I have had anxiety since 2011. I have had trouble swallowing for a month. I was eating a burger with beef slices and I was just eating like normal, when I felt it slide slowly down my throat and was stuck halfway down, I chugged water and it went down easily. I had this ever since then happen with every food except liquids or foods like pudding, but a week later as food stopped halfway down it would be painful to swallow it down. I don't know what to do. I feel crazy. I have had a barium swallow study and the results were normal. I had an aunt have a thyroglossal duct cyst and it was never visible, she had the same symptoms as me and told me to get an ultrasound of my throat. My doctor declined and they sent me for the Barium Swallow study. I feel like everyone is labeling me as crazy because they know I have anxiety. I don't always have pain as I swallow food but it is always getting stuck. I just want an ultrasound of my throat since my aunts thyroglossal duct cyst did not show up on barium swallow study, she keeps pushing me to get an ultrasound, but steroids, increased GERD meds, inhalers, smaller bites, etc don't help. I literally have to drink 16-32 ounces of water per meal. I am losing my sanity and questioning my sanity.I just don't know what to do or how to tell my doctor to do more testing, for I hate having the Charlie horse pain as I swallow and I hate having everything get stuck halfway down. I know its not my anxiety.  

Another thing that it could be is overactive thyroid, which is pretty common. I have that and choking/swallowing problems was one of my first symptoms. Have they taken blood or other more basic labs before they did the barium swallow?

4 hours ago, SavPierce said:

Another thing that it could be is overactive thyroid, which is pretty common. I have that and choking/swallowing problems was one of my first symptoms. Have they taken blood or other more basic labs before they did the barium swallow?

I have had hypothyroidism for the past 8 years, it has been treated for the last 5 years. I am on the correct dose of meds for my hypothyroidism. I get my thyroid tested often. This trouble swallowing started out of the blue and even to drink water half the time is painful. Its like something is in the way. I only appear to have no problems because I don't quickly reach for my water anymore because I am used to the "food stuck in throat" feeling. My family is supportive and gives me soft foods like pudding, but I have to eat normal foods because they have more calories, but they all get stuck. And then to get them down with water is painful. My aunt had a thyroglossal duct cyst and it was never visible, same symptoms as me, she wants me to get an ultrasound of my throat but my doc won't do it.