Kindra

High Blood Pressure, Scared to take meds

It’s been awhile!

Life has been rough the last 6 months, I had a family member get sick and pass away in a 5 week time frame and it was horrible. Due to covid I was the only one in the hospital with her for the entire time. I’ve had a hard time with coping and was set up with grief counselling to help me cope and heal but due to stress and lack of self care, I now have high blood pressure. A good day for me is 151/95, a bad day puts me into “emergency categories” I ended up seeing my dr who did a 24 hour monitor and prescribed me Telmisartan 40mg. I know I have to take it but I’m terrified to! I was stupid and googled the side effects and freaked myself out 🤦🏻‍♀️ Has anyone taken this medication? Or any blood pressure medication? What can I “realistically” expect?

My wife is a pharmacist and she takes high blood pressure medicine and has had no side effects. 

• Like 1

@Kindra  If a doctor prescribed a blood pressure medication, please take it.

I know there is fear.  I kind of went through the same thing.  I was put on Losartan six years ago for issues with my eye hemorrhage.

The only side effect I have is if I get up too quickly, the blood is slower to go up and I can black out briefly, but that could be part of my dehydration.

Other than that, no side effects - but remember, with blood pressure - everything is "silent", so the only way you'll know is through blood pressure checks.

The meds WILL lower your BP to a better level than they are.  Stress in general raises everything.  

I just noticed....this is my 500th post at Anxiety Central!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, William said:

Oh man, this almost feels like me right now.

If it makes you feel any better, I took the above advice and took the meds. I literally was freaking out for no reason, no side effects at all! 

5 minutes ago, Kindra said:

If it makes you feel any better, I took the above advice and took the meds. I literally was freaking out for no reason, no side effects at all! 

Well I'm not afraid to take the meds, I just hope the meds work when I go pick them up today.  My reading when I woke up this morning was 138,92,88 and now its like 160, 90, 111

I just don't know if I should go to the hospital or not.  My blood work wasn't anywhere near this high yesterday and was almost normal.  Can anxiety raise it this high?

Anxiety can make your blood pressure go through the roof. 

54 minutes ago, Kindra said:

Generally, I don't have side effects, but the getting up too quickly part comes and goes.

48 minutes ago, William said:

Well I'm not afraid to take the meds, I just hope the meds work when I go pick them up today.  My reading when I woke up this morning was 138,92,88 and now its like 160, 90, 111

I just don't know if I should go to the hospital or not.  My blood work wasn't anywhere near this high yesterday and was almost normal.  Can anxiety raise it this high?

Trust me - get your medication and take the first dose first.  Anxiety = stress situation = increased blood pressure.  That goes for anyone, not just anxious people.