Sign in to follow this  
brit

Worse panic attack

Just a couple hours ago, I had the worse panic attack I've ever had. I was at my friend's house with 5 of my friends and we were all watching tv and no one was home. I was laying down on the couch when suddenly my throat started burning a lot, like I've never felt that sensation before. So I asked one of my friends to look in my throat with a flashlight and she said my toncils were kind of swollen. For some reason that triggered something and suddenly my throat closed up and I it really felt like I couldn't breathe. I don't remember this, but according to my friends when that happened I fell on the floor, but then after like a second I got back up and I was dizzy and shaking. Then I clutched onto one of my friends shirts and I started screaming at the top of my lungs that I couldn't breathe and that they needed to call the hospital. I then started crying and my friends were hugging me and trying to comfort me. One of my friends called her mom and her mom told them to bring me outside and when we got outside I felt a lot better, but I was shaking violently. I then got picked up and I took a hot shower and I feel a lot better now and tomorrow I'm going to go to the doctors to make sure it's not something more than just a panic attack. It just really freaked me out, that's the worse it's ever gotten and that's the first time I've had one in front of my friends

Hi brit. Whoa, calm down! It is obvious from your previous posts that you are subject to bad panic attacks. Your friend, with the best of intentions no doubt, triggered a bad attack. (Ask him/her where they got their medical degree to be able to tell you your tonsils were swollen!).

Sorry, but that is the very thing that can trigger an attack, because it is negative information which, to you already sensitive to anything abnormal, can bring it on. 'You don't look at all well' is another classic example of how unfeeling people, who know nothing about anxiety, can cause problems for the sufferer. Get to your GP because you do need some sort of medication. Most important .It will only be a temporary measure and will help you calm down. The throat is very vulnerable to anxiety and difficulty in swallowing is a classic symptom.  (I know, I had it for some time). Get checked out and come back and tell us how you get on. Panic, however awful and horrible it is won't kill you. Rest assured.    Jon.

Aww brit I'm sorry. I've had those ones, they suck. I'm glad you feel a bit better now but it's not a bad idea to get checked out so you don't overly worry. It's hard when we get triggered like that, to someone unlike us with panic disorder those words wouldn't have had such an affect. As you were laid on the couch and got the burning feeling, I would bet maybe you had a little acid reflux in your throat, not a big deal but enough to set your panic off when someone says your tonsils look swollen. 

it happened to me one saturday evening when I had just eaten chinese food and my husband said "it looks like your face is swollen" instant panic attack, I thought maybe there had been something in the food I was allergic to (even though I do not have any food allergies) Turns out I had a cramp in my jaw muscle, by the time the panic was over the swelling had gone away.

Hey guys, I went to the doctors today and they said there's nothing to worry about. Right now all I have is allergies, so that defiantly makes me feel better. I also talked to my counselor about what happened and she told me good ways to stop an attack that comes on. She also told me things my friends can do to help me. I feel a lot better than I did and thank you for replying(: 

Great stuff, brit. You will be fine. Just keep up the good work and follow your counsellor's advice.  Good luck.    Jon.