Sign in to follow this  
SurferJoe

High Blood Pressure!?

I went to the dentist today, and they took my blood pressure. It was elevated. It's not normally elevated. I was in for a physical a month ago and it was normal. I was at the dentist just last week and it was not elevated. Being a worrier, however, it's now on my mind. I had them take it several times, but it remained up there. I know I have a few things not working in my favor today:

* Two cups of coffee this morning

* A stressful text exchange with my ex-wife

* Just always feeling anxious about any medical/dental appointment

I talked to my GP uncle and he said don't worry about it. I'm trying to let it go. I was so rattled that I went and bought an Apple Watch (which I'd been meaning to do anyway) to help track my health. It still felt like a total impulse drive (anxiety can make it very easy to hand over money).

I guess I don't know what to do. My uncle suggested just checking it at one of those in store blood pressure machines once I've had time to calm down. He did add that those machines are not always accurate. He didn't think I needed to tell my doctor right now, unless it would help ease my mind.

Anyone have any experience with blood pressure spiking like that?

My blood pressure is typically normal, but I used to go to this one dentist who took my blood pressure, and it too was elevated. The dentist can make anyone's blood pressure rise, if you consider what they may be doing to you, both physically and to your wallet. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, MARC said:

My blood pressure is typically normal, but I used to go to this one dentist who took my blood pressure, and it too was elevated. The dentist can make anyone's blood pressure rise, if you consider what they may be doing to you, both physically and to your wallet. 

The wallet part did play into my appointment anxiety today.

I used to go to this dentist and when I was at my appointment, they suddenly told me that they no longer accept my insurance. I needed a bunch of work and they developed a 4 stage treatment plan. The total cost would have been $5,889. I told them that someone must be going on a big trip and that I would need a second mortgage to pay the bill. They laughed and said I could work out a payment plan. I told them I would have to go to a dentist who accepted my insurance and they just grimaced a bit as they may have thought I was just another patsy. 

I definitely have some white coat hypertension, so I'm sure that played into my higher than normal reading today. I just can't shake it right now. I went for my yearly physical a month ago and came away with a clean bill of health. This is disappointing. I was just at the store and almost sat down in one of those in store blood pressure machines. I made myself not do it. Today has already been super stressful. I'm trying to take faith in what my doctor uncle said: it happens, don't worry about it. I just worry and worry. It's my thing.

@SurferJoe - it's called stress.  🙂

I actually have had a rough three days - today in particular.  My anxiety has spiked with work issues and feeling attacked.

I have to rely on things I have learned to destress.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ironman said:

@SurferJoe - it's called stress.  🙂

I actually have had a rough three days - today in particular.  My anxiety has spiked with work issues and feeling attacked.

I have to rely on things I have learned to destress.

Indeed.

I gave in and used one of those in store blood pressure machines today. I could feel myself getting wound up before I even sat down. The first reading was high. I took it again, still high, but also a lot different than the first reading. I got up, walked around, did some shopping, did some self talk about how these machines are not accurate and then tried again. It was still high, but a lot closer to normal. I might discuss with my doctor next week, but then I might now. In the meantime, I'm staying away from those machines.

My physician has told me in the past not to take my blood pressure on these store machines as they are not accurate. 

Speaking of the dentist, I have an appointment this Monday to replace a crown which popped off. I will let everyone know what they soaked me for. 

5 hours ago, MARC said:

Speaking of the dentist, I have an appointment this Monday to replace a crown which popped off. I will let everyone know what they soaked me for. 

With inflation....

I gave in and finally had to buy a mouth guard because I grind my teeth...  Well, add the bruxism of Paxil and caused filling breakage, and then crowns, and then the crown being too large and breaking the tooth above it - with a walled filling....that broke....was refilled.....broke again.....and now the mouth guard to prevent a third breakage.

The mouthguard was $630.....$160 out-of-pocket with insurance.  They will clean it for free when I bring it in for checkups lol.  

Usually the checkups are 100% covered.

6 hours ago, SurferJoe said:

Indeed.

I gave in and used one of those in store blood pressure machines today. I could feel myself getting wound up before I even sat down. The first reading was high. I took it again, still high, but also a lot different than the first reading. I got up, walked around, did some shopping, did some self talk about how these machines are not accurate and then tried again. It was still high, but a lot closer to normal. I might discuss with my doctor next week, but then I might now. In the meantime, I'm staying away from those machines.

6 hours ago, MARC said:

My physician has told me in the past not to take my blood pressure on these store machines as they are not accurate. 

For me, the store machine was pretty close, but it took two or three readings.

My dad bought one, but rarely used it - and passed away of a heart attack in 2007.  Both he had and my mother have HBP, so I am nailed genetically.  I was only put on Losartan at age 41 after I had my eye issues.  My blood pressure was always around 120/90.  I am sure my Paxil fat doesn't help.  I ran 24 miles a week and still gained weight!   

The moment I got to 148/108 after taking two decongestants (WATCH THE OTC COLD/COUGH MEDICATIONS!), the eye doc freaked thinking it was my normal rate and thought I had a stroke and sent me to the ER lol.

Let me guess, one of those wrist type BP wraps. My dentist did this, came out extremely high, sent me in a spiral. Saw my GP, he took it and it was fine.

1) Those tend to over inflate BP

2) There is a specific way to hold your arm which the dentist assistant never tells you or cares.

I just deny them doing it now.

1 hour ago, AnxiousinOH said:

Let me guess, one of those wrist type BP wraps. My dentist did this, came out extremely high, sent me in a spiral. Saw my GP, he took it and it was fine.

1) Those tend to over inflate BP

2) There is a specific way to hold your arm which the dentist assistant never tells you or cares.

I just deny them doing it now.

I think they were talking about the normal upper arm one that squeezes..  You're supposed have your arm out, with palm up, and relaxed lol.