Sign in to follow this  
AbeLinkedIn

Splinter or something else?

Sorry to make another thread so soon after this but I'm wondering if I'm looking for something that's not there. In my other thread I mentioned that I had hurt my big toe on my right foot, more specifically pricking it with a toothpick while I walked out of my kitchen. I picked it up and threw it out and only saw a bit of blood come out. Yesterday I noticed the area had gotten red and thinking I had a splinter, I started digging but gave up. Same song and dance this morning, I saw a white mark like pus and tried to look around for anything that might resemble a splinter but no avail. 

My main fear is infection/sepsis/tetanus which is the killer for splinters and I don't feel comfortable seeing a doctor at the time this is written. I'm afraid that if there was a splinter it's still there and my attempts to get it out have made it worse, or there never was one and I hurt my big toe unnecessarily. I've been peroxiding and neosporining the wound nonstop but it still hurts. Can someone, anyone ut my mind at ease? 

You might want to go to an urgent care if this is looking infected.  My aunt got a splinter in her finger and nearly had sepsis because it got infected.

Already addressed this, avoiding doctors until this pandemic's under control. It doesn't feel infected, no fever or anything other than redness 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AbeLinkedIn said:

Already addressed this, avoiding doctors until this pandemic's under control. It doesn't feel infected, no fever or anything other than redness 

I absolutely do not think you will get sepsis. I am very hard headed about getting something out of my skin.. be it a splinter or glass etc.. I always soak it in Epsom salt and it usually takes a few days for it to come out on its own. Peroxide and Neosporin is perfect for what you describe. Can you order Epsom salt?.it would take some.of that pain away as well as heal it. If it's not truly a splinter I think just the trauma of the kicking the toothpick plus the constant messing with it is what the real problem is. Hugs you are going to be okay. 

3 hours ago, Ms.Moon said:

You might want to go to an urgent care if this is looking infected.  My aunt got a splinter in her finger and nearly had sepsis because it got infected.

I don't want this to cause any issues but this comment isn't one that would help an anxious person. The chance this would happen to some one is extremely small. 

Hi Holls. I do agree. I have no wish to cause offence, but I suggest that while it's OK to air our own problems, because that's what the site is about, but any advice given should be carefully worded. If we come back with a negative response that will only make the person worse because we are all so open to suggestion. Words have power, and I have said this many times. Words are symbols of ideas, and negative ideas abound in health anxiety. Our vulnerability is often overlooked in this awful problem. I know that Ms. Moon did not post that in any way to upset anyone, we need to appreciate that. There have been many such posts over the years and it still emphasises the importance of choosing words carefully.  

Best wishes.

• Like 2

Update: The site looks better but still sore. I feel a bit hot but we have temps in the 90s today so it could be that. Still going to apply neosporin as it never failed me yet.

I don't see any sign of a splinter either but my main concern is if I did more harm than good looking for one

I know people are avoiding the doctor because of Covid, but where I am they are taking many precautions to avoid unnecessary exposure to people in doctors offices. Not sure about urgent care places, but our regular doctors office is doing it’s best to prevent contamination. You cannot enter unless you have an appointment. They are triaging people before they can make an appt to determine if they need to come in or not. They are limiting the number of patients at one time so there are not people in the waiting room. They are cleaning rooms thoroughly between appointments. I don’t think you need to see a doctor, but if you did it is safe to do so. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Iugrad91 said:

I know people are avoiding the doctor because of Covid, but where I am they are taking many precautions to avoid unnecessary exposure to people in doctors offices. Not sure about urgent care places, but our regular doctors office is doing it’s best to prevent contamination. You cannot enter unless you have an appointment. They are triaging people before they can make an appt to determine if they need to come in or not. They are limiting the number of patients at one time so there are not people in the waiting room. They are cleaning rooms thoroughly between appointments. I don’t think you need to see a doctor, but if you did it is safe to do so. 

I'm glad you posted that, I was wondering what they were doing and this makes me feel better if in the future I needed to take myself or my children.