Panic_Surfer

Metallic/sour taste in mouth for weeks

Hello, 

For the past six weeks, I've had a constant metallic/bitter/soapy taste in my mouth that varies in severity from mild to absolutely intolerable. After having it for about three weeks, it went away for a few days, then came back, and has now been constant, day and night, for about a month. 

It started suddenly one evening when I was having dinner. A copper/bloody taste felt like it came up from the back of my throat and coated my tongue. I thought I had bit my lip or something, and it really freaked me out. Ever since then, it's there constantly, and seems to get worse throughout the day - by the time evening rolls around, it tastes like I have a bar of soap in my mouth. Oddly, this hasn't really impacted the taste of food or drink - in fact, because food and drink tastes normal, I've been over eating as a kind of escape. Every day I have to use so many mints to mask the taste that it makes me nauseous. 

I saw my GP about it, and she put me on a round of steroids which did nothing. I went to the dentist a few weeks ago, and it's definitely not a dental problem. I have no fillings. I have an appointment with my ENT in a week. I take gabapentin and lorazepam daily - my GP said it is very rare for either of these medications to cause a metallic taste. I have absolutely hideous anxiety, and I've had a metallic taste during panic attacks before, but it never lingered 24/7 like this. It's there even when I wake up to get a drink of water in the early morning. 

Needless to say, it's driving me insane with worry, as well as just being annoying - I'm afraid something is wrong with my kidneys/liver/who knows. I'm a healthy (as far as I know) 25/m. I've had problems with heavy drinking before, but not recently. 6ft, ~190. 

I've had issues with GERD the last two years, but quite mild - burping, some mild heartburn here and there, etc. There have been no changes in these symptoms before or after the onset of this horrible taste. 

Has anybody else experienced this? I'm at a loss. It's had a huge negative impact on my life. I called into work two days last week, and have been sleeping 10-12 hours every night just because I can't stand it anymore. Help!

I had something similar happen to me in the spring.  If you look into my account you can find my post.  Turns out I needed a deep cleaning on my teeth.  Like my gums were inflamed and I had no idea.  AFter that everything was so much better and things even tasted different.  Maybe see a dentist.

Hello,

Panic_Surfer, have you finally found any treatment about the bitter taste symptoms? I think that I can help by comparing our symptoms and by refering some observations that I have made throughout the last years.

On 9/29/2017 at 7:08 PM, Panic_Surfer said:

Hello, 

For the past six weeks, I've had a constant metallic/bitter/soapy taste in my mouth that varies in severity from mild to absolutely intolerable. After having it for about three weeks, it went away for a few days, then came back, and has now been constant, day and night, for about a month. 

It started suddenly one evening when I was having dinner. A copper/bloody taste felt like it came up from the back of my throat and coated my tongue. I thought I had bit my lip or something, and it really freaked me out. Ever since then, it's there constantly, and seems to get worse throughout the day - by the time evening rolls around, it tastes like I have a bar of soap in my mouth. Oddly, this hasn't really impacted the taste of food or drink - in fact, because food and drink tastes normal, I've been over eating as a kind of escape. Every day I have to use so many mints to mask the taste that it makes me nauseous. 

I saw my GP about it, and she put me on a round of steroids which did nothing. I went to the dentist a few weeks ago, and it's definitely not a dental problem. I have no fillings. I have an appointment with my ENT in a week. I take gabapentin and lorazepam daily - my GP said it is very rare for either of these medications to cause a metallic taste. I have absolutely hideous anxiety, and I've had a metallic taste during panic attacks before, but it never lingered 24/7 like this. It's there even when I wake up to get a drink of water in the early morning. 

Needless to say, it's driving me insane with worry, as well as just being annoying - I'm afraid something is wrong with my kidneys/liver/who knows. I'm a healthy (as far as I know) 25/m. I've had problems with heavy drinking before, but not recently. 6ft, ~190. 

I've had issues with GERD the last two years, but quite mild - burping, some mild heartburn here and there, etc. There have been no changes in these symptoms before or after the onset of this horrible taste. 

Has anybody else experienced this? I'm at a loss. It's had a huge negative impact on my life. I called into work two days last week, and have been sleeping 10-12 hours every night just because I can't stand it anymore. Help!

On 9/29/2017 at 7:08 PM, Panic_Surfer said:

Hello, 

Hello,

Panic_Surfer, have you finally found any treatment about the bitter taste symptoms? I think that I can help by comparing our symptoms and by refering some observations that I have made throughout the last years.

On 2/6/2019 at 2:40 AM, Katerina1989 said:

Hello,

Panic_Surfer, have you finally found any treatment about the bitter taste symptoms? I think that I can help by comparing our symptoms and by refering some observations that I have made throughout the last years.

Im dealing with the exact same thing!!  Been to the er try to explain what i was feeling they had no idea. Please help! If you have any clues!! Or found out what was causing it.

I was on lorazepam before, I was switched to clonazepam somewhat recently, and I would occasionally have odd tastes in my mouth as well. Although it is rare for both medications you’re on to cause that side affect, both can, and considering you’re on both that could be why it’s so bad tasting. They help each other cause the side affect, in a way, if that makes sense. Acid reflux doesn’t help, either, though. Wait to see what your ENT says, sometimes blocked sinuses can also effect taste, but I’m sure you’ll be okay :) I hope you feel better soon. 

On 4/16/2019 at 1:27 PM, Selfinflicted85 said:

Im dealing with the exact same thing!!  Been to the er try to explain what i was feeling they had no idea. Please help! If you have any clues!! Or found out what was causing it.

How much time so far do you deal with this symptom? Any particular  observation when it was first appeared? Any connection? I have made an association with the following:

- consumption of products of milk( cheese, yoghurt, cream)

- sinunitis

- consumption of nuts or of any product that can include traces of nuts.

- GERD.

Other given facts of mine (but it's undentified if they play a role to the bitter taste syndrome): cavernoma, liver hemagioma, hashimoto thyroiditis.

Anything in common?