Sign in to follow this  
angrry

Back....and scared again

Hi...it's been a while since I posted, but here I am again. Once again its a colon cancer fear. It all started a couple of months ago...pain in my left side and lower abdomen. Then it seemed I started to get a bit constipated. I saw my new dr and he sent me for a ct to check my kidney. The results showed my kidney was fine, there also didn't appear to be any issues in my abdomen. Well it continued and didnt get any better so he sent me to a GI. I saw him 3 weeks ago. He went over everything and said he doesnt think there is anything serious, but, he will do a colonoscopy. I'm currently waiting for an appointment date. The pain continues, almost like a constipation type pain, i rarely get a strong urge for a BM anymore. TMI but when i go to the bathroom, the output doesnt seem to match the input and it seems narrower and smaller than usual. 

I had a scope done 3 1/2 years ago and it was clear except for some diverticulosis on the left side. I'm very scared and fear that a tumour has grown on the left side and is causing the pain and bathroom issues. I'm going crazy waiting to find out when I'll go for the scope. I worry that by the time I go for the test it will be too late and any cancer that is there will have spread to point that is beyond help. Sorry for going on, but I'm really really scared.

Hi There Sorry you are feeling this way...It gets us all doesn't it.  If the CT didn't show anything significant let's take that as a good thing. I have had the same problem too  and is ongoing. I am not sure if because we are focusing on things like this it seems worse than it is.....I have heard and don't quote me that a colonoscopy  is good for 5 plus years. I believe Colon cancer takes a long time to grow. I had a benign polyp which apparently wasn't causing the pain I was having and there was nothing else to report. I was convinced there should be something!  It is so hard waiting for tests and then waiting results, I feel for you. Please try to stay positive as hard as it is. We are all with you. I am sure anxiety messes everything up especially the digestive issues. Everything crossed for you and keep writing until your appointment that will help.

• Like 1

thank you Sallyhart.....the waiting is very hard....the fact it's taking so long to hear about a test date probably means the GI isn't overly concerned...I wish I could say the same...I've read studies that showed there is a pretty good percentage of people who had clear scopes yet 3-4 years later were found to have colon cancer....this fact and all the symptoms i'm having are making it very hard for me to stay calm about this.....I'm a mess, pretty emotional and scared all the time these days

Angrry!  First, hello 🤗. Now you need to listen to me and read this post as many times as necessary. It is impossible (1 in a million) that you can go from a clear colonoscopy to cancer in 3.5 years!!!  I know all about colon and rectal cancer. First, my mom was diagnosed with rectal cancer and also, I have had my share of colon fears over the years. 

Listen to me carefully. It takes at least 7-10 years, and I’m being very conservative with that number (meaning it’s typically 10-15+ years) for nothing to develop into cancer in the rectal/colon. 1 in 100 polyps have the potential to become cancerous. No GI would recommend a scope more often than once every 5 years unless there’s a strong family history, or a past scope had the polyp with cancer potential. I know neither situation is true for you.

Your doctor ordered the scope because he can see how totally stressed out you are, so why not to ease your fears? Angrry, I would bet my house that you do not have CC. YOU DO NOT HAVE CC!!!

Please live your life. Your pain is constipation, or muscular, or other totally not serious causes. Finally, thin stool or change in the amount of stool are not symptoms of CC. Search this site for my previous posts on this subject, and please trust me!

Bob

I call bullshit to any article you read saying 3-4 years. That is nonsense. There’s a lot of stupidity on the internet. If you must google, google MD Anderson, Johns Hopkins, Cleveland Clinic, Mayo, etc. 

I agree with Bobnnat, no surprise there angrry ;) 

You know I have no colon anymore but I know that pain, have it now. You know the power of the mind... We've talked about this many times, you're a pro at this! That pain will vanish when you get a clean scope! I know you know this, keep hanging in there as always! 

• Like 1

Have you had a stooltest? Ask the doc to test for calprotectin. It is designed to detect IBD, but it also has a negative predictive value for colon cancer of 99%! So combine that with your clean colonoscopy and you are crystal clear my friend! 

Also, a stool test looks for possible giardia infection which is harmless but could verywell cause your symptoms. So nice side effect!

its non invasive, cheap and fast. If you keep worrying, do this. No point in more invasive testing

ty Bobnnat, Gilly and Ellebel....i really appreciate the support...I got the letter today...my scope is Nov 12th....i'm going to try very hard to stay calm until this is done....I'll also remind myself of all you have said, as you know HA isnt a very logical disorder so it's a struggle to listen to logical information....

• Like 2

it's going to be a hard 5 week wait for the scope...still in pain, still having bm's that seem to be abnormal shape, calibre etc.....so tired of all this