Sign in to follow this  
SurferJoe

Groin Pain Worries

About a month ago, my partner accidentally kneed me in the groin while we were sleeping. It felt like it does when someone (or something) gets you in the testicles. She felt awful about it, but purely an accident. I then made the leap that something was wrong with my testicles and I spent the next 30 minutes checking them over for anything wrong. It became rather obsessive. My brain kept saying check and then check again in case you missed something. I didn't find anything. On the rational side, I know nothing happened out of the ordinary. That part of my anatomy is really sensitive and it got bumped and I felt something. It's happened before. I just can't let go of the worry.

It has manifested itself into a lingering on and off again pain (mostly just a dull sensation) in the general area of my groin (mostly on one side). I can tell myself a multitude of reasons why this is all in my head. The symptom came after the anxiety trigger. I have felt this anxiety/sensation before. The off putting sensation/pain comes and goes. It has not been constant over the past month. It has gone away for minutes and hours and days and even weeks. It "vanishes" whenever my brain is focused on something else.

It actually completely vanished last weekend. We went away and while I was worried about it on Friday morning, I felt nothing all the way through Monday night and then it got triggered again. This time, I was drying off after a shower and I noticed the skin on my inner thigh was red and sore, most likely from all of the walking I did last weekend, but then bang, the odd groin pain came back. It was really hard to take. I thought I was passed whatever this was and before I could truly take a breath it was back.

I do wonder if there is now a physical component. I wonder if my brain focusing all of this energy towards that part of my body causes it to tense up. That is almost what it feels like. It's also worse when I spend the day sitting at work. It will feel normal when I wake up, but throughout the day I can feel it creeping in and taking hold. That might be why it has felt better on days when I'm up and moving most of the day (like last weekend).

Anyway, thanks for listening. Deep down I feel like this is in my head, but I just can't seem to shake it. It will be gone for a period of time, but then it's back.

23 hours ago, SurferJoe said:

About a month ago, my partner accidentally kneed me in the groin while we were sleeping. It felt like it does when someone (or something) gets you in the testicles. She felt awful about it, but purely an accident. I then made the leap that something was wrong with my testicles and I spent the next 30 minutes checking them over for anything wrong. It became rather obsessive. My brain kept saying check and then check again in case you missed something. I didn't find anything. On the rational side, I know nothing happened out of the ordinary. That part of my anatomy is really sensitive and it got bumped and I felt something. It's happened before. I just can't let go of the worry.

It has manifested itself into a lingering on and off again pain (mostly just a dull sensation) in the general area of my groin (mostly on one side). I can tell myself a multitude of reasons why this is all in my head. The symptom came after the anxiety trigger. I have felt this anxiety/sensation before. The off putting sensation/pain comes and goes. It has not been constant over the past month. It has gone away for minutes and hours and days and even weeks. It "vanishes" whenever my brain is focused on something else.

It actually completely vanished last weekend. We went away and while I was worried about it on Friday morning, I felt nothing all the way through Monday night and then it got triggered again. This time, I was drying off after a shower and I noticed the skin on my inner thigh was red and sore, most likely from all of the walking I did last weekend, but then bang, the odd groin pain came back. It was really hard to take. I thought I was passed whatever this was and before I could truly take a breath it was back.

I do wonder if there is now a physical component. I wonder if my brain focusing all of this energy towards that part of my body causes it to tense up. That is almost what it feels like. It's also worse when I spend the day sitting at work. It will feel normal when I wake up, but throughout the day I can feel it creeping in and taking hold. That might be why it has felt better on days when I'm up and moving most of the day (like last weekend).

Anyway, thanks for listening. Deep down I feel like this is in my head, but I just can't seem to shake it. It will be gone for a period of time, but then it's back.

That part of the anatomy is sensitive.  There are other muscles involved down there.  You might had trauma to the muscles.  Stretching gently would help as long as you are not swollen.  That would be a doctor problem, but it looks like you are past that phase and just lingering pain.

I have not had any swelling or really any actual pain. It's more of an off sensation in that area. It's something I notice almost out of the corner of my eye if that makes sense. I had no worries until the initial incident and even that was minor. It just opened up the idea to my mind and my anxiety seized on it. That said, I do think maybe a physical component has developed. The more I focus on that part of my body, the more tension I think I carry, so now I do have moments where I have some soreness related to that.

My physician told me that if a symptom becomes bothersome or begins to interfere with your everyday life, then a health care professional should be consulted with. 

I would say that if it is still ongoing, like MARC said, I would see a doctor.