25andScared

HPV terrified of head & throat cancer

I don't know if anyone really knows about the subject but I'm terrfied of getting head and throat cancer from HPV. A couple months ago i was here with fear of als. It crippled me, i was in bed for weeks. My mom finally took me to the hospital, i was prescribed ablifiy and hydralazine. I had to stop abilify due to losing insurance. Now im here. 4 years ago some woman pushed my wife against a wall and gave her an open mouth kiss. There was no sexual activity whatsoever. Just a kiss that lasted seconds. Idk that person so I have no way of knowing if they have hpv. My wife isn't concerned but I AM. Since oral cancer can be spread through oral sex and I have no way of knowing if this woman had oral sex with someone who had hpv and spread it to my wife and in turn to me. I am terrfied of getting head and throat cancer and as of know there is no sure way to test for hpv inside mouth. I am scared and right back to where I was. Can anyone help me ? Please. I have only ever had one sexual partner as has my wife. 

Nearly everyone has some strain of HPV or other.  I too have only had one sexual partner, and I had it, while said partner tested negative, so who even knows where it came from?  Most strains are harmless.  Even the harmful strains rarely turn into something (mine cleared on its own, as most do), and when they do, it's a slow process.  

Depending on your age, you could still be able to get vaccinated, but honestly you probably don't need to unless you guys are considering swinging or something!

My goodness the chances of that occurring from what you describe are millions to one!  Add to that, what Molly says is all true. There truly are threats out there and that's why we're all here but I can assure you this is not anything to give a second thought to.

• Thanks 1

I've never had another sexual partner, don't plan to. My wifes only other sexual partner was her rapist at age 11. Which scares me as well, idk if he had hpv and has somehow passed it to her because hpv lays dormant for so long.. shes 26 years old now. I'm scared somehow I will contract it and get cervical or oral cancer. I know it isn't rational, i know the chances are slim but it scares me and idk how to make it stop. 

Rapist at age 11?  You threw that in all of a sudden.

Not all of sudden. I just hadn't thought it mattered since it was so long ago. Then I get on Google and spend all night worrying and being anxious. I know she was ****d when she was 11 but I was more concerned with what had happened recently. 

The HPV virus that can cause throat cancer in men is spread by the man performing oral sex on the woman and the woman has the HPV virus. Even then, the chances are pretty uncommon. I know of three people who had throat cancer from the HPV virus. The first person was 45 when diagnosed and he passed away at 52. He had treatment at the Mayo Clinic in Arizona and the doctors were pretty sure it was caused by HPV. He had a few sex partners. The second person had many sex partners when diagnosed at age 52 and he was out of commission for a year but survived and is OK now. The third person was diagnosed at age 64 and is in remission and also had many sex partners. My ENT physician told me that he is seeing an increase in the HPV related cancers for men in there 50's and 60's. He said that the HPV cancer can present itself as a tumor on the base of the tongue that is diagnosed by Laryngoscopy. 

• Thanks 1

That was concern.  The woman was a lesbian and I can't be sure if she contracted it somehow and passed it through kissing my wife. And there is no early test to detect oral cancer from hpv. Has me frightened. I really don't wanna go backwards with my anxiety but it seems I already have. 

I assume your wife has been tested.  (And if she's not getting regular screenings, she should be; it should come alongside the pap.)