sTeaLth

Internal Shaking/Trembling Feeling

I’ve been having this for a day or so now after fearing due to my face having a weird twitch/brushing feeling on it for a week. I only noticed it after getting in bed and trying to sleep. I’m not actually shaking but it feels kind of like my very bones re vibrating. It seems to move around if I roll over or change positions. Very disconcerting. Sadly, my fears these days has gone to Parkinson’s due to working previously with a guy who had it. I refuse to google symptoms but I’m thinking my anxiety is creating what it thinks it would be like. Anyone else experience this shaking inside from anxiety?

I have absolutely had that and it has absolutely gone away...for years. For a while I was having it off and on, on the regular but when I finally just gave up it went away. I'm sure for me it was anxiety. Hang in there.

• Like 1

Thank you, that is very helpful to hear.  I made a catastrophic mistake and looked up internal shaking feelings.  Of course MS and PD came up as the only options, which of course are worst case scenario.  I know anxiety can cause it too.  I had a small panic attack but am feeling a bit better now.  I definitely felt the feeling this morning but now I am not sure if it is persisting or if it has backed off at this point.  I am trying to believe it is anxiety and not a disease... but as you know, that is hard to do.  I hate anxiety.

35 minutes ago, sTeaLth said:

... but as you know, that is hard to do.  I hate anxiety.

It is...believe me...I know it is. Going through my own struggles right now as well. Sigh... HA is a beast. For me, I was equally as freaked out about the symptom and then just sort of "gave up." I just stopped fighting it because I had literally worn myself out about it. I didn't "try" to stop it. I just plumb wore myself out. That's the only way I can explain it. I wish I could do that again now with my own fear du jour but alas. Anyhow, once I gave up...it's like the HA said "Darn, this isn't working any longer. Okay, bring on the next symptom." Meanwhile, I can also tell you this I have other family members that have complained about the same internal shaking/trembling feeling and they are all alive and well for decades...but of course, they too battle anxiety. I'm the calm one in the family. Ha ha! think about that!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, PennyPanic said:

It is...believe me...I know it is. Going through my own struggles right now as well. Sigh... HA is a beast. For me, I was equally as freaked out about the symptom and then just sort of "gave up." I just stopped fighting it because I had literally worn myself out about it. I didn't "try" to stop it. I just plumb wore myself out. That's the only way I can explain it. I wish I could do that again now with my own fear du jour but alas. Anyhow, once I gave up...it's like the HA said "Darn, this isn't working any longer. Okay, bring on the next symptom." Meanwhile, I can also tell you this I have other family members that have complained about the same internal shaking/trembling feeling and they are all alive and well for decades...but of course, they too battle anxiety. I'm the calm one in the family. Ha ha! think about that!

You are helping a lot right now.  Since it just came on yesterday, and is not constant... I think anxiety is the bets bet here.  I am believing it will let up as I let Anxiety go and believe it's nothing this time as well as the last 50 times it was something I was "sure" of.  

1 hour ago, sTeaLth said:

You are helping a lot right now.  Since it just came on yesterday, and is not constant... I think anxiety is the bets bet here.  I am believing it will let up as I let Anxiety go and believe it's nothing this time as well as the last 50 times it was something I was "sure" of.  

Anxiety is nerves.  Nerves twitch.   Nerves make us more sensitive and jumpy.  The fight or flight response at its best is going on right now.  There is more to Parkinson's and Muscular Sclerosis than this.

• Like 1

I don't have anything helpful to add besides saying I've had this too, and it definitely goes away when I'm not thinking about it. You also mentioned it felt like it would move around, and I feel like these things would likely affect one area and then spread, not jump around, you know? If one area feels better while another one suddenly feels worse, I'd imagine it's anxiety. 

Side note, love your avatar. 🙂 Have you played Tears of the Kingdom yet?

• Thanks 1

I have a little, not much yet.  I plan to playthrough it eventually.  Not a lot of time for gaming these days.  I do notice this goes away when I exercise or keep myself busy.  I only notice it if I am sitting still or trying to relax.  Which kind of sucks for trying to go to sleep.

I finally made myself beat it, after wasting time doing side quests haha. Such a good game.

So I'm not a big follower of yoga or meditation, but I did download this guided meditation app at one point called Headspace, and I used to listen to it before I went to sleep. The sessions are only a few minutes long, but I found that it helped me a lot when I was trying to quiet my mind down. Might be something to look into. Hope you feel better soon.

• Thanks 1

I did read somewhere that PD is incredibly rare to get before age 60. MS is super rare to get after about age 40. I am 38, so I think I am in a good camp for both diseases. Just something to brighten my mood a bit I guess.

@sTeaLth Yes, onset of PD is usually after 60, so without a family tie, you’re probably too young for that. I’ve been in the MS fear boat before too. It’s encouraging that your symptoms go away when you aren’t paying attention to it or when you’re exercising. I used the gym as a way to prove that I was still able to do things and push myself, and I figured I wouldn’t be able to do that if I had something like MS. Keep it up if you’re doing that. 

• Like 1

It did let up almost entirely yesterday and today barely bothers me. I’ve noticed that when I feel the shaking I’m super tensed up. I mentally force myself to relax and it goes away. I believe this is the same as my twitching was five years ago. I didn’t realize how stressed and tense I was and I twitched all the time. Working on rest and relaxation right now. At this point, worst case is MS and that just isn’t all that scary. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, sTeaLth said:

It did let up almost entirely yesterday and today barely bothers me. I’ve noticed that when I feel the shaking I’m super tensed up. I mentally force myself to relax and it goes away. I believe this is the same as my twitching was five years ago. I didn’t realize how stressed and tense I was and I twitched all the time. Working on rest and relaxation right now. At this point, worst case is MS and that just isn’t all that scary. 

Tight muscles can get the nerves going, too.  The nerves were probably expecting the muscles to relax.

• Like 1

The shaky feeling went away for a few days when I focused on treating anxiety and relaxing. I had a few stressful days and it came back again. Not really freaking me out as much but doesn’t make me relax either. Today I was at the gym and noticed my reflection on my phone was shaky. Both hands but left is worse. Not horrible but enough to notice. I have only eaten yogurt today and that was a few hours ago. Very likely just no food and stress causing it. I definitely had a small anxiety spell as I thought maybe this was the start of hand tremors. I hate anxiety.

19 hours ago, sTeaLth said:

The shaky feeling went away for a few days when I focused on treating anxiety and relaxing. I had a few stressful days and it came back again. Not really freaking me out as much but doesn’t make me relax either. Today I was at the gym and noticed my reflection on my phone was shaky. Both hands but left is worse. Not horrible but enough to notice. I have only eaten yogurt today and that was a few hours ago. Very likely just no food and stress causing it. I definitely had a small anxiety spell as I thought maybe this was the start of hand tremors. I hate anxiety.

Hands shake using the phone all of the time anyway lol. 

Thinking too much causes anxiety.  My dad (RIP) used to say this to me all the time .... "It's not rocket science, John.".  I was like "Yes it is!".    When it gets to the point when you also say "No, it's not, then your good.

Just an update.  The internal shaking has all but stopped.  It almost never happens anymore.  My fears shifted for a time to a cold and throat problems again and I almost forgot about it.  I can't help but keep checking my hands for shaking though, which I know I must do.  It has reignited those fears a few times because I think my hand might be shaking.  I hold them in front of myself and keep them still and if they shake at all, it is very slightly.  I think that is normal though for our hands to not be perfectly still, especially when testing to see if they are perfectly still.  The phone test still shakes the same, which tries to get my anxiety going.  I do know that as I get distracted and busy, I don't really notice it.  Also, for days on end I was ignoring it and I am pretty sure all of it was gone for those days.  I hate this crap.  The hands slightly shaking is normal, right?  Thanks.

14 hours ago, sTeaLth said:

Just an update.  The internal shaking has all but stopped.  It almost never happens anymore.  My fears shifted for a time to a cold and throat problems again and I almost forgot about it.  I can't help but keep checking my hands for shaking though, which I know I must do.  It has reignited those fears a few times because I think my hand might be shaking.  I hold them in front of myself and keep them still and if they shake at all, it is very slightly.  I think that is normal though for our hands to not be perfectly still, especially when testing to see if they are perfectly still.  The phone test still shakes the same, which tries to get my anxiety going.  I do know that as I get distracted and busy, I don't really notice it.  Also, for days on end I was ignoring it and I am pretty sure all of it was gone for those days.  I hate this crap.  The hands slightly shaking is normal, right?  Thanks.

My hands look like they twitch with the heartbeat.  Yeah - it's normal.

• Like 1

Just a quick update. I’ve gotten pretty good at relaxing into symptoms and accepting them as anxiety. Overall, this comes and gos and doesn’t bother me too much. I played basketball hard yesterday for about 90 minutes. Just prior my hands were very shaky from nerves. Following it that day, my hands were very shaky and I was exhausted. My left shoulder often gets reinjured and makes that entire arm sore and weak.  My left forefinger moves the most when I watch my hands. I can’t quite make it totally still when I hold my hands out. Kinda started freaking me out yesterday and I kept checking. I’ve tried to stop checking but now it’s hard to not obsess over it. I slept a good night and it was basically gone this morning, then I checked a few times stupidly and of course I saw it move a bit here and there. Not like yesterday, but there. Just curious if some of you have certain fingers shake and such when you hold your hands out? I assume it is normal behavior and I’m just being stupid again. Anxiety likely making it seem much worse than it is. 

9 hours ago, sTeaLth said:

Just a quick update. I’ve gotten pretty good at relaxing into symptoms and accepting them as anxiety. Overall, this comes and gos and doesn’t bother me too much. I played basketball hard yesterday for about 90 minutes. Just prior my hands were very shaky from nerves. Following it that day, my hands were very shaky and I was exhausted. My left shoulder often gets reinjured and makes that entire arm sore and weak.  My left forefinger moves the most when I watch my hands. I can’t quite make it totally still when I hold my hands out. Kinda started freaking me out yesterday and I kept checking. I’ve tried to stop checking but now it’s hard to not obsess over it. I slept a good night and it was basically gone this morning, then I checked a few times stupidly and of course I saw it move a bit here and there. Not like yesterday, but there. Just curious if some of you have certain fingers shake and such when you hold your hands out? I assume it is normal behavior and I’m just being stupid again. Anxiety likely making it seem much worse than it is. 

If you haven't used muscles in a while, that can cause twitching and numbness.  I have tall shrubs that I have to trim TWICE a year and the things are over 6 feet tall.  I am 6'3" and am forced to stretch my arm out and sweep like frosting a cake lol.  The electric trimmer vibrates and it goes right through my arm.  After doing about an hour of work, I have trouble with my arms.

Even exercise and straining can cause twitching.

Someone on one of these anxiety sites once said "If it is not there in the morning and comes on as the day goes on, then it is anxiety or at least nothing serious".  This one is always gone first thing when my arms and hands are rested and steady.  Then as I overthink it, my arms and shoulders tighten, and I focus on it... it starts again.  Today, I am sick with a bad cold and I haven't even noticed it at all.  I think I am on my way to believing it is nothing already this time around.  Thanks.

Just now, sTeaLth said:

Someone on one of these anxiety sites once said "If it is not there in the morning and comes on as the day goes on, then it is anxiety or at least nothing serious".  This one is always gone first thing when my arms and hands are rested and steady.  Then as I overthink it, my arms and shoulders tighten, and I focus on it... it starts again.  Today, I am sick with a bad cold and I haven't even noticed it at all.  I think I am on my way to believing it is nothing already this time around.  Thanks.

Age can also be a factor.  The old adage about joints and pressure changes....