Jessi

Ovarian cancer fears

Recommended Posts

I’m so glad to see this site again!  I swear I had tried to get on it one day a while back and it was gone?  🤷🏼‍♀️
For the last few days I’ve been worried about ovarian cancer.  I’ve had my anxiety in check for the most part but I just had a horrible anxiety attack over this.

my worries started a few days ago after sex and I had bright red blood on toilet paper.  I TRIED to tell myself that it was probably “leftover” from my period that had just stopped, but that usually never happens.  So of course I continued to focus on it. (Did it again a couple days later and no blood)  So then I started noticing that I’m having a bloated type feeling in my lower abdomen.  Plus an achy feeling on the right side.  I felt around on that area just a bit ago and had a very weird spasm/ticklish/slightly painful feeling inside.  THAT sent me into a panic.  
I had a CT scan done in October due to a car accident and it was noted on the results that the ovaries and  uterus were clear.  But that was 6 months ago and I’m worried that something could have grown since then.  I had a dr tell me previously that a CT isn’t the ideal test for gyn issues, they tend to use ultrasounds more.  
Just looking for some reassurance.  I’m 39 so I feel like I’m getting “old” and that cancer is just bound to happen 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It could be uterine fibroids.  I have a few and they cause breakthrough bleeding or it might be your birth control.  I had a obgyn visit scheduled for this past month and with the ‘rona rampaging through I cannot get checked so I am guessing it’s the same for you.  If you have any suspicions looking issues there would have been something on the ct scan.  I had one done last year when they were checking on the fibroids and if there was anything else seriously it saw the poop moving through my colon they would have caught something.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/17/2020 at 3:07 PM, Jessi said:

I’m so glad to see this site again!  I swear I had tried to get on it one day a while back and it was gone?  🤷🏼‍♀️
For the last few days I’ve been worried about ovarian cancer.  I’ve had my anxiety in check for the most part but I just had a horrible anxiety attack over this.

my worries started a few days ago after sex and I had bright red blood on toilet paper.  I TRIED to tell myself that it was probably “leftover” from my period that had just stopped, but that usually never happens.  So of course I continued to focus on it. (Did it again a couple days later and no blood)  So then I started noticing that I’m having a bloated type feeling in my lower abdomen.  Plus an achy feeling on the right side.  I felt around on that area just a bit ago and had a very weird spasm/ticklish/slightly painful feeling inside.  THAT sent me into a panic.  
I had a CT scan done in October due to a car accident and it was noted on the results that the ovaries and  uterus were clear.  But that was 6 months ago and I’m worried that something could have grown since then.  I had a dr tell me previously that a CT isn’t the ideal test for gyn issues, they tend to use ultrasounds more.  
Just looking for some reassurance.  I’m 39 so I feel like I’m getting “old” and that cancer is just bound to happen 

39 is actually very young for ovarian cancer. And 6 months from a CT scan is not a long time. I had bleeding after sex about a yr ago. (I'm 40) my Dr wasn't concerned at all... She said it's absolutely normal. I of course was in a full blown anxiety attack.i also have been to my obgyn several times with cramping issues.. I've had an ultrasound and all is well.. she nicely said, as we age our menstruals will change.. mine is getting rougher and cramping more. I pushed for the ultrasound by the way..  she knew it was okay. I bet you could call your Drs office and talk about this over the phone so you can get some reassurance. It all sounds normal to me. Hugs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi!  I was just popping back on to search through discussions and happened to see I had a reply.  For some reason I didn’t get a notification. 
well I went to the dr and she wasn’t going to give me an ultrasound but knew I was anxious so she scheduled me.  But before that, while she examined me she said my abdomen was soft and she felt my ovaries and said they felt ok

so I went to my ultrasound yesterday morning and just got the results on the portal.  I am very nervous now because this is what it says

The uterus measures 4.8 x 6.0 x 10.5 cm. No uterine fibroids. Endometrium measures 1.8 cm in thickness which is within normal limits. No evidence for ovarian torsion. Slightly complex thick-walled lesions in both ovaries which demonstrate peripheral 
vascularity. These are likely corpus luteum and/or hemorrhagic cyst.

Impression: No fibroids. No ovarian torsion. Probable corpus luteum and/or hemorrhagic cysts in both ovaries. Recommend 12 week follow-up pelvic ultrasound to ensure resolution

 

so I’m googling peripheral vascularity and all I see is the more vascular the lesion the more likely it’s cancer 😩😩 

and if it were JUST a cyst how likely that it would be in both ovaries at the same time?! 
I’m literally a mess and tomorrow is only Sunday so I have to wait another whole day before calling the Dr.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jessi said:

Hi!  I was just popping back on to search through discussions and happened to see I had a reply.  For some reason I didn’t get a notification. 
well I went to the dr and she wasn’t going to give me an ultrasound but knew I was anxious so she scheduled me.  But before that, while she examined me she said my abdomen was soft and she felt my ovaries and said they felt ok

so I went to my ultrasound yesterday morning and just got the results on the portal.  I am very nervous now because this is what it says

The uterus measures 4.8 x 6.0 x 10.5 cm. No uterine fibroids. Endometrium measures 1.8 cm in thickness which is within normal limits. No evidence for ovarian torsion. Slightly complex thick-walled lesions in both ovaries which demonstrate peripheral 
vascularity. These are likely corpus luteum and/or hemorrhagic cyst.

Impression: No fibroids. No ovarian torsion. Probable corpus luteum and/or hemorrhagic cysts in both ovaries. Recommend 12 week follow-up pelvic ultrasound to ensure resolution

 

so I’m googling peripheral vascularity and all I see is the more vascular the lesion the more likely it’s cancer 😩😩 

and if it were JUST a cyst how likely that it would be in both ovaries at the same time?! 
I’m literally a mess and tomorrow is only Sunday so I have to wait another whole day before calling the Dr.  

I think portal results are one of my biggest pet peeves!..we truly don't understand what we are reading, then we Google . I hope I can ease your fears with this: my sister in law worked at an obgyn office as the head nurse. She was the one who called patients with test results. She said that when a result was bad or questionable, the Dr  would call right away and never let it go over the weekend. She said that the Dr even on vacation was to be notified of any abnormal results so she could contact her patient. Your Dr would have called you. Any abnormal results gets presidence. 

My Dr thought I had a cyst and the follow up is absolutely normal. They want to make sure it has taken care of its self or they might have to do surgery. 

Google is the worst. It's always so so wrong. I'm sorry that you saw these results after hours of your Dr office. It's going to be okay. Big hugs. I know how hard anxiety is and how our minds run wild. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you!  That does make sense that they would call for something abnormal. 
I think the word “lesion” scares me too because normally it says “cyst” if they see something.  I’m definitely calling them tomorrow.  Part of me wants to request the blood test to check tumor markers but I don’t want to come across as crazy.  12 weeks is a long time to wait. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Jessi said:

Thank you!  That does make sense that they would call for something abnormal. 
I think the word “lesion” scares me too because normally it says “cyst” if they see something.  I’m definitely calling them tomorrow.  Part of me wants to request the blood test to check tumor markers but I don’t want to come across as crazy.  12 weeks is a long time to wait. 

I always ask my Dr if I should be doing this test or that and I always remind them I have anxiety so I want to know how much is my anxiety and how much of my worry is valid. My worry are always anxiety drivin. Hugs hun..you are okay. 

Please post a follow up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2020 at 10:25 PM, Ms.Moon said:

It could be uterine fibroids.  I have a few and they cause breakthrough bleeding or it might be your birth control.  I had a obgyn visit scheduled for this past month and with the ‘rona rampaging through I cannot get checked so I am guessing it’s the same for you.  If you have any suspicions looking issues there would have been something on the ct scan.  I had one done last year when they were checking on the fibroids and if there was anything else seriously it saw the poop moving through my colon they would have caught something.  

I’m so sorry I just seen this!  Never got a notification for it.  I had an ultrasound and it wasn’t fibroids.  The results say “lesions” on both ovaries which really scares me. .  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Holls said:

I always ask my Dr if I should be doing this test or that and I always remind them I have anxiety so I want to know how much is my anxiety and how much of my worry is valid. My worry are always anxiety drivin. Hugs hun..you are okay. 

Please post a follow up. 

I definitely will.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2020 at 12:40 AM, Holls said:

I always ask my Dr if I should be doing this test or that and I always remind them I have anxiety so I want to know how much is my anxiety and how much of my worry is valid. My worry are always anxiety drivin. Hugs hun..you are okay. 

Please post a follow up. 

I definitely will.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well my dr called me herself yesterday after I had sent in several questions through the patient portal.  She assured me the results were fine and that the “lesions” were cysts.  She told me to forget about it and stop worrying.  She eased my mind somewhat, but In the back of my mind I keep thinking about people who were misdiagnosed and didn’t find out until it was too late.  
one question that I did forget to ask her though was that if they are just cysts, why are they wanting me to do a 12 week follow up?  I’ve never had to do that before with a cyst.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2020 at 5:04 AM, Jessi said:

Well my dr called me herself yesterday after I had sent in several questions through the patient portal.  She assured me the results were fine and that the “lesions” were cysts.  She told me to forget about it and stop worrying.  She eased my mind somewhat, but In the back of my mind I keep thinking about people who were misdiagnosed and didn’t find out until it was too late.  
one question that I did forget to ask her though was that if they are just cysts, why are they wanting me to do a 12 week follow up?  I’ve never had to do that before with a cyst.  

Hi Jessi, I'm not a woman so can't speak to ovaries but I (38 male) was having some bleeding during urination and had sever pain in my lower left back a couple of times of the course of a few weeks.  Went in for a CT scan last week and all was clear and then on the follow-up with my PCP this past Monday he said they saw a stone in my left kidney.  However, I just keep thinking the same as you with not completely trusting CT results.  But we have to keep in mind that they do these all the time and know what they're looking at and we aren't trained like they are.  A CT is good at finding anything bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2020 at 6:06 PM, Mel1981 said:

Hi Jessi, I'm not a woman so can't speak to ovaries but I (38 male) was having some bleeding during urination and had sever pain in my lower left back a couple of times of the course of a few weeks.  Went in for a CT scan last week and all was clear and then on the follow-up with my PCP this past Monday he said they saw a stone in my left kidney.  However, I just keep thinking the same as you with not completely trusting CT results.  But we have to keep in mind that they do these all the time and know what they're looking at and we aren't trained like they are.  A CT is good at finding anything bad.

Thank you!  I was good for a few days after talking to my dr but the anxiety came back yesterday 😔 trying hard to fight it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Jessi,

I could have written your post. I am early 40s and recently  had the same thing. I had A LOT of bleeding. I had some tests, and all came back clear. My doctor said sometimes this just happens. It can happen from friction, left over period blood, etc. I have bled before, but never like this. I panicked for days on end. I truly understand. My right ovary always gives me weird pains/pressure so I get that too!

I wanted to let you know that you aren’t alone. I understand your fear, and your CT have a great result. You are good!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.