Lior

The strangest sleep phenomenon

Hi everyone,

for the past 2 years I have been experiencing the weirdest thing during sleep and honestly I would just like to know that maybe someone else in the world has been through it too. 

The first time it happened, I just woke up in the morning feeling something happened in the morning. I felt very confused not understanding what’s going on, i got up to wash my face and the water felt weird on my hands and face. Then I realized I had the craziest bruise on my arm and scratch marks from my nails from where my other hand was resting. 

Since then this phenomenon changed a bit, it happens to me every few months, sometimes 8 months can go by without it happening but sometimes only one month. 

It happens during the night closer to the morning i think, i feel myself coming out of deep sleep, and then i just feel like my brain is melting. I don’t think my eyes are open. And i feel as if I’m turning over on my stomach and banging my legs against the bottom of the bed (which should be painful). In reality I don’t even know if I’m actually moving or its just a sensation. I don’t wake up with marks on my legs or anything. It’s a very unnerving feeling and I can feel myseld thinking “oh no oh no” when I feel it coming on. After I fall asleep straight away and wake up early in the morning. 

The problem is also the next day, my head hurts and feels heavy, and my body just feels completely drenched of energy, as if I was really fighting something and using up all of my energy. It takes me a good part of the day to recover and feel somewhat normal again. 

I’ve been seeing a neurologist every 6 months for two years now and even he doesn’t know what to tell me anymore. I’ve done brain MRIs, EEGs during sleep- all the results come out normal. 

Most of all I would just like to know if someone out there has experienced or has heard of this. 

Maybe I should also note that I have hashimotos (but I’m balanced) and also tend to experience a lot of anxiety related issues quite often :) 

thanks!

Hi. Lior. Welcome to AC. :).

An interesting post. When we sleep we may think our minds rest. They don't! The unconscious takes over hence dreams. The unconscious tells us a lot in dreams about ourselves, but most people say 'oh well, it's only a dream'. It's never 'only a dream'. It sounds to me that you have a very active mind and have pushed a lot of unwanted thoughts into you unconscious. You have control over thoughts while you are conscious, but not when asleep. Things may often seem 'weird' and you may be disorientated, confused.

The problem is also the next day, my head hurts and feels heavy, and my body just feels completely drenched of energy, as if I was really fighting something and using up all of my energy. It takes me a good part of the day to recover and feel somewhat normal again. 

There is no doubt that in your sleep you are fighting something. Yourself! The unconscious often tries to put things right in anxiety. You can wake up feeling refreshed after a night's sleep. yes, even in anxiety. But there is a fight going on in your mind of which you may not be aware because you are unconscious, asleep. Fighting of any sort will drain energy and you will feel physically tired in the morning. You have created a battleground in your mind and the battle continues at night, but unconsciously. Even the physical symptoms you have are all about you fighting yourself, which is you trying to put things right by punishing yourself.

Most of all I would just like to know if someone out there has experienced or has heard of this. 

Yes, when counselling I heard it often, and it's just another of anxiety's many little tricks and diversions. Don't be bluffed by feelings and emotions. As your anxiety dies down, and it will, so will these symptoms subside. But you have to try and come to terms with it and realise this is all a perfectly natural experience you are going through. If all your tests have come out normal then you must believe the medics and try to ACCEPT the feelings, the tiredness and the emotions. Don't fight or struggle with them, as you do in your sleep. Take them all as they come and stop frightening yourself. I know how difficult that can be, believe me! To me it's the only way to calm yourself. It takes time. Everything in managing anxiety takes time, but it can be done given the will. Best wishes and come back whenever you want. We are here!!!

Hi Jonathan 

thank you for taking the time to respond, it’s very much appreciated! 

Over the years I have felt every type of a anxiety-related issue there is. I guess I never thought that this one can also be connected. It seems too real and scary.

I fear it every night before I go to bed, but I guess I might just have to accept it and maybe it will happen less often. 

On 4/6/2019 at 4:44 PM, jonathan123 said:

Hi. Lior. Welcome to AC. :).

An interesting post. When we sleep we may think our minds rest. They don't! The unconscious takes over hence dreams. The unconscious tells us a lot in dreams about ourselves, but most people say 'oh well, it's only a dream'. It's never 'only a dream'. It sounds to me that you have a very active mind and have pushed a lot of unwanted thoughts into you unconscious. You have control over thoughts while you are conscious, but not when asleep. Things may often seem 'weird' and you may be disorientated, confused.

There is no doubt that in your sleep you are fighting something. Yourself! The unconscious often tries to put things right in anxiety. You can wake up feeling refreshed after a night's sleep. yes, even in anxiety. But there is a fight going on in your mind of which you may not be aware because you are unconscious, asleep. Fighting of any sort will drain energy and you will feel physically tired in the morning. You have created a battleground in your mind and the battle continues at night, but unconsciously. Even the physical symptoms you have are all about you fighting yourself, which is you trying to put things right by punishing yourself.

Yes, when counselling I heard it often, and it's just another of anxiety's many little tricks and diversions. Don't be bluffed by feelings and emotions. As your anxiety dies down, and it will, so will these symptoms subside. But you have to try and come to terms with it and realise this is all a perfectly natural experience you are going through. If all your tests have come out normal then you must believe the medics and try to ACCEPT the feelings, the tiredness and the emotions. Don't fight or struggle with them, as you do in your sleep. Take them all as they come and stop frightening yourself. I know how difficult that can be, believe me! To me it's the only way to calm yourself. It takes time. Everything in managing anxiety takes time, but it can be done given the will. Best wishes and come back whenever you want. We are here!!!

Hi Jonathan, 

i think maybe you did not see my previous comment as I did not reply correctly. 

Cam you kindly elaborate on having seen these symptoms before? Did it really sound like my situation? 

After waking up at 6 am from another “episode”.. after reading your helpful comment i told myself that the next time it happens i will try to ignore it and not give it this spotlight. But waking up confused- not knowing what day it is or even where I work - is very alarming and hard to ignore. 

In addition, feeling a burning sensation in my airways, as if I had difficulty breathing. 

I really do feel lost, and if it really is just weird panic attacks in my sleep- how do i get rid of them??

thanks! 

Hi. Lior.

Don't fight or struggle with them, as you do in your sleep. Take them all as they come and stop frightening yourself. I know how difficult that can be, believe me! (My quote).

And that advice still stands. You can't ignore emotions or feelings. They are there and have to be seen for what they are. Thoughts,  possibly in  a tired mind. When emotions and thoughts come it's because our natural ability to forget them has lessened. We become vulnerable to suggestions of all sorts, that's why Googling is out. We frighten ourselves. You don't try and 'get rid' of anything. I said before, this is natural experience in the circumstances. Who wouldn't feel upset, tired and having problems with memory when we flog ourselves 24/7! Ok, so you forget. Well, forget. But forget with acceptance in your heart. I am not being funny.  You will always remember the bad incidents but hardly ever the good ones. Our minds get stuck in a groove, like the old gramophone records. They play the same tune over and over. The more we try to 'fight' it off the worse it gets. I'm not saying it's easy, oh no! and I don't have a magic wand that can help  in the form of words. But I do know that by accepting your feelings and not allowing them to frighten you you will be on your way. When in the same state as you I would often be driving along and forget where I was or where I was going. That was many years ago.  It's frightening. I say it is! But I only wish I knew then what I know now, I could have saved myself so much pain. You will be OK if you take it easy. ALLOW the thoughts to come, but see them for what they are. Tired thoughts in a tired mind. Are you on medication of any sort? Prescribed drugs can sometimes cause memory problems.    Best wishes.

Thanks again,

I don’t usually suffer from memory loss. It’s only when I wake up after an “episode” that I feel completely disoriented and exhausted the entire day. 

Last time following your advice, i told myself I would brush it off as anxiety, but it’s very difficult to do so when after having the “episode “ it throws me off for the entire day and I cannot function properly. 

Thanks again,

I don’t usually suffer from memory loss. It’s only when I wake up after an “episode” that I feel completely disoriented and exhausted the entire day. 

Last time following your advice, i told myself I would brush it off as anxiety, but it’s very difficult to do so when after having the “episode “ it throws me off for the entire day and I cannot function properly.