Sign in to follow this  
blackcapped

A General Discussion of Yoga

In the past year, I have been a regular attendent of a yoga class. I am even considering attempting to obtain my certification.

What is your opinion of yoga?

Have you ever tried it? Would you like to? Is yoga only for a specific type of person? Is it a waste of time at the gym? What are your apprehensions concerning yoga? Are you a regular member of a yoga class? Do you practice at home?

I have been amazed and shocked by the different mindsets surrounding the practice of yoga, and I would love to know your feelings about it. Personally, I only do yoga for the physical benefits and to meet other people. I do not practice yoga for any type of spiritual reason, nor have I fulyl grasped the concept of meditation.

My brother used yoga to rehabillitate a back injury. I used to think yoga was for women, but he pursuaded me to try some yoga exercises and I have been doing yoga ever since. It has improved my flexibility and I'm sure it has made me feel more calm.

I started doing yoga recently after I stopped being able to do deadlifts because of back issues, its great for hip flexibility too so that means I can squat deeper. Hurting my back was a blessing in disguise.

I really, really want to get into yoga.  Ive tried the Beachbody workouts for yoga, but never actually took a class at a studio (too scared of people).  It is one of my goals in the next few months to get going.  I have kind of always dreamed of being a yoga teacher (silly, I know, because I haven't even taken it that much! lol)  but I am really overweight at the present time so its a far reach for me. 

Hatha Yoga is fine for body issues, but it seems a shame to me that only the physical side is used when the spiritual side has so much to teach us. It is not a religious concept in the general meaning of the word, and could be described as philosophical, but very helpful in everyday living. The Yoga question 'Who are you?' has so much meaning and the answers you get help a lot in finding the reasons for anxiety.     Jon.

Yoga is great!  There are so many different types of practices out there that everyone can find something that suits them.  Plus there are so many ways of adapting the moves and poses so, again, anyone can benefit and in any given class there can be a variety of experience and fitness levels all sharing the same space and intention.

I am also not heavily into the spiritual side of yoga.  But in this respect also there are so many ways to interpret a practice and make it your own.  While I do not subscribe to some of the philosophies of some serious yogis (I was in a class once where the teacher was chanting over some crystals) I appreciate the opportunity to slow down and practice mindfulness and discipline.

The old expression 'Horses for Courses' comes to mind. I believe that if someone gets relief by standing on their head in a dark room then fine for them. Crystals are supposed to emit radiation that helps in some illnesses. I don't subscribe to that, but who am I to say it is not helpful if it gives mental relief to many. I agree; some so called 'mystics' go over the top but the basic spiritual side of Yoga has a lot to offer in anxiety especially the mindfulness bit. Concentrating on the 'now'; the only place we can really live in is so useful. It rules out anticipation. The past is dead; tomorrow is yet to come; live now, hour by hour and enjoy. Well, as much as you can!    Jon.