Total Eclipse

Finally realizing medicine keeps me sane

The last 9 years I've been on various medicines for physical and emotional health issues. The last two years I've been trying medicines for my panic disorder and generalized anxiety. For my mental health I'm on protriptyline (40mg); 0.50mg of klonipin in the am and 1mg of it in the PM with a 10mg PRN pill of valium I can take up to once daily. I also take magnesium supplements and peppermint tea 🙂 

I am able to expose myself to a lot more stress induced environments, go to doctor appointments, and find myself more pleasant around others. When I am not taking my dosages of my medicine I'm tearful, panic attacks, nauseated, paranoid, and slightly irrational with how fast my mind is going. 

One of the main factors of cutting back on my medicine has always been how weary taking medicine has been stigmatized and how I was fearful of getting addicted. But after really trying to be on task with my medicine the past couple weeks, I have noticed the biggest difference and when I forget a pill what an impact it has on me. 

Did anyone else have to have this break through? I feel like I could of caused myself a lot less physical and emotional suffering by taking this medicine years ago.

It has been some time but low dose valium has helped me tremendously.Also diagnosed with GAD.I tried various other things before meds.One of the biggest problems I encountered was that my trigger or triggers have never been identified.I just walk around with an extremely high level of anxiety.I understand that anxiety is usually rooted in some way to the fear of death.The thing is I don't think I fear it more or less than just about anyone else.I'm not exactly thrilled about taking meds but we do what we must!:)

2 hours ago, Lucid said:

It has been some time but low dose valium has helped me tremendously.Also diagnosed with GAD.I tried various other things before meds.One of the biggest problems I encountered was that my trigger or triggers have never been identified.I just walk around with an extremely high level of anxiety.I understand that anxiety is usually rooted in some way to the fear of death.The thing is I don't think I fear it more or less than just about anyone else.I'm not exactly thrilled about taking meds but we do what we must!:)

People are scared of Benzo's but my doctors have assured me daily low dosage even long term is ok because it improves quality of life. As long as I'm taking it as the doctors are telling me to and not over-taking it and communicating with them how it's making me feel, which have all been positive (better sleep, less migraines, neck pain, less anxiety, nausea, able to do simple tasks anxiety prevented me from); they see it as a huge net positive. I couldn't stop peeing from a bladder flair (of a physical health condition I have); and it even stops me from people 2-3 times an hour. I'm not thrilled about taking them and had a friend talk me through on the phone today and took them with them on the phone, but now that they've kicked in, my sense of logic came clear.

• Like 1

Exactly it really is about quality of life!.I am just a wreck if I don't take my meds.To the people that are med free.....I am envious:)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lucid said:

Exactly it really is about quality of life!.I am just a wreck if I don't take my meds.To the people that are med free.....I am envious:)

I am envious too. I also take medicine for my epilepsy, and other conditions I have. But I also know the stigma on medicine needs to go away. It's ok for us to take medicine, especially under doctors orders. 🙂 

• Like 1