Cb1993

Probably a brain tumor

Hello everyone, I am mostly positive I have some kind of brain tumor or mass. I was on an als loop before that but I have realized with my symptoms it's probably a brain tumor. The biggest thing I am noticing is that I am sensitive to light or at least I think I am. When I look at things like Christmas lights or street lights they have a glare around them and I can't remember if lights have always looked that way or if this is new. Looking at the sky even when it's not that bright is hard. My new eye dr was worried in about June that I have swollen optic nerves which is a huge sign. However the catch is that I have always had swollen optic nerves even when I was younger and they did an MRI about 10 years ago and said I was fine. I had a cat scan in June and my primary care dr said it looked fine and not to worry to get a new eye dr who won't scare me. But what if it's my primary care dr who is the one that is wrong?

some other symptoms have been possible numbness, muscle weakness, being tired, just feeling generally off and maybe sometimes dizzy. The hard part is I can't tell if the symptoms are real or fake. Ive convinced myself again that I don't have long to live and I look at everything as the last time I might see it. 

Im so bummed that I am going back through this. The worst thing is I can't tell the difference anymore between real and fake, should I be worried or is it in my head. Do I just go to another dr and another until finally one tells me it's a tumor? 

Gosh we are nuts sometimes guys but I love you all ?

NO! You do not have a brain tumor. Nothing you've described indicates it. Now, with that being said, if you have a constant feeling of "the worst headache of your life", slurred speech, and feeling faint, then that is a different story. Your fine. 

Hey,

Sorry you're going through this right now. I too went on a "brain tumor" kick for several months when I was younger. Even now as I'm studying neuropsychology, I feel the urge to ascribe neurologic symptoms to heinous causes. 

Brain tumors are frequently associated with severe, consistent (nearly every day) headaches which do not lapse easily. They begin immediately upon awakening and are often resistant to over-the-counter medication with respect to pain. This would be just an associated, not confirmed marker, of possible herniation due to a foreign brain mass.

Many of the other symptoms associated with tumors are not well defined. These symptoms you describe are not frequently found in most texts regarding tumors. A lot of what might occur depends on the location of the mass, and thus there is rarely a list of commonly occurring symptoms (other than chronic "upon awakening" headaches). Additionally, the neurologic markers you describe are inconsistent and not sensitive or specific to a given diagnosis. Light sensitivity, for example, could be associated with a whole host of neural (e.g., migraines, cluster headaches) as well as psychogenic etiologies (e.g., anxiety and panic disorder, as well as higher levels of distress, are linked with transient experiences of light aversion). 

These other symptoms you describe are likewise part of the criteria for nearly every general health or mental health category out there (e.g., muscle weakness, numbness, fatigue). Even symptoms such as difficulty concentrating, these are so commonly ascribed falsely to medical conditions when they often are due to psychological factors (e.g., depressive mood episode, manic episode, PTSD).

As hard as is it is to convince yourself, realize that much of these problems you describe are not only common but are not at all convincingly associated with something as serious as a brain tumor. Sometimes the rule of Occam's Razor can be applied safely- the simplest explanation is the right one. You seem to be under a lot of distress, which will only amplify not only the experience but your attention to these problems. 

Hang in there, it'll pass.

brad 

On 12/29/2016 at 7:24 PM, Cb1993 said:

Hello everyone, I am mostly positive I have some kind of brain tumor or mass. I was on an als loop before that but I have realized with my symptoms it's probably a brain tumor. The biggest thing I am noticing is that I am sensitive to light or at least I think I am. When I look at things like Christmas lights or street lights they have a glare around them and I can't remember if lights have always looked that way or if this is new. Looking at the sky even when it's not that bright is hard. My new eye dr was worried in about June that I have swollen optic nerves which is a huge sign. However the catch is that I have always had swollen optic nerves even when I was younger and they did an MRI about 10 years ago and said I was fine. I had a cat scan in June and my primary care dr said it looked fine and not to worry to get a new eye dr who won't scare me. But what if it's my primary care dr who is the one that is wrong?

some other symptoms have been possible numbness, muscle weakness, being tired, just feeling generally off and maybe sometimes dizzy. The hard part is I can't tell if the symptoms are real or fake. Ive convinced myself again that I don't have long to live and I look at everything as the last time I might see it. 

Im so bummed that I am going back through this. The worst thing is I can't tell the difference anymore between real and fake, should I be worried or is it in my head. Do I just go to another dr and another until finally one tells me it's a tumor? 

Gosh we are nuts sometimes guys but I love you all ?

I'm sorry that sounds terrible. On a loop like that I know there isn't much that any of us can say to convince you that you don't have a tumor BUT I can try anyways :)

I see a weird glow around Christmas lights and am a little light sensitive. I don't know if you have colored eyes but my my eye doctor said that my sensitivity comes from having light colored eyes and the lack of pigment diminishes the amount of protection from light. I would definitely recommend a second opinion from another eye doc. 

The feeling between real and fake sounds to me like derealization which I got back when my GAD was out of control. I literally couldn't get out of my own head I was living internally with my thoughts and it made everything external seem fake. I read a book, I think it was called the Power of Now, it really helped.

I hope you feel better.

Anxiety sufferers are sensitive to light. Our nerves are in such a high state all the time, we are more sensitive to sound, smell and sight , including light.