Sign in to follow this  
JOYCICLE

Let's kick its' A$$$$$$$!

This is the let's kick it's ASS thread !  I thought it would be good to challenge ourselves once again. So whatever that thing is or a few of those things that we've been unable/unwilling/unprepared to do, let's write them, discuss them and then do them , with each other's help!  We are ass kickers. That's what we do every day in order to make it through. We can move mountains to just get through a day with mania and panic and yet for some reason we feel " WEAK". We are not weak. When you think of what your day looks like vs. the happy go lucky dude next to you ( grrr@ that happy jerk) , then who REALLY is the stronger? 

One thing I've go to do is a concert for my kid and her friend in early Dec. I've been dreading it because its' clear over in Dallas and I'll have to drive back late at night in the dark :( . I hate driving in the dark. I don't see very well and in spring I took her to a concert in Dallas and we made it back but the drive home was terror filled for real. I kept feeling my car would veer off the road and kill us because my perception of where I was in the lane didn't seem proper.  So that is coming and I will and must and am going to do it.  

Moral to the story is, Panic, you can tell me all day long I cannot do it but I can and I know I can and I'm going to and I'm sure you're going to be telling me dirty secrets in my ear about how we will all day on the road but I'm going anyway !  So stuff it ! 

• Like 2

Yours may be just walking out of your house... going to a shop alone...making an appointment to see a therapist....calling an old friend you've been too nervous to ring up ...... standing up for yourself to a boss or co worker...admitting to someone you have a disorder that you've been too shy to share.  

What do you need to do that you've been putting off because Panic's told you you cannot ?

I wasn't going to read your post because I came home early from work today and am feeling awful, and you were so upbeat. I decided to do so anyway, and I am glad I did.  Don't know if I can follow though feeling like I feel right now, but I have your words in my head.

Thanks

A good idea for a thread Joycicle. This way we can encourage and help each other on the things we are unable, unwilling or unprepared to do.

Joy's upbeat attitude is so infectious, isn't it. Often cheers me up. I woke up this AM feeling a bit blank. Not able to focus properly. Nothing unusual but it goes to show how we can be fooled by our feelings. The visit to my GP went fine on Monday but it does bring up old memories and that, in turn, brings apprehension. So I am going to kick ASS today and see what happens :p . Thanks Joy.   

Today everybody must kick something's A$$!  However small it may seem, it's one step in the right direction. Maybe it's just opening an email you've been avoiding? Making a phone call you've been avoiding ? ( at my worse i could not stand to be on the phone with anyone, even friends or family. i would make it as brief as possible but today brief counts ) Taking a walk ?  Clean out that bag, purse, drawer, car that you've been dreading? Go for a haircut? Apologize to someone ? (  :o  :o  :o ) Maybe you need to bathe yourself? Eat a peanut that you're afraid causes allergies? Go out the front door? Down the street? Into a shop to browse for just 30 seconds?  

I'm going to the dentist today for a quick visit. I had a chunk of stuff ( enamel spackle?) put on my tooth in anticipation of a crown but the chunk has fallen off and my tooth hurts again , so we're going to quickly assess the situation and make a plan b. Not my favorite thing to do but it must be done. 

Everyone kick something's A$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!  

Infectious like herpes...

JOKING! :p Shes awesome Jon, she knows I love her lol I owe her a lot of gratitude, it's like having a personal cheerleader as well as a good friend

OK I did it! :) I walked to the pharmacy, I was a little apprehensive before I set off, remembering the last time and how half way I hit a (metaphorical) wall of cement, ya know how it goes 'what if that happens again' So I gave myself a motivational speech and set off, plugged my earphones in and put the radio app on to listen to music. I was going past that spot before I knew it and hadn't given it any more thought! w00t

As I got to the pharmacy I decided to cross the road and walk even further down to Sainsbury's and get the ingredients to make some cupcakes w00t Just as I did this Katy Perry's ROAR came on the radio, I am a CHAMPION HEAR ME ROAR!!! I got what I wanted, then went to the pharmacy, my chest was tight but I was able to dismiss it as a bit of wind (huge bacon sandwich before leaving was not the best idea! lol) I walked home with a big smile on my face, I enjoyed it, the autumnal weather, the beautiful coloured leaves on the ground in the park and as I was about to turn into our street Kanye Wests 'STRONGER' came on the radio YEAH BABY! 

I really do encourage anyone trying to overcome agoraphobia to listen to uplifting, encouraging music as they walk or drive somewhere, it doesn't matter what it is, be it classical music, heavy metal, rave music, doesn't have to be music, could be audio, comedy or books but let it be something that lifts you and motivates you as you go, it really does help :)

Im now going for a short nap because I'm exhausted lol 

• Like 2

I can imagine, Gilly. My old counsellor, bless him, used to say "Always keep your sense of humour no matter how bad things seem". Not easy but it is one of the biggest helpers. My wife and I have fallen about at times with the downright stupid things I have done or thought. Not really funny at times but a good laugh can relieve a lot of tension in this illness. It may be the 'Joys' of this world that keep us sane :D

Gilly. Just read your last post. FANTASTIC. :D  What an achievement. No one knows except those who have suffered what an effort it can be but you have made it sound so easy. (It's not I know). Now you can go on to greater things. The old saying' nothing succeeds like success' come to mind. Well done.    Jon. 

:D

Thanks Jon, so true because it was hard, challenging the agoraphobia has been the hardest thing I have ever had to do. You need humour, oh you just have to joke about things, if I didn't have a good sense of humour I would be somewhere else right now, probably sat under a bush talking to the worms stark naked or something.

I went to the dentist, discussed my tooth, took my kid to the store and got a starbucks, then got my car inspected and dropped her at school. It was a lot of small errand that needed doing in one day, which is NOT my favorite. I like to break down chores, but they are all down now cuz I am an A$$KICKING ROCK STARRING SUPER B****! 

• Like 1

Blues? What blues? Hey I forgot 'em !!!!!!!! 

Let's forget our problems for the day.

If you're a stickler and won't let go, then just do it for FOUR MINUTES ! 

Just looked out of the window. AUTUMN. Leaves falling. Grey sky. Dark nights then WHAM :tirelanguue:  along comes JOY. Blue seas, boats, sand, palm trees, surfing, etc. What wonders the world has. Thanks Joy.  

And I just smeared hawaiian tropic tanning oil all over my arms because it smells like THE BEACH DAMMIT!  

I say we all find cool, fun, happy , summer time , awesomeness stories from the net today and share here

for a tiny one day vacation from our own brains. Assignment , asskick commences ! 

OMG ! If this kid can do it, we can do it. Don't let panic tell you NO today. Not today !  

" i have my ups and downs, I admit it . But I don't quit and the next day I get right back up and say ' hey ,i can do this'.

He's 13 and we all need his lesson today.  He hasn't walked in 10 yrs and decided he would and he DID. 

He decided he WOULD and he DID ! If anyone thinks their gad/ ocd/ ptsd/ ha / depression is more overwhelming

than a PERMANENT PARALYSIS, please PM me, because you are wrong ! :) 

http://www.ketknbc.com/news/13-year-old-boy-walks-for-the-first-time-for-his-f

• Like 1

Inspiration Joy. It is a strange old business. When people say to us "you are well; you have no physical problems. Some poor souls can't even walk", it should mean something but it never seems to does it?  The difference between that boy and some of us is in his mind. He IS going to do it and he WILL. Anxiety filled minds say "I can't do it and so I won't". Often we don't even try. Not quiting is so important. Whatever form of recovery we may try we musn't quit. That just brings on despair. Perseverence always.        Joy, YOU are an inspiration.    Jon. 

Yes, but when you get up and do it day after day, year after year for decades its mentally exhausting! 

Sorry just know that no matter how strong a positive attitude is towards a physical ailment it can take its toll. I wish that boy all the best in the world, he has got the fighting spirit and that is so important.

Can I imagine a cabin in the snow? And smells of cinnamon and mulled wine? I like all the things that make me feel warm and fuzzy at this time of year. Log fire burning, hot chocolate with marshmallows, bit of Nat King Cole and ol' Bing playing, candles that smell pretty, soaking in a hot bath with bubbles...

ahhhh and relax :)

And gingerbread lattes! (decaf of course) :D

Mouthwatering Gilly. My favourites too. When you talk about physical illness you speak from first hand experience. I am out of my depth on that one as I have not had ongoing physical problems but I can imagine from the short term ones that it must be a real strain mentally. However, what I was saying is that as with that boy he didn't give up. Neither have you although I can imagine you must have been tempted at times. I have seen so many people with mental problems give up in despair when no physical problem is there. But I have also seen those with severe physical problems soldier on regardless. It's our individual makeup that dictates how we behave in certain circumstances.

I was not for one moment playing down physical suffering but you are right, it is the fighting spirit that gets us through but even that, at least with me,  wears a bit thin at times. Best wishes.   Jon.

It's OK Jon, it was more in response to Joys video, I feel for the kid, it's a bit of a sore point to me, from the outside you see a brave strong kid and I know from my own experience you can be as strong and as brave but it is still a horrible thing to live with. My surgeon used to call me his star patient, and tell the other kids on the ward they should be more like me, I didn't complain, I was brave, you never saw Gill crying blah blah, my parents friends used to say aww shes so brave and I'm not keen on people drawing attention to it, I just wanted to be normal and for them to leave me alone. And look what happened to me, my brave card ran out. I hate that kids get sick.