Sign in to follow this  
Jojo1967

recently diagnosed with anxiety disorder

hi I'm Joe Joe and I was recently diagnosed when an anxiety disorder and it's actually causing me to be more anxious now that I know that I have it trying to find ways to cope with because I think I'm becoming a hypochondriac to the point where I thought I had a heart attack I thought I had a brain aneurysm and much more I think I've been to the doctor though sometimes the past couple weeks can anyone help me or give me some tips to help calm myself down more cuz I really don't want to be put on medication

Hi Joe Joe,  I felt the same way when it comes to symptoms and yes it scares me that I have anxiety too, especially lately because of a court case my granddaughter was involved in.   Today was a good court day so I'm hoping my anxiety will now subside and I can function again.  When I first got it I was in my 20's and I went to my doctor all the time because I thought something was wrong with me.  You're normal I would say, for someone with anxiety.  I also noticed something about myself and that's whenever I do get a pain or something I go right to the worst possible outcome and that really upsets me. I can have maybe a bladder infection and I'm in my head having a kidney transplant, crazy stuff like that.  Why I do that I don't know but I have a friend who has the same issue.  I use CD's for anxiety to calm me down and meditation and visualization is also on the CD.  It teaches you how to breath deep,  think positive and so on.  I would suggest getting one of those to help you. I am on medication thank goodness but hopefully I can lower the dosage soon. Breathing in a bag can stop you from hypervenalate too so try that too.  I keep one in my car and at home in case I need it.  You're not alone, there are millions of us out there with the same thing which actually I'm not sure brings me any real comfort but at least I'm not alone.

Hi JoeJoe ,some of the ways we are all the same thats why I come on here.At my worse times people on here make me feel better.Bterflymom oh you again sound so much like me.I can be going along great but then a few anxiety/sad days and no sleep eating is hard and bang you feel so sick inside and I hear you about taking a bladder infection and your mind making it so much worse.That happened too me last night and today far too many times I drove gilly crazy with my fear and doubts.There was nobody in the caht room and I have no friends so you are welcome to message me anytime maybe we can help each other.Bterflymom is full of i fo she has also helped me.You will see,when you hear someone is going through the same feelings as you it really helps and proves you are not alone.You take care and find a way too smile!

Hi JoeJoe,I also am taking med for anxiety,I have good days and some bad days where I also have thoughts about what wrong with me,I think the best medicine is to keep busy and surround yourself with people so your mind doesn't have time to think about your ailments. I have had days that I was so worried about my symptoms for no reason because the next day I was fine,your anxiety can play games with you and I think this site is great for people to talk with others.

Hi All, and Jojo welcome to AC. What it really boils down to is that you are afraid of your feelings.  Anxiety breeds anxiety, like rabbits, and they come in big litters!! The feelings and emotions are awful, I know BUT, they are only feelings which will not harm you. It is your fear of them that perpetuates them. You are looking over your shoulder all the time to see if they are still there. 'When will they hit me again,' what iff, and OMG'? Anticipation is a real no no in anxiety, because it keeps you on edge all the time, waiting for "IT" to come back. Medication should not be refused if your doctor suggests it. In the short term mild medication can help you to take a look at your situation and devise a long term plan for recovery. Some do well without meds but it does depend on the depth of suffering. If you have been diagnosed as having anxiety (a check with your GP is important if only to give reassurance), then begin the process of recovery by looking up the info on this site. Under RESOURCES you will find references to the work of Dr. Claire Weekes who was an authority on anxiety, especially agoraphobia. You will find she advocates acceptance of the symptoms; no fighting or struggling to be free of them, just calm acceptance. Know that however painful they are they will pass if we stop struggling. Give up the struggle. This is not easy but it can be done. And avoid self pity and despair. They just drag you down. You CAN recover no matter how bad you feel at the moment, honest you can. Many are on the path you are on and you could not have come to a better place for help as we all speak from experience. Good luck.    Jon.