Ami

I got a hard time to tell my parents about my social anxiety disorder

Honestly I never went to a psychologist to test am I really got an SAD. because i'm still underage and I don't know how to find a good one.

I took a lot of research on internet, and some kind of online test. And I really had A feeling that I was one. But I just can't say it to my parents.

I have a little brother with ADHD, and it makes me can't tell em even more. I've always been a role model for my siblings. And I don't want to ruin it. 

Not to mention I may got an ADHD too, cause I just too similar with my brother.

But I wasn't like this back then. And now I scared, and confused.

What should I do?

Hi Ami

It sounds to me that you have good parents. They've obviously raised you as an excellent person. I can tell by the way you take responsibility in being a role model for your siblings. So I see no reason why you should be afraid to ask them for help. 

Perhaps it's your social anxiety itself making you doubt what to do. Anxiety makes us have the silliest thoughts and we start to believe things that aren't true. You believe you'll be a burden to them. If they are decent folk  (& I believe they are) it will be no burden at all. 

A parents greatest wish is to see their children be happy. If you are unhappy, your parents will do whatever is in their power to help. This may mean getting you a doctors appointment or a cousellor. It's not a big deal.

They themselves may not fully understand your anxiety. People who have never had it themselves just don't get how crippling it can be. It's not that they are stupid or trying to be hurtful, people just don't get it. So be clear when you try to explain it to your folks that this isn't just shyness, it's something more and it gets in the way of you living a good life. Just do your best to let them know this but try not to be too upset if they just don't get it. You may have to approach them more than once before they realise this is a real problem. Be patient with them. 

I have a feeling though, they will do what's in your best intrests and they will care for your wellbeing. Don't be afraid to speak up. 

In the meantime though, we're always here for support at AC. 

Good luck Ami

• Like 1

Hi. Ami. A warm welcome to AC.

My goodness, you have got your young mind in a twist, haven't you? Now if I may say so without upsetting you, but you are in the realms of anxiety and its associated problems of which you have little understanding, which is not surprising at your age.

First of all stop sticking labels on yourself. Know what I mean? The medics need labels to identify certain symptoms, but you don't. OK! So you have anxiety. Fine, leave it that and let's look at ways of helping.

First of all keep away from the internet and the diagnostics they come up with. Only your GP or some professional will know because each of us is unique and our needs vary so much.

I have just read 'lonesailors' post and I endorse everything she says. You will only get good advice here. Why? Because we know having been there. You are young and the world lies before you, don't let the old bogeyman anxiety fool you into false beliefs about yourself.

Good luck and very best wishes. Come back when and as often as you want.     Jon.

• Like 1

Thanks for your support. It's normal, to be scared at first... Right?

Maybe need a time, but 'll do it.

Thanks again. For both, "lonesailor14" and "jonathan123"

• Like 1

Of course it is Ami, of course it is! Who wouldn't be scared. You are in a world of anxious thinking and that can scare anyone, however strong they may think they are.

Maybe need a time, but 'll do it.

WOW! Yeah, you sure will. You have a good attitude and that helps no end. You are looking for answers and you will surely find them

Good luck.      Jon.

• Like 1

Till 7 to 8 months back,i had the exactly same problem for at least 6 years but now im perfect.When u see people u get scared because ur mind starts thinking what the people r thinking about u,are u doing smthing wrong or akward etc.What u have to do is nothing but ONLY ONE THING THAT IS CONCENTRATE and when u concentrate on what im going to tell u,ur mind will get bound not to think what others think about u nd u will get a new perception.S ee pepole think and DO,man1 thinkingbad things about somone sitting on a chair and another man2 starts abusing the same person,that someone knows what man1 is thinking somthng bad about him,now to whome he will react?of course man2 cause he abused  that means hates more or is more angry on that someone see both men hates but absuing means more hate,now more feelings r important than less feelings ,u should focus on more feelings and more feelings will ALWAYS bring some DOING,now absuing is a kind of doimg,im saying that u should not focus on what others r thinking,the ONLY THING U SHOULD SEE IS WHAT THEY DO PHISICALY.If it helps you then PLEASE help others.