Ethansmom

still having acid reflux! worrying me

Okay. As I mentioned in another post, this all started when I upped the dose of my Effexor to 150MG. I have had acid reflux for the past 2 1/2 weeks. I have been taking tums almost every day.   I really don't want to have to try another med since I think this med is actually working to make me calmer in the mornings and I'm generally a happier person. Not perfect, but it is helping. The doctor said it may go away in a few weeks or we may have to switch meds. I don't want that! My diet has been poor lately ( I realized I've had tons of acidic things which are a big no no for acid reflux). I'm worried i'm going to get throat or esophagus cancer from the acid reflux! Would that be something that would have to go on for years in order to get it. Any tips to get rid of the reflux?

No, you don't have to worry. Not at all. Not only does it take "years", it most often takes DECADES of untreated/poorly treated reflux before you begin to cause irreversible damage and increase risk of malignancy. Reflux doesn't "cause" reflux, it can just increase your risk if it's not treated properly.

Give it time and see if the reflux ceases. If not, consult with your physician. He/she can advise further. However, it sounds like this is not unusual, and it may very well pass sooner rather than later.

Thank you Binn! I just talked to my doctor and she is going to try switching me from capsules to tablets to see if that makes a difference. She also recommend over the counter acid reducers like Pepcid AC. We’ll see! I’ll keep you posted and thanks for making me feel better! ?

Awesome. Please do let me know how things turn out. I take a PPI (Pantoprazole, generic Protonix), but I still have to occasionally take a couple Tums (chewables). No worries. :)

Update: still dealing with acid reflux daily, but also drinking coffee :( I will try not having any tomorrow . I’m a coffee addict so it’s hard! My doctor switched me to Effexor tablets and I’m feeling anxious. They are not working the same as the capsules , and still getting acid reflux. I think I am switching back to capsules tomorrow and will continue to take Pepcid Ac which really seems to help control the acid reflux. I hope the reflux will go away. I don’t want to have to take another pill, but the Effexor capsules were starting to help..  also I now have pinkeye! Going to the doctor tomorrow :( Is there a full moon, or what???

44 minutes ago, Ethansmom said:

Update: still dealing with acid reflux daily, but also drinking coffee :( I will try not having any tomorrow . I’m a coffee addict so it’s hard! My doctor switched me to Effexor tablets and I’m feeling anxious. They are not working the same as the capsules , and still getting acid reflux. I think I am switching back to capsules tomorrow and will continue to take Pepcid Ac which really seems to help control the acid reflux. I hope the reflux will go away. I don’t want to have to take another pill, but the Effexor capsules were starting to help..  also I now have pinkeye! Going to the doctor tomorrow :( Is there a full moon, or what???

Sorry to hear that. :( It's nothing to be concerned about or anxious about though. These things sometimes take time to figure out. You may need a different reflux medication instead of what you're currently prescribed. That's also normal, not unusual at all. I've been lucky with all my medications so far, as 1) I have zero side effects, and 2) they seem to work perfectly fine. Most people aren't that lucky. Haha.

You are so lucky! Did you ever find a med for your anxiety? I know you were considering that? I hope you are doing well! ?

3 hours ago, Ethansmom said:

You are so lucky! Did you ever find a med for your anxiety? I know you were considering that? I hope you are doing well! ?

No, I haven't gotten that far yet. The psychiatrist I went to see wasn't a psychiatrist - they were a psychologist. Again, my insurance reported them as psychiatry. LoL. However, I've continued therapy (next session is Oct 12), and I've learned a lot. Most of what I've learned, I've used in recent weeks, and it has helped significantly.

Thanks a bunch. :)

I upped my dose today and still having this problem. I had coffee this morning and then a banana. I started burping. Took klonopin ( then had heartburn). Waited a bit and took Effexor (just upped dosage) and I could feel the acid coming up my throat. I then had some yogurt( fat free) to see if that would help coat the stomach. Nope. The reflux is even stronger. I just popped Pepcid ac. And waiting for it to kick in.  I’m so worried this is causing damage and that I will need to change meds again for the 5th time. My husband feels it will go away and that I am making it worse by worrying about it . Feeling down today. Why can’t the damn reflux go away!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Ethansmom said:

I upped my dose today and still having this problem. I had coffee this morning and then a banana. I started burping. Took klonopin ( then had heartburn). Waited a bit and took Effexor (just upped dosage) and I could feel the acid coming up my throat. I then had some yogurt( fat free) to see if that would help coat the stomach. Nope. The reflux is even stronger. I just popped Pepcid ac. And waiting for it to kick in.  I’m so worried this is causing damage and that I will need to change meds again for the 5th time. My husband feels it will go away and that I am making it worse by worrying about it . Feeling down today. Why can’t the damn reflux go away!!!!!!

I have acid reflux probably 3x a week.. happened after I had my first child.  I just take an acid reflux pill or Alka Seltzer. Is your fear about the reflux or your medication? I remember you having a lot of anxiety over medicine right? I'm with your husband.. take the pepcid or whatever works for the reflux and heartburn and it will be fine. It takes years and years of it constantly to cause damage.. I think bin mentioned that as well. Hugs. Sometimes if we change the way we think we can rationalize things a bit better. 

My fear is that the Effexor will work but that I’ll always have the reflux problem and will need another pill to treat it.... then I’ll get throat cancer or something! 

1 hour ago, Ethansmom said:

My fear is that the Effexor will work but that I’ll always have the reflux problem and will need another pill to treat it.... then I’ll get throat cancer or something! 

Are you worried to take pepcid? A lot of people have acid reflux without taking any pills. It's very common. 

Yes . It’s not something I should take long term according to the pharmacist. I’m so sick of feeling like this. It’s definitely the Effexor that is wreaking havoc on my stomach/ esophagus. No other changes were made .

5 hours ago, Ethansmom said:

Yes . It’s not something I should take long term according to the pharmacist. I’m so sick of feeling like this. It’s definitely the Effexor that is wreaking havoc on my stomach/ esophagus. No other changes were made .

What does your Dr say though? How long will you be on the effexor for? Hugs.  Sorry this is causing you anxiety. I think your Dr probably chose that medication and the good out weighs any bad.. including the reflux. 

My psychiatrist is trying to figure out if it’s the medication or it’s a coincidence that it happened at the same time. I know it’s the Effexor and I know my body. She wants me to take Pepcid ac for a few weeks to see if will settle my stomach and the reflux. Maybe it will go away in time if I stop worrying about it? We are going to give it a few more weeks. She mentioned talking to my general doctor If it doesn’t go away. Why would I do that if it’s med related? Can’t she come up with something. I swear sometimes she really makes me anxious. I do see my therapist tomorrow. I had to cancel last minute and I feel like she was a bit annoyed by me. Ughhh. 

49 minutes ago, Ethansmom said:

My psychiatrist is trying to figure out if it’s the medication or it’s a coincidence that it happened at the same time. I know it’s the Effexor and I know my body. She wants me to take Pepcid ac for a few weeks to see if will settle my stomach and the reflux. Maybe it will go away in time if I stop worrying about it? We are going to give it a few more weeks. She mentioned talking to my general doctor If it doesn’t go away. Why would I do that if it’s med related? Can’t she come up with something. I swear sometimes she really makes me anxious. I do see my therapist tomorrow. I had to cancel last minute and I feel like she was a bit annoyed by me. Ughhh. 

I think she mentioned your PCP so she can write you a prescription for a reflux medicine. Hugs. It will all get straightened out very soon. 

I have gerd like no ones business. It's terrible. It seems every med I take makes it worse and drinking water is awful too. Want to know why my gerd is so bad... because I let it go and didn't treat it when it started. 

I personally like zantac 150mg. I take one in the morning and one at night. The pepcid a.c. doesn't last as long for me. You can also take tums it you need a little extra help. 

Take your med and it will help. Once your body adjust to the med you should be able to stop taking the pepcid. Also make sure you take your antidepressant with crackers or something, that will help. If the acid reflux comes back after stopping, start taking it again and ask your doc about long term meds for acid reflux or if you can stay on pepcid.

IF you need a med for the long-term there are plenty of great ppi out there if you do not want to stay on pepcid. I personally like zantac so much better than ppi I stay on it. 

You will be okay. Treat your acid reflux and it will help prevent your fear. 

My son has great relief with Nexium. He was taking OTC but his dr prescribed a higher dose for 3 months, then lowering to a maintenance dose after. 

Seems once it starts there's some settling down time that's needed. 

Dr was staight forward... take this everyday for 3 months. It was not .. take as needed.