jonsie150

I got the "all clear" on my STD test today

I can't begin to describe how much I hate health tests. Even routine blood tests freak me out. So it takes a lot of energy (and emotional distress) for me to go through with one.

Anyway, I started seeing someone and we may be getting serious, so I thought I'd get a STD test just in case. I always wear protection, so it's not like I'm at high-risk for one thing or another, but still, it's a matter of principal. 

It took a LOT for me to convince myself to go in for the test. It was like a whole day of me lying on my couching and running through all the worst-case scenarios in my head. But I finally did it, and the nurses and doctors were super nice, and the wait wasn't bad. Felt a little anxious post-test as I awaited results. But today I get a call saying that everything's good. Huge wave of relief. Anyway, I just wanted to bring this up because it was a minor victory for me; hopefully it helps others who are test-averse like I am.

PS: In no way do I mean to stigmatize STDs. The "victory" is more so about me taking the effort to go get tested, and less so about the negative results. Certainly, a STD is far from being the end of the world. 

• Like 2

Way to go. I know what you mean about stressing over stuff. Be proud of yourself for going and getting it done and now you know the truth! 

• Like 1

Glad all was well and wanted to applaud you for taking steps to protect someone you care about.  

I have been married for most of my life, so I wouldn't even know how to approach a serious relationship.  But do you now have to ask your partner to be tested?  

Awesome work going in and getting tested. I had to be tested recently and it was pure hell waiting for the results even when I knew the likelihood was nearly zero. I hope you are feeling better.

On 4/14/2017 at 8:04 AM, Trainwreck said:

I have been married for most of my life, so I wouldn't even know how to approach a serious relationship.  But do you now have to ask your partner to be tested?  

I don't think that talk is necessary until both parties agree that it's time to be exclusive. But once it is exclusive, I think it's only fair for both sides to be on the same page and get tested. It's an awkward conversation, sure, but you just have to make it known that it's only a matter of principal and respect for one another's safety, not a matter of distrust.