Concerned-pa

An update...

Saw a neurologist today who did a full checkup. He doesn't feel there is anything spine or brain related. I asked him why and he explained that MS acts a lot like a stroke and hits one side of the body hard. He also said thee are certain reflexes that I didn't have that would typically point to MS. My balance and strength looked good and he doesn't think I need a spine MRI. 

However when he did the babinski on my right foot initially, I reacted upward. He then told me to relax, look up and spell "world" backwards. I did that and must have passed because he didn't note an issue. Does that sound normal?

Now where things get interesting. My blood pressure was really high 163/92, and it's normally 120/70 ish. He also said my heart resets quickly after every 15 seconds or so. As such, I'm going to be wearing a monitor next weekend for 48hrs.

He doesn't seem overly concerned. He also wants to run a full gamuts of tests for Lyme and another tick born llness as well as thyroid.

So, now I'm not a lot further ahead, and still worried.

Sounds like you got some solid answers as far as what you're NOT dealing with. As for the BP, that's not uncommon for someone with such terrible anxiety. Even mild anxiety can temporarily raise BP. Sounds to me like he just wants to use the 48hr monitor to make sure nothing is missed.

• Like 1

yea almost every doctor visit im at my bp is prehypertension, my last visit was normal though and it was normal when i went to the machine at the pharmacy too... so the anxiety of waiting for doctors apparently gets me going..

• Like 1

Thanks. It seems like he doesn't seem overly concerned, but the heart thing has me a little worried. Could all be stress though and would prove what you all have been saying. Just how bad stress can be on the body.

• Like 1

Stress can cause havoc on both the mind and body. There is a large list of possibly symptoms. Mentally, you can experience everything from restlessness, inability to sleep / stay asleep, brain fog, inability to focus, intrusive thoughts, and much more. And the physical effects are just as vast - twitching, numbness/tingling, aches, pains, increased BP and/or heart rate, heart palpitations, weakness, sweating, and so on.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Concerned-pa said:

Saw a neurologist today who did a full checkup. He doesn't feel there is anything spine or brain related. I asked him why and he explained that MS acts a lot like a stroke and hits one side of the body hard. He also said thee are certain reflexes that I didn't have that would typically point to MS. My balance and strength looked good and he doesn't think I need a spine MRI. 

However when he did the babinski on my right foot initially, I reacted upward. He then told me to relax, look up and spell "world" backwards. I did that and must have passed because he didn't note an issue. Does that sound normal?

Now where things get interesting. My blood pressure was really high 163/92, and it's normally 120/70 ish. He also said my heart resets quickly after every 15 seconds or so. As such, I'm going to be wearing a monitor next weekend for 48hrs.

He doesn't seem overly concerned. He also wants to run a full gamuts of tests for Lyme and another tick born llness as well as thyroid.

So, now I'm not a lot further ahead, and still worried.

It's ok to still be worried. How wouldn't you be? In anxiety it takes a long time to condition ourselves to the point of constant worry and stress, so therefore it takes a while to get back to regular emotions also. You can do it. 

Didn't get the copy of the results for the last EMG, but received this statement, 

"There were some mild abnormalities to the sural nerve and tibial nerves without any axonal loss - not enough to qualify as a neuropathy. Moderate L superficial fibular nerve mononeuropathy at the ankle. Overall benign EMG. No evidence of demyelinating process or lumbar radiculopathy. I believe his neurology appointment is soon, hope the findings can be addressed at appointment. "

So another little update. My leg tightness was bad yesterday after my appointment and through the day (stress?).

Today it was good. My dad and loaded and then unloaded about 800 board feet of lumber that will be made into flooring for the new house. I felt a little weak/tires at times but my leg strength was fine when I tested it with lunges. I noticed that when driving it felt a little bit more tight then when I get out and walk around it seemes to be ok. I came home with my son and played in the yard running around a lot and it never really seemed to get too tight or too sore but it's definitely noticeable. I feel it mostly in my right calf.

What do you guys think?

I think you are over analyzing every movement and sensation, or lack thereof. Your EMG was benign with minor issues that the doc can talk to you about at your follow up. You need to stop focusing on how you’re feeling all the time and also stop strength testing yourself. 

Nothing you mentioned sounds concerning, just overuse of muscles that got tired. You can’t expect to do a lot of manual labor and not feel it afterward.

The BP isn't a big deal. My doctor says that anxiety can raise BP levels slightly and everyone's levels are different when it comes to normalcy. It's not extremely low or high which would be a cause for alarm. 

As for what you're feeling now, I agree with Lugrad, your muscles are tired from working so hard. Ever hear the phrase "Oof, I'm going to feel that in the morning?" Same thing here, you won't immediately feel the effects unless you really did hurt yourself, which I doubt aside from overworking some. Give your muscles time to recoup

On 4/19/2019 at 5:38 PM, Concerned-pa said:

What do you guys think?

The very telling thing there is that you're aware and have logged every sensation to every movement made and noted periods of tightness etc.  That proves that you're conscious of yourself and your sensations.  This is the reason that you're feeling the way that you do.

1 hour ago, Concerned-pa said:

Well, I’m wearing my monitor as of today. It’s quite annoying.

I hear you, wearing monitors is a real pain, especially at night but you do adapt with time. 

8 minutes ago, Mark G said:

The very telling thing there is that you're aware and have logged every sensation to every movement made and noted periods of tightness etc.  That proves that you're conscious of yourself and your sensations.  This is the reason that you're feeling the way that you do.

Yeah. My calves have been tight recently (mainly today and yesterday). Worries me but then I have to keep telling myself it's probably nothing even though I never really felt this before.

You may have actually felt it before but when you’re in a higher anxiety state you notice and focus more on these “odd” sensations that aren’t really odd or new.

9 hours ago, Concerned-pa said:

Yeah. My calves have been tight recently (mainly today and yesterday). Worries me but then I have to keep telling myself it's probably nothing even though I never really felt this before.

Tight muscles are one of the most common symptoms of anxiety as we hold our muscles in anticipation.  If you consciously try to drop your shoulders, you will see how tight they are.