Sign in to follow this  
brit

Unsure if I should take medication

I have mostly overcome most of my anxieties on my own without the help of any medication. I rarely have panic attacks anymore, and I've noticed I'm less anxious than I used to be. But I still struggle with social anxiety a lot.

I've heard of the medications Propranolol and Atenolol and I heard they help a lot with social anxiety. I was wondering if anyone here has taken either of these and if they helped them? I wouldn't be taking these daily, only when I'm about to do a presentation or something of the sort. I'm just scared of the side effects, I've always been scared of medication. But I really feel like it could help me. I'm going to talk to my doctor about it, but for now does anyone know how well these work? And did you get any bad side effects or problems from them? 

hello brit,

just a quick reply for you asking about propranolol.......i have been taking it for 20 years on and off when i felt i needed something to just take the edge off if i had to go somewhere where i might feel anxious.......large groups of people or somewhere un familiar to me to know where the exits are.......it has been fine to take for me and doesnt have any side effects.......i am a bit like you also i have a problem with taking meds.......my doctor has tried over the years to try and get me moved onto something else......but i feel okay taking propranolol so i will stick to what works for me personally..........you should at least try them and see how you do......i suffer from g.a.d. health anxiety and argoraphobia........and thats all i have taken for years when i cant cope too good. ......happy thoughts and best wishes. x

I take  Propranolol.  It helps me.  Only side effect is it makes me a little light headed, but to me it's still worth it.  But that could be because I also take other meds.  I think it's worth a try.