Jessi

Should I trust my ultrasound?

I've been having some upper right abdominal/back  aches/discomfort for a little over a month now.  I'm concerned it's my liver (I drink wine).  My labs were great just a few weeks ago, and I just got an ultrasound a couple days ago that came back fine.  I'm still worried that maybe they missed something and that I should push for a Ct, even though I was already denied that by my insurance and got stuck with the ultrasound instead.  This is my second ultrasound in a year and a half, and both claimed to be normal.  

I know this is probably anxiety talking.  But I just can't shake it.  

Yes. Yes you should trust the ultrasound.  Both of them. And the lab work. And the fact that your doctor isn’t rushing you off to another test. In the meantime, if you’re like me you like to do something proactive. Sooooooo stop drinking wine?  It’s an option. And maybe take up yoga and a little mindfulness meditation. Focus on inner well being. 

Wow, I see how hippie-dippy that sounds but honestly, I think we could all benefit from this. Especially me!  I might have stumbled on my new year resolution. Investing in yourself and your body will repay your mind. 

• Like 1

Thank you!  I feel better this morning.  Last night I just had a bout of anxiety.  I think I may need my med increased.  But I actually do plan on picking up yoga and clean eating.  I did that religiously before I started my job, and I felt amazing.  

Also, if anxiety is getting the best of you, look for some therapy. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy worked wonders for me. Gave me all sorts of coping tools. There are literally hundreds of reasons for abdominal and back pain, almost all of which are not lethal diseases. I guess it comes down to the old adage, "we hear hooves and expect zebras."

Glad you are feeling better today, Happy New Year!

A clean ultrasound and good blood work is going to be the end of testing. There really isnt a reason to do a ct scan.  You have probably read a bit about liver issues.  Your doctor has seen them a lot more than you have. At some point, especially after 2 ultrasounds, you have to accept that yes, the pain is real, and no, it is nothing serious and will resolve itself.  Check your posture when driving, at the computer, etc.  That is where most unexplained ab pain comes from.  

4 hours ago, lofwyr said:

Also, if anxiety is getting the best of you, look for some therapy. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy worked wonders for me. Gave me all sorts of coping tools. There are literally hundreds of reasons for abdominal and back pain, almost all of which are not lethal diseases. I guess it comes down to the old adage, "we hear hooves and expect zebras."

Glad you are feeling better today, Happy New Year!

Thanks!  I am in counseling, which is helpful when I can actually get in.  She books out, so I can't even get back in for another month.

3 hours ago, Trainwreck said:

A clean ultrasound and good blood work is going to be the end of testing. There really isnt a reason to do a ct scan.  You have probably read a bit about liver issues.  Your doctor has seen them a lot more than you have. At some point, especially after 2 ultrasounds, you have to accept that yes, the pain is real, and no, it is nothing serious and will resolve itself.  Check your posture when driving, at the computer, etc.  That is where most unexplained ab pain comes from.  

Thank you.  Anxiety is a monster.  I know I need to trust the dr and the radiologist that read my report.  

Crazy thing is, I'm so logical with other people about their issues, but when it comes to my own, it's always worst case scenario.

Jessi,

It is a monster.  The thing that you have to keep in mind is that medical people don't like to be sued.  So the radiologist read your scans pretty closely.  I had 2 ultrasounds done on my gallbladder.  Both times they found a  hemangioma that was less than 1/2 wide inch on my liver.  (These are weird benign tumors that are very common.).  My point is that they don't just look for one thing.  They look at every picture.