Sign in to follow this  
pjg10

health anxiety brain tumor--could use some advice/reassurances

Hi everyone,

First post for me, but have struggled with anxiety for much of my life. Over the past month I have been experiencing tension-like headaches. They tend to come and go, but really something I have dealt with in the past. I am under some high stressors (working on completing a dissertation, wife pregnant but also ill, excited about the birth of our first child but also anxiety provoking). 

At any rate, what has been different about my symptoms this go round is that i have been feeling light-headed (the best way I can describe it). The room isn't spinning and i'm not losing my balance or anything, but my head just doesn't feel right--I feel spaced out and almost as if I have been drinking alcohol (when I haven't been). 

I have been online and read stories about people just, "not feeling right" and going to their ER only to discover that they have a horrible illness. I have been battling with whether I should go to the hospital or not. I have in the past for different conditions and of course they make me feel better, but obviously only in the short term. Then again, what if this is that one time where I am right and need to go to the hospital. 

This has been a struggle and has made life tough. All I want to do is sleep because I don't worry (plus my head sensation decreases). Thanks for reading my concerns, and any input or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

P

But most people who go to the ER find out they have nothing wrong. I'd suggest you google ( yes just this once you can google ) depersonalization and derealization  . They are symptoms of anxiety and sound exactly like what you have described. As for the tension headaches, get a massage. If you're constantly tense your neck and shoulders are sitting really TIGHT compared to how they should and headaches would be very common. You and your wife should get one. Pregnant women loves massages and its' great for circulation. 

The swimmy , dreamlike , light headed is almost certainly DP or DR . Look them up and you 'll feel much better knowing so many people have them. The more acute your anxiety is, the worse they are but when you are low or no anx, they are mostly non existent. 

When my anx.was at its height a few years ago, I often experienced that when driving. UGH! 

You should REALLY REALLY read this list of all the anxiety symptoms. You 'll be amazed how many things you thought were 

bizarre are actually common with anxiety. You 'll feel relief ! 

Hi pjg, welcome to AC :) Some good advice from joy there. I know I have felt the same symptoms, always when I'm stressed or overly tired. Maybe you could get a check up with your doctor? Just to put your mind at ease. I have been there and done that with BT, as well as many other scary diseases, didn't have any of them! The BT fear was finally put to rest when I met someone who's brother suffered from one. They told me they had the fear after their brother was diagnosed, and was thoroughly checked out and told they don't commonly present with headaches, it's usually vision issues, motor skill problems, behavioural problems and such. 

Anxiety makes us very suggestive, don't google symptoms, it just makes you worse, and more panicked. If you are stressed, tired, worrying a lot and suffer from anxiety, you can bet your bottom dollar that is what is causing your symptoms. I do think it would be a good idea to get a full check up though, just so you know physically you are ok, with a baby on the way and so much on your plate it will help to reassure yourself nothing serious is wrong.

Dear Joycicle and Gilly,

Thanks so much for posting. I really appreciate it. You are right, it does sound like DP/DR. I also take benzos and I read this is a symptom of benzos in your system. I still get freaked out thinking about a brain tumor. However, I try to tell myself there would be other symptoms (i.e. seizures, difficulty speaking, etc.)--but then again there could be minimal symptoms. Ugh. 

Appreciate your thoughts.

P