Sign in to follow this  
BirdieS

Lexapro

Hi everyone, I’m a regular poster in the Health Anxiety group. I’ve been having severe panic attacks where I’m near the point of checking myself into a hospital - uncontrollable shaking, disorientation, hyperventilating, crying, shivering, etc. These attacks are usually health issue-related. I’ll feel a shooting pain in my head (that my doctor says is completely harmless) but will spiral out of control believing I must have a terminal illness. I could go on about this but I’ll spare anybody who’s reading. Last month I went to have my eyes checked in a last effort to figure out where some persistent headaches are coming from, and I ended up being diagnosed with a rare degenerative eye disease of which there is no cure. My panic attacks and anxiety have become unmanageable since then and are affecting my relationship with friends and family, my kids and focus at my job. I’m super sad about this, as for years I was managing my anxiety just fine with rigorous exercise and diet changes. Anyway, to make a long story short, my PCP recommend a therapist and gave me short term prescription for Lexapro to help me through this tough time. I used to take Paxil twenty years ago and I wasn’t happy on it. Does anybody take Lexapro? I’m looking for personal experiences with this and if anybody has found it helpful.

Many thanks...

Birdie, I don’t know if this will help but I was in your position a couple months ago. I was constantly shaking, having increased heart rate every time I stood up, cold sweaty feet, insomnia, and general sickness. It started out as what I thought was anxiety, then I thought it was POTS, and has gone back to what I feel is mostly anxiety (although I constantly worry I’m going to die from cancer or something else). I have gone back on my Zoloft after only 3 months of being off 😕 I kind of wish I had never gotten off. But at the time I felt stable. And I was on a good regimen of eating healthy, exercising, and taking lots of natural supplements recommended by my psych NP. Anyway, I’m back on it and it seems to be taking a bit longer and higher dosage to see results this time but it is working. I’m working with my psych NP who is very holistic as well as a naturopath to help me support my body with lots of supplements but also detoxing. 

All of this to say... I know Zoloft is not Lexapro but they are fairly similar (both SSRIs used for anxiety and depression) and honestly if you’re at the point where your anxiety is unmanageable it could be just the tool you need to help lift you out of that darkness. I have a friend who went on Lexapro for about 9 months during a tough time for her and I know she really liked it and it really helped her.

Hope this helps. Don’t be afraid to look at the whole picture which can include fixing nutritional deficiencies, detoxing, eating right and exercising (which it sounds like you do), therapy, brain retraining, and meds if you need them 🙂

• Like 1

My wife is pharmacist and she said before stopping any medicine, to talk with your physician first. 

Why are all of these people advertising on this forum???

The links aren't needed if there is enough information in the post.

Linking like that implies spam, though.