Jremtx

I was doing so well.

Hello everyone, I’ve been off and on this site for awhile. 

Let me just keep it simple....

back in October that’s when I started my HA FEAR. My hotspot is my left calf. And of course I twitch everywhere else sometimes but majority left calf. 

Ive seem more than 3 doctors and they told me it was ALS. I was good for awhile, I got a new job, etc. started working out more and more. I had an appointment last month with a neurologist but I felt like I was okay. 

A month later  I twisted my left ankle in basketball cause I tripped on my friends foot. Then I reinjure my ankle cause I was dancing and I guess I slipped on some water on the floors anyways my head has been saying “what if it’s the beginning”

ive had twitches since October and I know something more sinister would show by this time now so I calm down a little but it’s always there. 

I’m going through a brake up right now, I dropped my friends and don’t go out as much anymore. I sleep most of my days. Just a lot going on rn and I don’t know what to do. I’m 25 and I feel like I’m going no where in life and everything is falling apart. Thanks for reading this. 

Hi! 

Yes, it’s always there, and it’s gonna be there until you allow it to be there. 

What-if thinking is what keeps us in the loop of fear. 

Setbacks occur. It’s normal. More important is how you react to them. 

Why have you dropped ur friends? 

I suggest you to start going out again. At least for some short periods of time.  Making baby steps. It will help you to shift your attention from yourself and your symptoms. 

Secondly, let the what-if thought be with you. It’s just a thought. You don’t have to pay attention to every thought you have. 

Don’t give up. 

• Thanks 1

Hi. Jremtx.

Read Nastasia's post. Every word she says is true. It's all about the way we think. Thoughts are powerful, IF WE ALLOW THEM TO BE!  Nastasia is saying that thoughts should be allowed to come, but not given any credence. Trying not to think them is useless. How do you stop thinking? But if you allow them and see them for what they are  then you may be able to reason with them. Talk to them. Ask what meaning they have for your life and what message are they sending. It's all a learning process, and if we can see that it helps to manage anxiety. She says 'don't give up'. I agree. Self pity can so easily creep in. PLOMS disease is a nasty complaint. 'Poor Little Old Me in this State'. It gets you nowhere and even adds to the anxiety. If you are going through some emotional trauma at the moment then that does not help. But all things pass eventually and often what we think is a disaster turns into a blessing

• Like 1

The fear of this disease takes an enormous toll on one's mind. The fight against the thought process that tries to convince you that you a struck by it has to be relentless. The previous suggestions are spot on. You have to consider you're not dying from ALS but only living with the fear of it, which is bad enough.

It's like a situation where your girlfriend or boyfriend left you. Your mind is constantly trying to put you in the loop again. Memories, pictures, objects of the loved one left behind... you dwell on these. Same here, every opportunity is taken by your mind and its over interpretation of very common symptoms so they can become ominous signs, and then 'evidences' of the disease. 

The first thing to do is to make that system starve out and thus not to feed it with informations gathered on specialized websites, not to check your body looking for atrophies that are only in your mind, not to wear out your muscles by constantly testing them. And then there's learning to accept that the fear will still linger about, ready to build itself up at every occasion you throw at it.

Starve the thing out and accept it will still be there somehow. Learn to live with it and learn to live despite it is there.

• Like 1

@Nastasia thank you. 

I get into these moments where I feel like the whole world doesn’t like me. Then I think about each mistake I made in my life and I tell myself I’m not good enough and I’m never going to do anything with my life. Then the whole HA Doesn’t help either. 

I feel like being alone is the best thing for me and everyone. 

22 hours ago, Jremtx said:

@Nastasia Then I think about each mistake I made in my life and I tell myself I’m not good enough and I’m never going to do anything with my life. Then the whole HA Doesn’t help either. 

I feel like being alone is the best thing for me and everyone. 

Maybe that's the root of the problem with your anxiety. The program of self-punishment is set in your mind which stems from irrational beliefs and lots of guilt. I think you should address these issues and challenge those negative beliefs. 

Could you clarify?  You said you saw 3 doctors and they said it was or wasn't?  I'm assuming you meant to type "wasn't".  If you've seen 3 neurologists and they all said the same thing, then be rest assured it's not.

May I suggest getting an appointment for a therapist?  Sounds like you got some stuff you gotta sort out.  We can provide support but having someone one on one you can talk about regarding all your worries is great.