Sign in to follow this  
sTeaLth

Tongue Inflammation - Starting to panic (Pictures Added)

A few weeks ago my entire mouth was sore. Gums and all. I assumed it was something new we bought that I was eating. I’ve since cut that product. My mouth has entirely returned to normal except the tip of my tongue, though I’m not sure it was that product anyway. It remains red and almost raw feeling. There is no swelling or white spots. It just feels like I burned it sipping hot coffee or something. Nothing seems to relieve it aside from ice or some essential oils. Any idea what may be causing this?

Sometimes I'll eat something that will do that to me.. usually it's sour candy and it lasts for days after eating it. Vinegar foods will as well. For my husband it's salsa. Lol and Everytime he eats it he says damn this is going to tear my tongue up but I don't care it's so good. 😆 

And as always, the more we think of it and pay attention to it the worse it is and sometimes gets with the constant messing of it. 😒

Ya, I normally ignore until it disappears.  This one has been here for about 5 weeks now.  Though it has lessened drastically.  It is literally the tip of my tongue.  It started as my entire mouth.  Whole tongue and gums.  So I guess... it is improving?  😄

Bah.  Now I’m falling into my old habits of catastrophizing thoughts.  There isn’t even pain any more.  It’s literally just that feeling of I burned my tongue a day or two ago.  Tonight as I was chillin, I noticed a new sensation under my tongue.  Small but there.  I looked in the mirror to find what appears to be a canker sore forming on the bottom of my tongue.  That wouldn’t normally make me freak but of course because of all of this other stuff  I’m struggling to not freak out.  It’s making me think of all the terrible things that could be causing this stuff.  I do not want to go back into the rabbit holes.  They never end.  Help!  😩

The biggest thing is , you know that you don't want to go down the rabbit hole so you can take control of your thoughts which are totally irrational and telling a lot of lies. Tell them to F off lol and try hard to stop looking.. feeling... Etc with your tongue. It will get better ...give it some time.. hugs. You are okay. It's going to be okay. 

• Thanks 1

It is feeling a lot better this morning.  Still just weird.  I will take it easy and try to ignore it for a few days and update you then.  Thanks again, Holls.

• Like 1

Always!!! And I'm glad it's feeling better it will continue to every day. Hugs. 

I don't know why but I can't shake this thing.  Going to the doctor is the obvious solution here, to determine for sure that it is nothing.  That freaks me out though for several reasons.  I don't want to go it all alone with this virus going on.  Also, the what if factor always stops me.  The underside of my tongue is better today but man, the inflammation does not want to stop.  The funny thing is that no matter what I google on this... I realize this is a bad idea, nothing extremely bad comes up.  It is mostly infections of some kind and what not.  Still, freaking me right our man.  😕  I hate this crap!

If you have a chance @Holls, look up Burning Mouth Syndrome.  Honestly, what I am experiencing is almost EXACTLY the description of that.  It is inflamed on the sides and tip.  That is all, some redness and the weird feeling.  There is no white at all.  Nothing like the worst case scenarios of mouth cancer or other bad things.  It feels like I burned my tongue on something.  No pain, just that same weird feeling like I drank scalding tea the previous day.  It is bizarre to say the least.  I am trying to calm myself and convince myself it is nothing serious.  I have not struggled this bad in a long time.  😞

Any time I hurt my mouth I swish around a little salt water in my mouth it usually helps clear up problems.

34 minutes ago, Ms.Moon said:

Any time I hurt my mouth I swish around a little salt water in my mouth it usually helps clear up problems.

Ya. I tried salt water for the first time today. The main issue is this is a persistent inflamed tongue for over a month now. Some days are worse than others. My anxiety spiked today and it’s the worst it’s been since then. Burning Mouth Syndrome can be brought on by anxiety. 😒

I truly believe this is not bad, it's just annoying to you and I hear from your post how much this is bothering you and with that, it's on your mind a lot right? I can make my tongue burn right now..... Just did it and I'm being serious, not being a smart ass. The power of the mind is wild!!!! I do believe your tongue is a bit irritated but have you given it a break? I haven't had to go to my pcp during the stay at home orders. I wonder just for your peace of mind could you call your Dr or do a video type call? I bet even your dentist would take a peek at it for you. Hugs. I hope this goes away soon for you..I've had anxiety here and there lately too...they come fast an leave fast but would rather them not come at a lol. You are still doing great with your anxiety! 

• Like 1

I am going to give it a few days and try to avoid certain foods.  See if it goes away.  In the morning it is barely there.  It gets worse through the day.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sTeaLth said:

It feels and looks WAY better today. 🙂

That's awesome news!!! I know you are relieved. 😘

I have a bad habit of rubbing my tongue against the back of my front teeth and that will make it sore.  Make sure you're not doing that. 

11 hours ago, Ihadcancer said:

I have a bad habit of rubbing my tongue against the back of my front teeth and that will make it sore.  Make sure you're not doing that. 

This legit might be part of the problem. I’m trying to be conscious of not doing that kind of thing for the time being. Praying it all subsides. It’s gotten to where if I just take a quick peek at my tongue it looks normal. I have to inspect pretty close to see anything wrong. Which of course, my tongue is not something I ever pay close attention to so who knows what’s normal. 😂

I am going to post some pictures to hopefully get some honest feedback from people who understand how I see the worst case even though it may not be bad at all.

Just figured I’d post a few pictures so people can see my tongue and give me honest feedback.  I can’t trust my own judgement as I, of course, think worst case. You can see that my tongue is red when I coil it back in the second picture. It used to be more red when normally stuck out, as in the first.  That has cleared a lot more and now it seems to be far more normal.  There is no swelling or pain. Just a little sensitive and red as if I burned it. Feedback?

IMG_5301.jpg

IMG_5306.jpg

IMG_5307.jpg

Your tongue looks absolutely normal. I had to look at mine and compare lol.. so mine is a bit redder than yours but other than that.. I'm sorry this is still a bother for you. 😞 But I don't see anything concerning or out of the ordinary

• Thanks 1

I’m going to force myself to take a solid week off talking about I or checking it. Then see where we’re at. Thanks @Holls. You’re still my favorite. 🙂

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sTeaLth said:

I’m going to force myself to take a solid week off talking about I or checking it. Then see where we’re at. Thanks @Holls. You’re still my favorite. 🙂

You are too!!! You have helped so so many and when I slip into old worries you always bring me back to reality. 

I think that's a great plan! You know how powerful the mind is. I went through a short (2 week) worry over bulbar fears.. and you know I'm sure , how subtle that is not but I had a hell of a time with my tongue. I felt like it was preventing me from swallowing and breathing right. I could hardly eat.  But it was all me doing it. Once I took a break it went away. Ughhh! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Holls said:

You are too!!! You have helped so so many and when I slip into old worries you always bring me back to reality. 

I think that's a great plan! You know how powerful the mind is. I went through a short (2 week) worry over bulbar fears.. and you know I'm sure , how subtle that is not but I had a hell of a time with my tongue. I felt like it was preventing me from swallowing and breathing right. I could hardly eat.  But it was all me doing it. Once I took a break it went away. Ughhh! 

I've been there with this stuff.  Constantly playing with my tongue has made it tired and i was sure for a few days that it was becoming weak.  Nope, just tired of being forced into random positions ALL DAY LONG.  Ya, ignoring it makes this almost disappear.  It may still be something simple, but fearing over it is doing me no good at all.

• Like 1