Sign in to follow this  
rugger

MED QUESTION

I've been on 100mg of zoloft for a about 4 years.  For the last month I have been in a constant brain fog, 5 minutes of vertigo one morning.  Convinced I have a BT or MS.  Trying to stay away from an ER visit.  My wife thinks my meds are no longer working.  I increased the dose to 150mg/day without informing my doctor about a week ago...no change!  Do anti's just stop working over time?  Trying really hard to not think about serious brain issues, but its hard. Not functioning well right now!!! Has this happened to other people?  What did you do?

Rugger

1 hour ago, rugger said:

I've been on 100mg of zoloft for a about 4 years.  For the last month I have been in a constant brain fog, 5 minutes of vertigo one morning.  Convinced I have a BT or MS.  Trying to stay away from an ER visit.  My wife thinks my meds are no longer working.  I increased the dose to 150mg/day without informing my doctor about a week ago...no change!  Do anti's just stop working over time?  Trying really hard to not think about serious brain issues, but its hard. Not functioning well right now!!! Has this happened to other people?  What did you do?

Rugger

Rugger,

I had medications that the doctor tried out that (1) didn't work at all even when at maximum dosage, or (2) had bad side effects like exploded OCD..

It's not an ER visit, but DEFINITELY contact your doctor (the one who prescribed).  They need to know if something isn't working so he can either adjust or set a course with a new medication.  The goal is to find out as soon as possible so you do not have to deal with what you are for a long period of time.

The doctor needs to know what is going on for sure, though.

My wife is a pharmacist and she said to contact your physician and never change the dose without calling your physician. She also said medicine sometimes need to be changed or adjusted as they may lose their effectiveness over time. 

Thanks for the support guys.  I saw a psychiatrist on Thursday.  He has moved me up to 200mg...not good!  Was hoping i would not have to take that much, but i guess I do.  Horrible nausea the last few days espescially in the evening (I take it with dinner).  Telling myself it is the increase dose.  I want to stop already but I'm trying to push through, hope it gets better sooner than later.

Rugger

1 hour ago, rugger said:

Thanks for the support guys.  I saw a psychiatrist on Thursday.  He has moved me up to 200mg...not good!  Was hoping i would not have to take that much, but i guess I do.  Horrible nausea the last few days espescially in the evening (I take it with dinner).  Telling myself it is the increase dose.  I want to stop already but I'm trying to push through, hope it gets better sooner than later.

Rugger

It will take a bit of thought retraining to adjust the mind to not react, but that is okay.  Medicine in this realm is like "training wheels".

This will likely not be permanent if you can work on what is causing the anxiety - for now, the additional medication will calm your body enough.  The brain fog basically means your anxiety is at a level where your body can't keep up.  To give an example, we can speak 250 words a minute, but think up to 1,500.  If your mind is firing on all cylinders, you're going to zone out lol.  The medication for now will help stop that, but the rest is on your focus.  Eventually, you won't need that level of meds.

How we think determines how we feel!

Still struggling...fog  seams to be worse.  In addition to the 200mg of zoloft the doctor put me on 1mg of ariperzole (spelling...). Did not say to take them together or a separate times.  The increase in zoloft has not changed anything.  Anybody used ariperzole before...did it help.  I need to get out of this state !!!!

Rugger

48 minutes ago, rugger said:

Still struggling...fog  seams to be worse.  In addition to the 200mg of zoloft the doctor put me on 1mg of ariperzole (spelling...). Did not say to take them together or a separate times.  The increase in zoloft has not changed anything.  Anybody used ariperzole before...did it help.  I need to get out of this state !!!!

Rugger

Aripiprazole is Abilify.

I don't think I was on Abilify.  I was on Ambien for a while and Geodon for a while.  I would think the Abiify would be taken at night, especially if you are having trouble sleeping.

At the time I was taking Geodon/Ambien, I had trouble sleeping due to worry.