Sign in to follow this  
Veryscary

Low WBC - Anyone Experienced?

My blood work last week was normal except low Wbc - 3.2 and the cutoff was 3.4. Absolute neutrophils were 1.8 above the 1.4 cutoff and lymphs etc were all normal.

I was 5.6 in October - but back in 2014 and 2015, I was in that 3.1/3.2 range. 

What could be going on here? Is 3.2 my normal and October was a fluke? I did have a painful lymph node go up that day which later went away.

Fwiw I also am black female. Has anyone had low Wbc?? What was the outcome.

I also had ultrasound for fibroids, pap and mammogram so I'm an entire basketcase right now waiting to be told what's up.  I'm scared not of having to do more testing but of having to spend months in a "wait and see" state. I hate that so so much. 

That's not a very low count.. blood count numbers can change all the time and mean nothing. I never look at my numbers. I let my Dr explain it to me. What did your Dr say? 

Pap should be a week result wait but the ultrasound and mammogram should be within a few days. You can call and ask for your ultrasound results. 

I

Well unfortunately the stupid guy at the front desk told me my wbc was low so that set me off. My doctor, who I'm seeing this morning, might never have said anything at all since there's evidence this is my normal. 

@Holls I just want to feel ok. I've started back on a low dose of Zoloft but I'm just so tired of this stuff and if he wants me to do repeat testing I'm just not sure I can bear it.

Update: My doctor said his gut feeling is my number is due to ethnicity. He said he has sent a hundred people to hematology with slightly low Wbc just to learn the issue is ethnicity and lab cutoffs. He said well you seem nervous, would you feel better if we did another draw? So I left with paperwork for that but I'm not sure how to proceed because that wasn't his "first mind" - it was clearly about making me feel better.

I had already put in a record request for old labs (maybe 2014 and 2015) that had similar numbers; I figure if I can show a trend this may be important.

My thought is when I get them to either take those back to him and see if he thinks a blood draw is necessary or just go directly to a hematologist with them and see what their opinion is.

I do NOT want to go down some dark hole of repeated testing just to prove what may be apparent to the trained mind: That this is just my normal.

I also have the option to do nothing and just trust his first mind since he has seen this a bunch of times. That's the hardest option.

Am I doing the right thing?

I should add that my partner is a PCP (I take GREAT pains to keep her uninvolved with my health stuff) She says if there was a problem causing low Wbc five years ago, that problem would have manifested itself a long time ago. So I'm left with the very real possibility that I am barking up a tree for no reason at all and that simply having a record of those numbers may be enough to stand down.

I think it's smart of you to slow down and think before you started testing! I would order those past results and take them to your Dr. I agree, he was giving the test as an option Bec he is trying to ease your worries. I hate when Drs do that Bec it really ends up causing more worries. 😣 Hugs. You are on the right track! That's a huge deal for people with health anxiety to realize they don't need a test.