Sign in to follow this  
sTeaLth

Stomach Concerns - Update and Question

If you have ever drank soda/pop on an empty stomach... that is the best way to describe the gnawing feeling I felt on my stomach about four days ago.  Randomly but strong, it stuck around over night and kind of freaked me out as I woke up to my stomach hurting.  No other symptoms other than a desire to use the bathroom to hopefully alleviate the feeling.  I stumbled upon gastritis and my symptoms and location of pain seemed to match.  Though, I have no nausea or vomiting.  No blood or anything.  Stools seem normal.  Just an uncomfortable feeling and generally not great feeling stomach.  I saw that PPI's can help so I started those about three days ago.  It immediately removed that gnawing feeling but my stomach is still not feeling amazing.  Today, I felt the gnawing after eating some sausage and eggs with Tabasco sauce on them.  I am hoping that is all that caused the feeling to come back.  I am eating watermelon now in hopes to calm things down again.  It has drastically lessoned after only feeling it for a half hour or so.  Of course my mind tries to go worst case and think of all the terrible things that it COULD be.  Symptoms and results from taking PPIs make my sane mind think either a bug/virus of some kind or gastritis related pain.  Anyone have some kind of experience or advice here?  Thanks.

That's almost certainly excess stomach acid.  Get that a lot myself, feels like a churning feeling.  It happens, it's not a sign of anything wrong.  Just a normal anomaly reacted upon fearfully.  Stress and anxiety create more acid in the stomach.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Mark G said:

That's almost certainly excess stomach acid.  Get that a lot myself, feels like a churning feeling.  It happens, it's not a sign of anything wrong.  Just a normal anomaly reacted upon fearfully.  Stress and anxiety create more acid in the stomach.

Thanks for the reply.  I have had stomach weirdness before but this one was a bit different, hence the concern.  PPIs seem to have proven what it is not at least.  I will maintain and see if it just resolves in the next week or so like most things do.  Thanks again.

Not a problem, if there was something going on then PPI wouldn't touch it.  The fact it comes and goes adds more weight to the acid theory.  As your stomach is out of kilter currently, be mindful of what you're eating.  Tabasco sauce and sausage are a bad combination when you have acid issues.  Anything high in fat can produce more and more acid in the stomach.  Try light things for a while and see what works and what doesn't.

• Like 1

I decided that rather than deal with another week of potential anxiety, I’d go see what’s up. Sitting in quick care waiting for the doctor just to see what she says. It’s gotten better but only barely. 

I talked to a PA but she said she honestly thinks that it might’ve been an infection in my stomach at the start of this that is already gone and I just am having recurring inlammation and/or heartburn in my upper stomach. No other symptoms and the physical exam was fine so she said she’s not worried at all. Stay away from coffee and acidic or spicy foods for about a week and continue taking the PPIs I’ve been taking. Basically there was no reason for me to come but I wanted the peace of mind. 🤷🏼‍♂️

3 hours ago, sTeaLth said:

I talked to a PA but she said she honestly thinks that it might’ve been an infection in my stomach at the start of this that is already gone and I just am having recurring inlammation and/or heartburn in my upper stomach. No other symptoms and the physical exam was fine so she said she’s not worried at all. Stay away from coffee and acidic or spicy foods for about a week and continue taking the PPIs I’ve been taking. Basically there was no reason for me to come but I wanted the peace of mind. 🤷🏼‍♂️

That is pretty good news!

• Like 1

Things have been improving steadily. Not entirely gone yet, but definitely improving. Curious though, I’m pretty sure I’ve had a few ulcers near my belly button for years. I noticed them during this whole thing even more and I’m not sure if they’ve gotten worse or if I’m just noticing them more now. Anyone else have little lumps in their belly that can be sore if pressed on too much? Just wondering if I should go back to have them checked or not. 

Would stomach ulcers produces bumps?  I have no idea.

9 hours ago, Ironman said:

Would stomach ulcers produces bumps?  I have no idea.

Sorry. I think they’re Umbilical Hernias. They’ve been there for years but of course now that I’m stomach focused I think I’m noticing them more. Pretty common and not usually dangerous unless they start hurting or turn colors. Just curious if anyone else had anything like this. 

I have had an umbilical hernia for years. My belly button sticks out and you can push it in, and it is soft. When I was in the ER in June 2021 when I was dehydrated, and they took a CT scan with contrast of my abdomen and pelvis and mentioned the hernia and just said it was small and unremarkable. My GI physician told me they get worse when you are overweight and not to do anything unless they get painful or get hard. My best friend has one too. 

• Thanks 1

I finally decided to establish care with a general in my city.  I talked to him today and he didn’t feel anything but decided to test for H Pylori to see if I have an ulcer. The pain  has drastically reduced but persists a small amount. I’m also doing a full blood work tomorrow morning. He suggested testing for celiac and my liver but I suggested we just do a full panel. What all do they look for in full blood panels? I’m not really nervous… but I still hate the waiting game. Thanks. 

Blood test came back a few weeks ago and it was all normal. I will be doing an H Pylori test on the 28th. My stomach has largely stopped hurting though today, oddly, the discomfort hit me again after drinking a smoothie. Overall, I kind of hope it’s just H Pylori and I can take antibiotics to knock this out and heal up. I have basically every symptom. Off and on aching that’s worse with an empty stomach. Bloating. Nausea on occasion. And so on. It would be nice if it would be simple and done!  

4 hours ago, sTeaLth said:

Blood test came back a few weeks ago and it was all normal. I will be doing an H Pylori test on the 28th. My stomach has largely stopped hurting though today, oddly, the discomfort hit me again after drinking a smoothie. Overall, I kind of hope it’s just H Pylori and I can take antibiotics to knock this out and heal up. I have basically every symptom. Off and on aching that’s worse with an empty stomach. Bloating. Nausea on occasion. And so on. It would be nice if it would be simple and done!  

I am going to have to look that up - I don't know what that is.  I am glad you are finding things out, no matter how slow it seems.

1 hour ago, Ironman said:

I am going to have to look that up - I don't know what that is.  I am glad you are finding things out, no matter how slow it seems.

Basically it is a bacteria that causes gastritis, inflammation, acid reflux, and ulcers. I’m thinking I have it. If not… well then. I’m not sure at that point. I’ll find out soon enough.   

One of the best tests to check for any upper GI issue is an EGD according to my GI physician who is the head of the department at a large regional hospital here in Baltimore. The test is very low risk, very quick and will help alleviate any speculation and worry. I had an ulcer in my lower esophagus around 15 years ago and the EGD diagnosed it. I have had an EGD many times with no ill effects. 

This finally vanished after awhile and I had forgotten about it.  Likely, Gastritis.  Just wanted to update that is came back over the last few days I am sure due to the crazy stress I have been under lately.  I plan to ignore it this time and take gastro supplements to fight it.  Stress jacks us up guys.