Sign in to follow this  
KimD

Having a huge panic attack right now

I'm scouring the internet looking for some help. 

3 years ago I had a major panic attack that lasted 2 weeks, then it took the whole summer to get over. This morning when I woke up, the air felt the same and it reminded me of that time. So I'm freaking out, thinking of that horrible time and I don't want that to happen to me again. 

I'm not sure if this is the proper forum, but I'm just looking for some help. I'm trying to get through the work day and I don't want to go home and just sleep because it will be worse. My fiance tried to help but I don't want to associate these feelings with him and our home life again, he was very supportive last time, but it took a lot out of us. 

I just don't understand why this is happening again, the anxiety is bringing back so many feelings I have worked so hard to get past. I just don't know what to do right now. 

Hi Kim. Welcome to the AC Forum. My goodness yes, this is the proper Forum. It is all about anxiety and fear and everyone speaks from experiences so you are in good hands. Panic can strike at any time. Something has 'triggered' it and caused it to reappear.  If you had it 3 years ago what did you do to recover? If you had some therapy or just meds then it may work again. The main thing is to try not fight your way out of it. Panic attacks do take time to recover from. You are like a big bell that has been rung. The vibrations take time to die down, but they will eventually

However, as you have had it before I suggest a long term recovery programme that may help as it has many others. If you look under RESOURCES you will find a write up on the work of Dr. Claire Weekes. She was an authority on agoraphobia and her last book "Essential help for your Nerves" is still a best seller. Well worth getting and it is not expensive. She advocates acceptance. That is to say go with it. No fighting or struggling to get rid of 'IT'. When you panic you panic because you are panicking. See what I mean? You are afraid of your own thoughts and feelings. Who wouldn't be.

But the fear thus engendered creates more fear and the cycle goes on. Fear/adrenaline/fear. It may not be a good idea to 'bottle it up' and try and keep it from your fiancé. If those near to us are told what is happening they can often help a lot. Take it easy. You are among friends here so come back and have a go whenever you wish. We understand.     Jon.

Kim, welcome :)

Yes, your brain remembers all the details of that bad summer and something today triggered that again and so your brain is going overboard wanting to avoid that painful time. But you made it through that painful time. So try to focus on that aspect of it iinstead of the bad time. You made it through a very anxious period in your life and you're still standing. So maybe if you can try to see yourself as the winner , it might be easier :) 

Been there....Happening right now...The shakes, the thoughts, breathe....Its scary...