Sign in to follow this  
deecee

Art Therapy, Does It Help You?

Some days when I can't get past my depression, the only thing that relieves me is some form of creativity. Whether it is sketching a landscape, writing a poem, or working on a quilt top, I can focus on the project when I can't focus on anything else.

What type of art do you find therapeutic?

I've been doing art, writing poems, just anything to keep my mind off of the symptoms. When I'm really stressed, I just seclude myself in a room, and I try to draw something that relates to what I'm feeling. Sometimes they're happy drawings, when I remembered what it was like before I had panic and anxiety. Then there are the bad drawings of torment and inner demons. Writing poetry helps me to paint a picture with words, to someone who may not understand what I'm going through. It's so relaxing to be away from the stress and anxiety, even if it's just for a moment.

I used to be HUGE into journaling. It didn't matter what I was writing, whether it was ranting about my day in old fashioned journal-nature, or jotting down lists or poems or whatever. It was my "go-to" activity any time I had the chance and was a huge relief. I actually miss it a lot these days and will sometimes write myself an email to get the same sort of effect. It's not as good but it does sometimes help.

Music! Not just writing it, but performing it. It is definitely therapeutic to write out all my frustrations into a song, but performing is even better. By singing and rocking out to what was inspired by the difficulties in my life, it feels like I'm working through them (really, I go into my own little trance on stage, and am much happier by the end). That's really the only therapy that's ever worked for me: singing loudly and angry at total strangers!

Art Therapy is a proven method for dealing with mental health problems. Art Therapy classes are organised at all psychiatric hospitals. Many people struggle to express their feelings verbally, art is a good way for communicating how we feel. In the past I used writing to get things off my chest, it helped a lot.

I have noticed it helps me too. I'm into digital art and arranging kinds of scrap booking things, so it is still a form of art, no?

I have noticed it helps me too. I'm into digital art and arranging kinds of scrap booking things, so it is still a form of art, no?

It is art. I prefer the act of using my hands to draw and express my feelings but everyone is different. Keep doing it if it works for you. What kind of things do you arrange and which programme do you use to do it?

Pottery painting is very relaxing and stress releasing for me. When I have pottery painting sessions I always zone out and just relax while I'm there.