Sign in to follow this  
Christy67

Rheumatoid arthritis fears

I’m terrified I have Rheumatoid arthritis. I’ve been in occupational therapy for elbow and wrist problems and it never really resolved. Recently I broke my toe and in addition to that I started developing a lot of pain in my hands and wrists joints again .
Oddly I read that breaking a bone can increase your chances of it. But here’s the kicker my mom was just recently diagnosed with it at 80 and it’s hereditary. 

Anyone just get wrist and hand pain from being on phone and computer? Looking for any explanation because I am convinced I have this autoimmune disease.

22 minutes ago, Christy67 said:

I’m terrified I have Rheumatoid arthritis. I’ve been in occupational therapy for elbow and wrist problems and it never really resolved. Recently I broke my toe and in addition to that I started developing a lot of pain in my hands and wrists joints again .
Oddly I read that breaking a bone can increase your chances of it. But here’s the kicker my mom was just recently diagnosed with it at 80 and it’s hereditary. 

Anyone just get wrist and hand pain from being on phone and computer? Looking for any explanation because I am convinced I have this autoimmune disease.

I get it from the computer if I am on too long - pre-Carpal tunnel, though.  You could have something like that.

It would be quite a stretch to have RA so quickly, especially after your wrists get sore and your mother is diagnosed.  Coincidence?

I would at the very least try to reproduce the exercises your therapist was doing with you to see if you can get some movement into the wrists.

Ironman, I’ve been mess lately. Worried about crazy incision on my face and then fractured my foot.

I’ve had the hand and wrist  stuff on and off for over a year. But my mom diagnosis and recent emergence of symptoms has send me in tailspin .

2 minutes ago, Christy67 said:

Ironman, I’ve been mess lately. Worried about crazy incision on my face and then fractured my foot.

I’ve had the hand and wrist  stuff on and off for over a year. But my mom diagnosis and recent emergence of symptoms has send me in tailspin .

I think her diagnosis triggered the anxiety.  RA just doesn't appear.

My stepmother had Carpal Tunnel surgery on her wrist and years later her hand still goes numb while using the phone.  She tells me while we are talking and she has to shake her hand to wake it up.

I do think that that RA issue is just a way you are scaring yourself, though.  The question is why is it bothering you?  

I can offer you some hope. I was diagnosed with RA 32 years ago. Today there are so many options that didn't exist years ago. I know it's a scary diagnosis...I was quite young when I was diagnosed...but to give you some hope for you and your mom, if you saw me today, you'd have no clue....and I had it really, really, really bad at one time. The protocol mentioned at the following website: www.roadback(dot)org put me in "remission." (technical remission so long as I stay on the meds and keep stress down - my blood work proves it AND the meds listed are recognized by the American College of Rheumatology). The meds have fallen out of favor with all the new meds out these days...but I chose my own path for my own reasons and for me it was the right choice. Your takeaway from this is not that I think you have RA - instead, take it as follows....your mom has it and to that I say, there are so so so so so so many options that you can discuss with her and her doctors. It's not as bad as you think - esp today with the old meds (like I'm taking) and the new meds that have been recently developed. I'm sure your doctor is also very positive and hopeful...because they should be.

Now as for hand and wrist pain from the computer - welcome to the new computer age. Ergonomics and breaks will help It's natural and expected. I don't think we were designed to sit at a computer all day moving only our fingers. LoL! AND...I think it probably happens to most everyone. 

You got this...hang in there...we're here for you.

• Like 1

Thank you. It turns out  my RA factor was negative but ANA is slightly positive so I’m freaking out it’s another scary autoimmune. I see rheumatologist tomorrow. I’m terrified. 

glad to hear you’re doing great. That’s inspiringly