William

High blood pressure fear

So I have this at home blood pressure monitor, and my dr said to check it once per day.  Yesterday it was a little high, and today it was 138,92,88, and then it just started to go higher each time I tried it back to back today.  I'm afraid now cause the last time I took it within 30 minutes it was like 142, 92, 113.  I don't know if this is anxiety or should i go to the hospitial.  I don't know if anxiety can cause BP this high while just at home, but i can't seem to calm down and I don't know why.

1 hour ago, William said:

So I have this at home blood pressure monitor, and my dr said to check it once per day.  Yesterday it was a little high, and today it was 138,92,88, and then it just started to go higher each time I tried it back to back today.  I'm afraid now cause the last time I took it within 30 minutes it was like 142, 92, 113.  I don't know if this is anxiety or should i go to the hospitial.  I don't know if anxiety can cause BP this high while just at home, but i can't seem to calm down and I don't know why.

Part of the numbers going high is you stressing yourself out.  Anxiety can raise blood pressure.

The 138 and 142, assuming those are the higher numbers are a concern.  That number should be around 110.  

The lower number (diastolic) of 100 would be in the level 1 hypertension category.  90-100 is borderline.  Optimally, you want the lower number below 90.

7 minutes ago, Ironman said:

Part of the numbers going high is you stressing yourself out.  Anxiety can raise blood pressure.

The 138 and 142, assuming those are the higher numbers are a concern.  That number should be around 110.  

The lower number (diastolic) of 100 would be in the level 1 hypertension category.  90-100 is borderline.  Optimally, you want the lower number below 90.

Yeah, those are the higher numbers and I'm scared because of that.  All the numbers are high, and I don't know why they are, I can't get calm for some reason.   I'll get the meds sometime today, hopefully they work. 

1 minute ago, William said:

Yeah, those are the higher numbers and I'm scared because of that.  All the numbers are high, and I don't know why they are, I can't get calm for some reason.   I'll get the meds sometime today, hopefully they work. 

It is likely your anticipatory situation.  Anxiety is also subliminal.  Worrying on top of that is stressing you out.  I would also walk around a bit to destress - work out the nerves.

Use the nerves as motivation and get the meds.  All they are is a "super potassium" tablet targeting the blood pressure.  It's actually pretty neat the way the meds work.  I kept having a lower number of 90-95, and it took it down to around 80.

Okay I just did it again just now and now its 138, 84, 111.  I guess it is anxiety and nothing serious if it went down like that without an hour?  I'm still getting my blood meds, just waiting on my ride there. 

2 hours ago, Ironman said:

It is likely your anticipatory situation.  Anxiety is also subliminal.  Worrying on top of that is stressing you out.  I would also walk around a bit to destress - work out the nerves.

Use the nerves as motivation and get the meds.  All they are is a "super potassium" tablet targeting the blood pressure.  It's actually pretty neat the way the meds work.  I kept having a lower number of 90-95, and it took it down to around 80.

Okay I just did it again just now and now its 138, 84, 111.  I guess it is anxiety and nothing serious if it went down like that without an hour?  I'm still getting my blood meds, just waiting on my ride there. 

38 minutes ago, William said:

You have to keep reminding yourself that you are going to be okay.  Those numbers, although elevated, are not catastrophic.  

You will actually feel a bit calmer - not as riled up with the meds.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2022 at 4:29 PM, William said:

I’m glad you are getting your meds. When I started medication my blood pressure was 183/ 111, it’s now at 119/ 72. Anxiety will always make your BP higher, as will any movement. When you take your reading, sit with your feet flat on the floor and be still for a few minutes before inflating your cuff. And don’t over check it, you’ll drive yourself crazy! I almost did!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kindra said:

I’m glad you are getting your meds. When I started medication my blood pressure was 183/ 111, it’s now at 119/ 72. Anxiety will always make your BP higher, as will any movement. When you take your reading, sit with your feet flat on the floor and be still for a few minutes before inflating your cuff. And don’t over check it, you’ll drive yourself crazy! I almost did!

Okay thanks, your posts makes me feel a bit better now :D. 183/111 would've driven me insane, and yes I was overchecking like a day ago like a mad man.  Did it like 5 times within the day and scared myself I guess even more.   It doesn't tell me on the bottle how long it takes to work.  I just took one an hour ago, I'm not gonna check my pressure cause I did it when I woke up per doctors orders.  SO the next time I'll check tomorrow morning since I'm supposed to check once a day same tim.

36 minutes ago, William said:

Okay thanks, your posts makes me feel a bit better now :D. 183/111 would've driven me insane, and yes I was overchecking like a day ago like a mad man.  Did it like 5 times within the day and scared myself I guess even more.   It doesn't tell me on the bottle how long it takes to work.  I just took one an hour ago, I'm not gonna check my pressure cause I did it when I woke up per doctors orders.  SO the next time I'll check tomorrow morning since I'm supposed to check once a day same tim.

Make sure you are RELAXED when you take the reading.   The medication should kick in failry quickly.   I had an eye hemorrhage in 2016 and had been to the ER, and an eye doctor.  My BP was generally 120-125/90-92 in the initial days.  They were trying to figure out what was wrong with me - various tests.  I had a urinalysis, seven vials of blood drawn (almost passed out once - sending me to the ER where they just said I was dehydrated), EKG, and CT scan over the span of a week.  I lost the bottom half of the vision in my left eye four different times, and had an opthalmalogist tell me that I had severe macular degeneration and could potentially be blind the rest of my life.  He then sent me across town in July heat and sun with dilated pupils!  On the day of a scheduled angiogram with the retinal doctor, I took two different decongestants - bad move.  My BP was 148/108 - my highest ever and the doctor freaked out saying I may have had a hemorrhagic stroke and sent me to the ER.  He didn't see a retinal tear or detachment, so he said my issues were perplexing.

The only thing they found on me was the elevated BP.....the eye hemorrhage was due to a severe sinus infection from a rogue electric air purifier.  I burst a blood vessel in my eye due to the sinus pressure.  I turned the thing off and within 36 hours, I had no issues but the lingering blood floaters in my eye.  

You might need to look into over-the-counter medications and the impact on blood pressure.  Decongestants for colds are notorious for increasing blood pressure.  

On 10/31/2022 at 2:33 PM, Ironman said:

Make sure you are RELAXED when you take the reading.   The medication should kick in failry quickly.   I had an eye hemorrhage in 2016 and had been to the ER, and an eye doctor.  My BP was generally 120-125/90-92 in the initial days.  They were trying to figure out what was wrong with me - various tests.  I had a urinalysis, seven vials of blood drawn (almost passed out once - sending me to the ER where they just said I was dehydrated), EKG, and CT scan over the span of a week.  I lost the bottom half of the vision in my left eye four different times, and had an opthalmalogist tell me that I had severe macular degeneration and could potentially be blind the rest of my life.  He then sent me across town in July heat and sun with dilated pupils!  On the day of a scheduled angiogram with the retinal doctor, I took two different decongestants - bad move.  My BP was 148/108 - my highest ever and the doctor freaked out saying I may have had a hemorrhagic stroke and sent me to the ER.  He didn't see a retinal tear or detachment, so he said my issues were perplexing.

The only thing they found on me was the elevated BP.....the eye hemorrhage was due to a severe sinus infection from a rogue electric air purifier.  I burst a blood vessel in my eye due to the sinus pressure.  I turned the thing off and within 36 hours, I had no issues but the lingering blood floaters in my eye.  

You might need to look into over-the-counter medications and the impact on blood pressure.  Decongestants for colds are notorious for increasing blood pressure.  

Well this is day 3 of me taking the meds, and I'm still within the 140, 89 range of things when I check my BP in the morning.  I did stop taking halls yesterday because those apparently raise blood pressure especially with overuse.  So i'll see how it goes, for some reason no matter what I do at home my heart starts beating faster after the cuff starts to tighten.  I tried everything I can to calm down before then but nothing works.

15 minutes ago, William said:

Well this is day 3 of me taking the meds, and I'm still within the 140, 89 range of things when I check my BP in the morning.  I did stop taking halls yesterday because those apparently raise blood pressure especially with overuse.  So i'll see how it goes, for some reason no matter what I do at home my heart starts beating faster after the cuff starts to tighten.  I tried everything I can to calm down before then but nothing works.

Stress might still be elevating things.  Keep taking the meds.  I fyou need to destress, walk around for a bit.  Get out the energy.

On 11/2/2022 at 1:35 PM, Ironman said:

Stress might still be elevating things.  Keep taking the meds.  I fyou need to destress, walk around for a bit.  Get out the energy.

Sadly its not going down, i'm still taking the meds, but the average is around 140,88 still daily since taking them.  I never check my BP more than once a day, and I take the meds after I check my BP when I wake up.  For some reason my body just won't calm down.  I don't know what it is, its hard to work out thanks to my head injury so I can't really do that to destress.  

I think I'm just in an impossible situation to win in, I don't even know if the BP meds will ever work but i'll keep taking them.

1 hour ago, William said:

Sadly its not going down, i'm still taking the meds, but the average is around 140,88 still daily since taking them.  I never check my BP more than once a day, and I take the meds after I check my BP when I wake up.  For some reason my body just won't calm down.  I don't know what it is, its hard to work out thanks to my head injury so I can't really do that to destress.  

I think I'm just in an impossible situation to win in, I don't even know if the BP meds will ever work but i'll keep taking them.

It's not impossible.  Just walking would be exercise.  Remember, right after you wake up, you are technically in a panic state.  It's a panic attack that wakes you up.

If there is still a problem, contact your doctor.