Jinx

Left quadrant pain

I hate that I am back here. I have been doing an amazing job with having my health anxiety under control. Almost exactly a year ago I posted about having pain go down my left side. This time it is back with a vengeance and I am waiting for my GI appt which unfortunately is a month out.

For the last few weeks I have been having some pain on and off going down my left side. I upped my miralax, thanks to my IBS, and have not noticed a difference. I have sharp pains that come and go and take my breath away in my upper left quadrant below the breast area. It also feels like something is there all the time along with some tenderness. I can feel it go down my left side and bothers me when I try to sleep. I finally did a saline laxative thinking maybe it was constipation and again no changes. Basically this runs from under my left breast down to my lower left quadrant. I am trying to contain myself but starting to feel that panic creep in. If you are still reading to this point I thank you. I need opinions and honesty. Sad part is that I am a nurse and I should have this under control. Maybe I’m thinking to much on it. Maybe it’s something that should not be there. Thanks for listening.

4 hours ago, Jinx said:

I hate that I am back here. I have been doing an amazing job with having my health anxiety under control. Almost exactly a year ago I posted about having pain go down my left side. This time it is back with a vengeance and I am waiting for my GI appt which unfortunately is a month out.

For the last few weeks I have been having some pain on and off going down my left side. I upped my miralax, thanks to my IBS, and have not noticed a difference. I have sharp pains that come and go and take my breath away in my upper left quadrant below the breast area. It also feels like something is there all the time along with some tenderness. I can feel it go down my left side and bothers me when I try to sleep. I finally did a saline laxative thinking maybe it was constipation and again no changes. Basically this runs from under my left breast down to my lower left quadrant. I am trying to contain myself but starting to feel that panic creep in. If you are still reading to this point I thank you. I need opinions and honesty. Sad part is that I am a nurse and I should have this under control. Maybe I’m thinking to much on it. Maybe it’s something that should not be there. Thanks for listening.

It's hard for that kind of pain to stay out of the mind.  Is the pain muscular, or in the organs, or nerves?

42 minutes ago, HA123 said:

Yes Hi there! I also believe I have IBS and I have too felt that upper left quadrant pain, sometimes like you said just always there. Mine hasn’t radiated down to the LLQ too often, but when it has I chalked it up to that’s where the end of my colon is and likely just stool passing through. Sometimes sharp too, taking gasx has occasionally helped me in the past, or sometimes just increasing my water intake. And future nurse here (in just about a month) and I too have that feeling like I should have it in control but it’s totally normal to worry about ourselves and view ourselves different than we would view patients. I think overall I can relate with what you’re saying and mine usually goes away on its own with those interventions I mentioned! 

Well, if you haven't seen a doctor, I would.  Don't diagnose yourself unless you really know what is going on.  It could be something different.

59 minutes ago, Ironman said:

Well, if you haven't seen a doctor, I would.  Don't diagnose yourself unless you really know what is going on.  It could be something different.

1 hour ago, Ironman said:

It's hard for that kind of pain to stay out of the mind.  Is the pain muscular, or in the organs, or nerves?

It’s not muscular, that is for sure. I wish the wait for my appointment was not so long. 

@Ironmanwhile I appreciate your concern, you just suggested to a person on a health anxiety forum to go to a doctor to be sure there's not something wrong with me, as if I am not there enough. Now, suggesting that a person with health anxiety go see a doctor, believe it or not, will only heighten their health anxiety. I was only trying to share a little comfort here letting this person know that I too experience it and some suggestions that may help them. Last I checked most people on this website do tend to self diagnose, not saying it's right but it's the truth. If your suggestion for people who believe they have a disorder/ disease/ condition on this website is to go see a doctor, I respect the concern however making that comment is going to cause distress to many people.

27 minutes ago, HA123 said:

@Ironmanwhile I appreciate your concern, you just suggested to a person on a health anxiety forum to go to a doctor to be sure there's not something wrong with me, as if I am not there enough. Now, suggesting that a person with health anxiety go see a doctor, believe it or not, will only heighten their health anxiety. I was only trying to share a little comfort here letting this person know that I too experience it and some suggestions that may help them. Last I checked most people on this website do tend to self diagnose, not saying it's right but it's the truth. If your suggestion for people who believe they have a disorder/ disease/ condition on this website is to go see a doctor, I respect the concern however making that comment is going to cause distress to many people.

And my point is - to go to a doctor as a last resort.  The thought of spending a lot of money to show nothing is happening....might be a deterrent on its own.

The appointment was already scheduled.

1 hour ago, Jinx said:

It’s not muscular, that is for sure. I wish the wait for my appointment was not so long. 

If you already have some things to bring you relief in the meantime, you should be okay.  Stay hydrated and take your vitamins.

Hi. This problem of when to go go to a doctor crops up now and then. Some say do it as a last resort. I say do it as first resort. For two reasons. If it is a physical problem of some sort then it can be treated, Secondly, it will give reassurance that you are OK. You can then concentrate on the real problem. anxiety. Some dislike going to the doctors for fear of what they may find. But surely it is only sensible to get any problem sorted as early as possible? I know, being sensible and logical is very hard when we are in an anxiety state. Of course, here in the UK going to a doctor costs nothing, and I can appreciate that in some countries you do have to pay. But even that can be worth it if it gives peace of mind. Getting the courage to go is another problem. We tend to put any sort of examination off as long as possible. This is, of course as always, an individual choice. But surely peace of mind and some reassurance is worth it. Whatever you do in anxiety will cause stress. Go or not go!! We dither and procrastinate in anxiety. Up one day, down the next.  It seems so right one day only to see it as a danger the next. It is often better to grasp the nettle than live in constant fear of it. This is, as always, a very personal opinion. 

• Like 1

I was having left side groin pain. Went to the doc got an expensive CAT scan. Never heard back from him. I figure the pain is a chronic pulled groin muscle. I had a pulled hammy that took a year to get completely better. That was when I was a teen. Groin pulls ca be tough at my age I guess.

My concierge internal medicine physician told me that any persistent pain should be investigated. 

I do not have an answer per say, but i can tell you i had exactly your symptom about 1,5 years ago (see my posts) and all tests were completely clear and it just 'suddenly' went away after a year or so. Still no clue what it was. 

Well I decided to just make an appointment with my PCP and it is today. We are taking a trip soon and I don’t want to miss out dealing with this. Hoping it is something simple and an easy fix!

Good luck and let us know how you make out. 

I completely forgot to update but my PCP believes I am having spasms in my colon and referred me for a colonoscopy. Yay me! 🙄