returned’ since my pregnancy (more often) and something new could have happened since (or missed with) the previous colonoscopy. Thats why i am considering private even though its cost is a months salary... 

On 5/21/2021 at 4:05 PM, Mike L said:

I believe this might be a hemorrhoid or anal fissure. Try eating a little more fiber. Your stools might be hard or you're straining causing the rectal bleeding. I don't feel it is anything life threatening. 

Thank u, but could one of those linger for 6 years? And play up every other week or so?

My GI physician told me that when you have persistent rectal bleeding,  that insurance will pay as long as you have not had a scope recently. 

3 hours ago, MARC said:

My GI physician told me that when you have persistent rectal bleeding,  that insurance will pay as long as you have not had a scope recently. 

Unfortunately it wont here because i am to young for screening (32) and besides screening insurance only pays after GP refers 🥺

Are you in the USA? 

On 5/24/2021 at 6:10 PM, MARC said:

Are you in the USA? 

Nope, the Netherlands. My only option is going private in germany.

That explains your predicament. Thanks. 

Have you had constipation? If that's not too delicate to ask. 

Hello @davide.h

no i have not. But as said this has been going on on and off for 4-6 years at least. Would be one hell of a constipation lol