SEA81

Counting Syllables

I do that too. I always take two or three letters of words until I run out of letters, and then I get upset when the number isn't even. I thought I was the only one who does this.. I also have a therapist but I have no idea how to tell her about it. 

Haha! Nice though. I was recently helping my son in doing his homework and what I noticed was he was actually counting syllables . I found it pretty weird. He was diagnosed with OCD earlier this year. My husband is military and couldn't have the leverage to meet my son often. My doctor told me to expand the family which would be great for my son but I don't think I can conceive now. I had 2 miscarriages before and now it would be a threat to my life if I get pregnant. (as per my doctor's opinion) Anyway, I know how distressing the feeling is. Apparently the people with ocd look good but no one knows what's boiling inside of them. My son is facing many hurdles but I know his future is so bright and blazing. The bully at school is definitely going to make him a strong man one day. I've seen many people even famous people with ocd and they are living their best lives. A few in this list   https://mangoclinic.com/a-surprising-list-of-famous-people-with-ocd/ . I'm thankful to god for blessing me with the apple of my eye. And I know one day my son would be among these famous people! 

Thanks for sharing your story with us! 
Merry Christmas! ❤️

• Like 1

Just found this forum and I do the same, counting syllables, letters, song words, adding figures over and over.  My twist is I count with my jaws/teeth (not on my fingers) using the formats on dice (particularly the 5) to make things fit into patterns.  I was up most of last night adding things to add up to $125.  Never l knew others did this same crazy thing.  OCD - who would have guessed it?

I used to have to count corners and clench my jaw with each number when I was 7 or 8.   Now I'm 35, and I have to sound out syllables from tv, songs, conversations, everything, while moving my fingers and toes like I'm playing piano. I notice it's been getting increasingly worse the older I get, more frequent.  

I was hoping it was tardive diskonesia, but from the rest of these posts, I'm guessing it's OCD?

I also count things often. Syllables in words, especially. I also count things in groups of six, and frequently re-read the last six words of a sentence or paragraph. LoL. Weird, I know, but I do it all the time. It doesn't hinder my ability to comprehend what I read, it's almost second nature at this point. Oh well.